Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Evil Steve...  Moderator - DirectX and XNA
Full Name
Nickname Evil Steve 
State/Province, Country City of Edinburgh   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer 
Job Description Programming games for the Nintendo DS and Wii. 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 2012  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/30/2003 1:40:25 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/EvilSteve/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
XAudio2: GetPerformanceData() time in milliseconds? Hi all, What is the correct way to convert the performance data given by XAudio2's GetPerformanceData() function to actual time values? Currently, I'm reading the CPU speed from the registry, which gives me 2814MHz, which is 2814000000 cycles /... 
Posted December 8, 2010 12:21:48 PM
HLSL: Samplers in pixel shaders Hi, I'm using HLSL for my pixel shader without the effects framework, and I'm new to pixel shaders (Something I really should have used by now, but never mind...). Here's my very basic shader: struct PS_INPUT { float4 pos : POSITION; fl... 
Posted November 19, 2010 5:02:21 AM
AC'97 motherboard connector - Not enough pins Hi, I bought a new motherboard recently (Asus P7H55-M) to upgrade my server, and I see it has a connector for HD Audio or AC'97 audio. My case has the following connectors: Speaker: L-OUT, R-OUT, RET-L Mic: GROUND, MIC-PWR, MIC-IN, RET-R Howe... 
Posted June 19, 2010 11:35:20 AM
C++: protected I thought I knew this stuff, but apparently I don't... I have the following code, which doesn't compile: class Base { protected: void foo() {} }; class Derived : public Base { public: void Bar() { Base x; x.foo(); } }; ... 
Posted November 13, 2009 6:40:38 AM
2 FPS - Vertex shader bound? Hi all, I'm trying to get a game to work on my laptop (Guild Wars). I've installed it all fine, and it runs - but it runs at 2 FPS with the lowest graphics settings, using PIX to measure FPS. I've checked through PIX, and the game isn't do... 
Posted June 3, 2009 10:09:14 AM
VMR-9 Renderless Mode Crash Hi all, I'm trying to get some D3D+DirectShow video texture stuff working, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm trying to set up VMR-9 renderless rendering, by following the MSDN docs and platform SDK sample. So far I have the following... 
Posted May 11, 2009 4:22:00 PM
Lock-free lists Hi all, I was looking into lock-free data structures recently, to try and implement a lock-free free list. However, every implementation I looked at needs to allocate a new node with operator new, which will cause a lock on the heap while it... 
Posted May 27, 2009 11:04:30 AM
IOCP+AcceptEx vs blocking accept() Hi all, I'm looking into IO Completion Ports for some test code I'm developing, and I have a quick question. I've been reading This Page (I know it's a bit dated), and it seems to imply that using AcceptEx is the correct way to accept connections... 
Posted May 20, 2009 10:19:36 AM
Good 2-Player Games? Hi all, Does anyone have any suggestions for good two player games for my girlfriend and I to play? We've played Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 3, Warcraft 3, Age Of Empires 2 and C&C Generals, which are all RTS', but any genre except FPS is... 
Posted May 17, 2009 6:22:55 AM
Anyone going to the European Nintendo Conference? Anyone else here going to the Wii and/or DSi Nintendo (Registered developer) conference in a couple of weeks? The technical director of the company I work at and myself will be going... 
Posted March 6, 2009 4:12:39 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Removed texture with timestamp + failed to create surface You can still use StretchRect with textures (Well, with the top surface level), but I wouldn't recommend it - 3D hardware is optimised for rendering 3D rather than blitting in 2D, which is essentially what StretchRect does. Even if it does turn out t... 
Posted January 7, 2011 7:54:32 AM
[C] structures which depend on each others My C is a bit rusty, but what if you do: struct List; struct Node; typedef struct{ int length; struct Node* pBegin; struct Node* pEnd; }List; // etc... I.e. prepend the struct keyword to the Node type? EDIT: Ninja'd 
Posted January 7, 2011 6:51:16 AM
Removed texture with timestamp + failed to create surface The whole "Removed texture with timestamp" messages come because the D3D asset manager is trying to free up video memory to get a new asset in. The problem is that you were previously using the managed pool (D3DPOOL_MANAGED), which takes care of s... 
Posted January 7, 2011 4:16:06 AM
Updating Joystick / Wheel Settings It'll depend entirely on the driver, and might not even be possible. Also, moving this to the lounge since it's not DirectX related and you'll probably get a better response there. 
Posted January 6, 2011 12:03:25 PM
DirectX API It may be worth noting that unless your application is completely free (Not even Shareware), you need to pay for an FMOD license. If that's not a problem then I can also highly recommend it. 
Posted January 6, 2011 12:02:16 PM
IDE without WORKSPACES/SOLUTIONS Quote:Original post by growingtired It's a way to make configuring compiler/linker easier? Mission failed. Haven't used C++ in a long time. What century is this?What exactly are you struggling with? Visual Studio gives you a nice GUI to change setti... 
Posted December 23, 2010 10:12:50 AM
[DX9] Everything I touch is leaking memory, and I don't know why The usual cause for memory leaks like this is calling GetBackBuffer(), GetSurfaceLevel(), or some similar Get*() call, and not Release()ing the interface returned. I find the easiest way to track the errors down is to just comment out code until t... 
Posted December 23, 2010 4:36:37 AM
equivalent of Spy++ What messages? You can use Spy++ for monitoring window messages, and Pix (With the DirectX SDK) to examine all Direct3D function calls. What component of DirectX are you talking about? Direct3D? 
Posted December 23, 2010 4:19:06 AM
DX9 Render target size Quote:Original post by Corefanatic Well, I do link against the debug versions and in Visual Studio Debug output I do get messages from D3DX like : D3DX: (INFO) Using SSE2 optimizations.D3DX debug spew comes from linking d3dx9d.lib. Do you get any de... 
Posted December 22, 2010 12:00:46 PM
DX9 Render target size Are you checking return values? Do any function fail? Do the Debug Runtimes say anything? EDIT: Bah, Ninja'd 
Posted December 22, 2010 11:35:36 AM
View All Replies Made By This User