Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know InnocuousFox...  Moderator - Artificial Intelligence
Full Name Dave Mark
Nickname InnocuousFox 
State/Province, Country NE   United States
GD Gathering City Omaha, NE, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.IntrinsicAlgorithm.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID iadavemark 
Yahoo IM ID iadavemark 
Current Occupation
Job Title President 
Job Description Lead Game Designer and AI Programmer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1649  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/2/2002 7:05:21 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
GDC AI Summit The sessions for this year's GDC AI Summit are starting to go up on the GDC site. There will be 12 total this year -- 8 of which are up already. The rest will be posted within the next few weeks. The 2011 GDC is scheduled for the week that cr... 
Posted December 13, 2010 11:31:35 AM
Why not learning AI? My friend and colleague, Kevin Dill, posted this column over on Game/AI today. It is a well thought-out essay on why learning AI doesn't help us much in game AI. Figured it might be of interest here. Why Not Learn? 
Posted November 4, 2010 6:25:00 PM
Various Alienware models and processors OK folks, looking at getting a new Alienware laptop to replace my ageing Inspiron 9400. This is going to be both my dev machine and the one that I sling around on airplanes, GDC, and client sites. I'm already pretty sold on getting... 
Posted September 8, 2010 2:33:57 PM
ATLComTime.h fighting with /clr:pure? OK... simple Windows Forms app. However, simply by including <ATLComTime.h>, I get a string of C3641 errors: Quote:Error 1 error C3641: 'InterlockedExchangePointer' : invalid calling convention '__stdcall ' for function compiled with /clr:pure... 
Posted August 11, 2010 3:21:04 PM
Warning on NN threads! I'm seriously considering a temporary ban on NN threads. Seriously, folks. What is up with all the NN threads in the past week or so? Are you guys all students who are reaching what is likely going to be the least relevant part of your educat... 
Posted April 22, 2010 12:50:13 PM
My blogs Sorry for the blatant self-promotion but I know that many of you have subscribed to my blogs in the past. Because of dorking with Blogger's BS change, then switching web hosts so I could then move to Wordpress, many people's subscriptions are screwed... 
Posted June 10, 2010 8:10:11 AM
Array in managed C++ class?!? OK... I'm very annoyed. This whole thing is making me resist .NET even more. I'm trying to create an array as a member variable in one class of another class. When I try to compile, it bitches at me about mixed types and whatnot. Here's th... 
Posted May 21, 2010 9:30:43 PM
GDC AI Summit via Twitter For those of you on Twitter, the official hashtags to follow what's going on at the GDC AI Summit this week are: #GDC #AISummit #GameAI  
Posted March 7, 2010 12:07:46 PM
GDC AI Summit I just posted my preview of the AI Summit at GDC. It explains each of the 12 sessions that we are having over the two days. If you are involved in game AI, this is likely the most important event of the year. 
Posted January 28, 2010 6:19:04 PM
Code Project: CHighTime error under VS2008+ OK folks... mystery solving time. I have an extensive project that makes use of this little gem from CodeProject. CHighTime Quote:The CHighTime and CHighTimeSpan are two classes for replacement of COleDateTime and COleDateTimeSpan. Instead of us... 
Posted January 12, 2010 9:33:25 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
My AI Is Invincible :( [SOLVED] Yep. You found places to put random noise. After all, that's the major defining factor between computers and humans... we aren't perfect. Therefore, simulating imperfection is the best bang-for-buck in creating AI. 
Posted December 30, 2010 1:45:07 PM
Does anyone have a relationship diagram maker? Visio does everything. And plenty of stuff that you would never think of wanting. Trust me. 
Posted December 30, 2010 10:47:32 AM
Pathfinding - Discovering an enemy while walking What I'm saying is that either you have nodes or you don't. In your world, if you are in a square, you are legitimately IN a square. Therefore, you can use that node. Your problem stems from the fact that the enemy is in a square but knows nothing of... 
Posted December 28, 2010 12:42:20 PM
My AI Is Invincible :( [SOLVED] Random noise to your decisions and/or your movement. 
Posted December 28, 2010 10:57:49 AM
Pathfinding - Discovering an enemy while walking One approach is to use local steering to get around local objects. That has nothing to do with your graph and is simply free movement to get around objects. However, I believe that most of your problem stems from the premises that you have put in... 
Posted December 28, 2010 10:56:50 AM
Pathfinding - Discovering an enemy while walking Calc the path anyway and see if you can get to the next node... i.e. skip the center of the tile you are in. Remember, tiles and such are arbitrary constructs so we can use arbitrary overrides to those rules. 
Posted December 27, 2010 9:49:44 PM
AI in a fighting game: Reactive or proactive? Quote:Original post by Matias Goldberg The main reasons of this choice were because of what InnocuousFox said (it's gotta be fun) ... and there you have peered into the vast chasm between game industry AI and what academics keep trying to sell.  
Posted December 25, 2010 10:37:46 PM
Flocking Behavior With Starlings, it was about 7 neighbors. This can be a result of the grid-based approach or there are other ways to do it. You can, for example, measure the distances are regular intervals, sort a list by that distance and then take measurements... 
Posted December 24, 2010 12:52:17 PM
AI in a fighting game: Reactive or proactive? Put another ways, often the fun in fighting games comes from players detecting the AI's patterns and reacting to them rather than the other way around. 
Posted December 19, 2010 10:43:01 AM
AI in a fighting game: Reactive or proactive? Not that Kevin is wrong, but one advantage of your other method (in general) is that it has "tells" for the player. It shows a meta mentality of the different states that the player can use to predict what the agent might do and use it to his ad... 
Posted December 17, 2010 8:51:44 PM
View All Replies Made By This User