Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Kazade...  Moderator
Full Name Luke Benstead
Nickname Kazade 
State/Province, Country Greater London   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1596  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/1/2004 7:53:05 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/kazade/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
OpenGL 3.2 Released! OpenGL 3.2 Released!Posted by: Kazade at August 4, 2009 10:51:27 AMWell, the Khronos group have been busy! OpenGL 3.2 marks the third release this year of a specification which used to be released annually. Loads of great stuff is in 3.2 (and GLSL 1.... 
Posted August 4, 2009 5:51:27 AM
OpenGL 4.1 released OpenGL 4.1 releasedPosted by: Luke Benstead at August 9, 2010 4:45:07 PMSorry for the most epically late news post ever! Been so busy recently I haven’t been able to find the time to post. Over a week ago Khronos released OpenGL 4.1 with qui... 
Posted August 9, 2010 11:45:07 AM
Overrun with email! Overrun with email!Posted by: Luke Benstead at April 19, 2010 4:49:42 PMJust a quick post. Carsten and I have been completely unable to keep up with all the emails you guys are sending in. Lots of email is great, but we are getting overwhelmed! So... 
Posted April 19, 2010 11:49:42 AM
Russian Translations Russian TranslationsPosted by: Luke Benstead at April 19, 2010 4:30:14 PMMagicWolf sent news of complete Russian translations of the old NeHe tutorials, they can be found here. 
Posted April 19, 2010 11:30:14 AM
Khronos Release OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL 4.0! Khronos Release OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL 4.0!Posted by: Luke Benstead at March 11, 2010 2:17:41 PMThe Khronos group has just announced the release of OpenGL 4.0, with new features including two new tessellation shader stages. Along with 4.0 there is... 
Posted March 11, 2010 9:17:41 AM
New version of Maze3DFlyer New version of Maze3DFlyerPosted by: Luke Benstead at June 22, 2009 9:44:51 AMWhile perusing the comments of the previous post I discovered this comment from "larsh": Quote: I just released a new version yesterday, v. 1.5. Biggest changes: ... 
Posted June 22, 2009 4:44:51 AM
NeHe Maintainers Meet in London! NeHe Maintainers Meet in London!Posted by: Kazade at August 13, 2009 9:52:28 AMOn Tuesday (and again yesterday) Carsten and I met for the first time in London. For a bit of background, Carsten lives in Germany, whereas I live in the UK, we met when v... 
Posted August 13, 2009 4:52:28 AM
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming II Beginning OpenGL Game Programming IIPosted by: Luke Benstead at August 29, 2009 9:38:26 AMFor those of you that have bought Beginning OpenGL Game Programming Second Edition, I’ve uploaded some updated project files to here. This update fixe... 
Posted August 29, 2009 4:38:26 AM
Book Released. SDL gains OpenGL 3 support. Book Released. SDL gains OpenGL 3 support.Posted by: Kazade at March 24, 2009 2:58:07 PMAs some of you may know, Carsten and I (the guys running the site, hi there!) have been working on a 2nd edition to the popular Beginning OpenGL Game Program... 
Posted March 24, 2009 9:58:07 AM
Free tree textures Free tree texturesPosted by: Kazade at December 7, 2008 3:02:32 PMIf anyone is looking for some good quality textures of trees and plants. Yorik van Havre has some great ones available on his site. They are awesome and released under the Cr... 
Posted December 7, 2008 10:02:32 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
C++ vectors This would be safer: std::vector<boost::shared_ptr<Sprite> > vList; for (...) { boost::shared_ptr<Sprite> sprite(new Sprite()); sprite->open( ... ); vList.push_back( sprite ); }  
Posted August 11, 2010 7:20:39 AM
Load up lessons for qt? I've just sent you a PM :) 
Posted May 4, 2010 4:28:50 AM
[C++] Coding Styles Quote:Original post by dmatter Quote:Original post by Kazade 2. I name class members like_this_ (with a trailing underscore). The reason for this is to prevent conflicts between function params vs members also in initialization lists e.g. Person... 
Posted April 14, 2010 11:42:10 AM
[C++] Coding Styles Quote:Original post by Kuraitou 1.) What sort of style do you prefer when naming classes? (CPerson, person, etc.) 2.) How do you name member variables in a class? I thought that it made sense to prefix members with m_, but when I want to make... 
Posted April 14, 2010 10:08:15 AM
Article 13 - Using gluUnProject (with LWJGL) Hi Crede, Thanks for porting, nice to see that code is still useful to people - I wrote it so long ago! Luke. ;) 
Posted March 23, 2010 12:23:07 PM
glDrawElements/Arrays Crash I haven't looked in detail, but I've got a feeling you are writing past the end of the array with this line: tempVertices[numElem * (i * height + j) + 1] = (float) j / height + yDiff; I think the issues might be down to corrupting the stack... 
Posted February 15, 2010 4:53:09 PM
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming 2nd Ed - Conversion Issues This is partially my fault :) I only had VC++ Express Edition to test on, which uses version 9.0 of the project files. The project files are XML so it's easy to change from 9.0 -> 8.0 if you open it in a text editor. The latter pro... 
Posted February 9, 2010 4:58:56 AM
Pros and cons of singleton classes I personally have banned Singletons from my code altogether. For two reasons really, one is that they have this habit of replicating through the code because they promote an easy way out of design. If I put one singleton into the code,... 
Posted February 3, 2010 9:46:34 AM
Pros and cons of singleton classes Quote:Original post by phantom So, while maybe slightly more complicated the 'worse case' is stil the same ("have to ask everyone") but it could, in theory, perform better in a 'best case' setup as instead of having to query 'N' caches the data is c... 
Posted February 3, 2010 9:00:29 AM
Pros and cons of singleton classes Quote:Original post by phantom You could introduce a hieractical resource system, where there is master cache resources could migrate to when requested in more than one context and local caches for non-shared data. It wouldn't even need to... 
Posted February 3, 2010 7:12:31 AM
View All Replies Made By This User