Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know TANSTAAFL...  Moderator - Isometric Land
Full Name Ernest Pazera
Nickname TANSTAAFL 
State/Province, Country WI   United States
GD Gathering City Racine, WI, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.playdeez.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1698  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since Hey, I'm one of the people who created the site, how long do you think I've been here?
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/TANSTAAFL/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
HamQuest: Finishing a Roguelike Team name: PlayDeez Games Project name: HamQuest: The Porkseeker Saga, Chapter I Brief description: I have about 90% of a coffeebreak roguelike finished. I have decided that I want to open up the codebase to new ideas and points of view. G... 
Posted August 21, 2009 1:54:41 PM
Roguelike Playtesters Needed Team name: There is no team name, per se, but if you want to say that you are a member of the "super cool wow w00t" team, feel free! Project name: HamQuest: The Porkseeker Saga Part I Brief description: This game was first released in Decemb... 
Posted July 9, 2009 5:29:22 PM
Atari Muscles in on iPhone I have recently learned that Atari is apparently set to invade iPhone apps. In particular, all iPhone games with gameplay similar to breakout have been "kindly asked" to quietly "go away". Looks like there goes the neighborhood..... 
Posted September 18, 2008 12:13:46 PM
Need Playtesters For Rogue-Alike Team name: "The Team of Playtesters Who Tested HamQuest: The Porkseeker Saga, Chapter I" Project name: HamQuest: The Porkseeker Saga, Chapter I Brief description: HamQuest is a rogue-alike based quite a bit on an old boardgame called He... 
Posted August 10, 2008 8:15:24 AM
Revamp My Website (Casual Games) Team name: PlayDeez Games Project name: PDG Facelift and Viralization Brief description: In 2004, I established PlayDeez.com. Over time, it came to have a number of casual games on it, written for a variety of platforms. Some of them... 
Posted July 12, 2008 3:48:21 PM
Play My Game http://www.playdeez.com/JSJetLag.html Go. Play. Make accounts. Report Bugs. Compete on the top scores board (http://www.playdeez.com/hiscores/jsjetlag.asp). See if you can beat "FlowerPicker". 
Posted October 25, 2007 9:43:59 AM
Leading 0s in Hex Value, C# Style After searching the Docs on this, I still can't figure out how to make my hex values pad with leading zeros using System.Console.WriteLine. I've got it ALMOST doing what I want with: System.Console.WriteLine("D={0,4:X}", myMachine.Regs.D... 
Posted March 25, 2006 4:24:50 PM
I started a Bellevue/Redmond/Seattle GD Group Sorry for spamming myself, but I have recently come to Bellevue WA, and I'm tired of not having anything to do except for work and church. So I created a GD Gathering Group today. Here it is. I also noticed that sadly there were no groups in t... 
Posted March 8, 2006 3:18:27 PM
Left Behind Games Completes Entry into Public Market with Bonanza Gold Left Behind Games Completes Entry into Public Market with Bonanza GoldPosted by: Ernest Pazera at February 7, 2006 3:57:35 PMMURRIETA, Calif. -- Feb. 6, 2006 -- Left Behind Games, exclusive licensee to develop computer and video games based upon the... 
Posted February 7, 2006 10:57:35 AM
signed or unsigned chars in BF Ive been doing a lot of work with BF lately, and so a couple of "interesting problems" occurred to me. One, a BF interpreter usually has an 8 bit "data cell", but I can imagine implementations that has 16 bit chars (a UNICODE implementation, for i... 
Posted July 6, 2005 12:33:56 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Game designs of questionable ethics You have stumbled into the realm of serious games. Whether you want to explore this realm artistically, or whether you want to return to a more abstract less cerebral sort of game is up to you. For example, if you change it to breeding differen... 
Posted September 2, 2010 9:59:07 AM
A single large tileset or Multiple tiny tileset? This is a balancing act. On the two extremes there are: 1) put every single tile into one gigantic image 2) put each tile into its own individual image Option 1 works up until there are a certain number of tiles. Option 2 also works &... 
Posted August 19, 2010 1:00:16 PM
Um.. Feeling a bit overwhelemed I have a question for vets... I'm not telling you not to use tutorials. (And it doesn't sound to me like others are telling you not to use them, either.) Tutorials show how things are done. Tutorials do not show you how to do things. A tutorial can tell you how a window... 
Posted August 18, 2010 4:13:05 PM
[MMO] ALL POSITIONS NEEDED! [MMO] So, I don't get what is so bad about King Jason III.... I mean, he seems to be the legitimate monarch of Bosliat. What justification does Ulashtus IV have for attempting to depose him? As far as I can tell, Ulashtus IV is simply an insurgent... 
Posted August 18, 2010 3:02:41 PM
Game Programming Questions ... Your question is too vague. We know nothing of what platform/api/etc you are using to do your rendering. The answer is probably "some sort of timer", but without knowing more information, we cannot help. 
Posted August 18, 2010 2:01:16 PM
IG Maker? Anyone? Okay: 1) I see that you have a mailinator.com address, which makes me less inclined to help you, since I half expect you to be a spammer or griefer as a result of this. 2) Generally speaking, game maker utilities are fairly narrowly focussed.... 
Posted August 18, 2010 1:57:23 PM
A question on design philosophy. I second refactoring. My fellow responders have covered most of the good stuff already. I will simply add: the player of your game doesn't care what the code looks like. Also, the ability to spot problems in the way you are structuring your... 
Posted August 18, 2010 1:50:53 PM
Um.. Feeling a bit overwhelemed I have a question for vets... This is going to sound a little "zen" or something, so bear with me. If you are at a stage of becoming a developer where you regard a lot of things as just those things to be "memorized", you are pretty early on. That's fine. If that is... 
Posted August 18, 2010 1:46:14 PM
Need Help with an Isometric Project Just one question: Are you a contractor working on this for someone (and getting paid)? Or is this your own hobby project? I ask this because your question basically reads "Can you show me exactly what to do to write the whole game?"... 
Posted August 17, 2010 3:39:03 PM
Testing for any more possible moves? Only loop through the board until a possible move is found. At that point, bail out of the detection function.  
Posted August 17, 2010 3:32:49 PM
View All Replies Made By This User