Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Glass_Knife...  Moderator - Java Development
Full Name Timothy Wright
Nickname Glass_Knife 
State/Province, Country NM   United States
GD Gathering City Albuquerque, NM, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL onethingatatime.notyet 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Engineer 
Job Description Programmer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1568  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/8/2001 9:48:47 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Java Games: Active Rendering
Java Games: Keyboard and Mouse
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Fractal Image Algorithm Long story short - A friend of mine at work belongs to a Fractal Society. I wanted to create and image of the Mandelbrot set. I've googled, but I can't find a simple code example. I see lots of math, and I understand how to create it (I think) but... 
Posted August 6, 2010 11:38:06 AM
Oauth and Desktop Apps Recently, I have been messing about with the Netflix API. Part of accessing a users account it using Oauth and sending a callback to the server so they can POST all the tokens and stuff back to the server so you can access the Customers info with th... 
Posted June 20, 2010 11:09:43 AM
Java Forum FAQ It will be a lot of work (mostly for me), but I think it is time to update the Java Forum FAQ. If you could help by letting me know what things should be covered as of 2010, let me know. Off the top of my head, I think a list of game libraries an... 
Posted December 2, 2009 11:56:02 AM
Parsing Huge XML I have a problem. I've got 20 large (20Mb) XML files in a directory, and I am listing them for the user. I need to pull out some info from the root tag, which looks something like this... <root name="Name" time="12:23:33" desc="This is a de... 
Posted October 8, 2009 11:05:36 AM
Empty try/catch blocks I recently read a rant on the web about having to deal with terrible code. The horrible code looked something like this: try { ... some code here } catch( exception ) { // do nothing } Since it is my nature to question, I w... 
Posted September 30, 2009 9:41:04 AM
Upgrading Graphics Card Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I am trying to get a new graphics card for my computer. On the box of a GeForce card, it says: "350 watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 18 amps on the +12 volt rail" What does that me... 
Posted January 9, 2009 12:25:54 PM
Trusted spyware removal Websites? My wife got a spyware/virus on her computer. It is called "Extra Antivir 2.8" Even thought I have Mcafee, the virus still got on there. I have tried updating the virus definitions and scanning the system, but its still there. So my qu... 
Posted December 12, 2008 5:27:36 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 on Windows XP VirtualPC Has anyone done this? I can't get it to work, and since I am not a Linux Master, most of the sites I found explaining how this worked I was unable to comprehend. Thanks 
Posted December 5, 2008 3:48:02 PM
Virtual PC - Install Window 98 Hello, Just for fun, I thought it would be cool to install Windows 98 on my Virtual PC and try out some really old games I dug up in the garage last month. So here is my problem... I have no A: drive for the windows boot disk, which is ne... 
Posted November 26, 2008 10:40:37 AM
Access shared windows folder from linux First of all, I think it is important to point out that I am a complete newbie in the land of Linux. Having said that, I feel as though there is some secret little thing no one is telling me. I have a windows box with a shared folder, and ot... 
Posted November 17, 2008 4:49:34 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
No Java game developers on this forum...? There were a lot discussions a few years ago. I thought with the Android OS using Java there would be more, but no. I'm not sure what everyone is doing. Hopefully they are too busy making cool games? 
Posted January 4, 2011 9:37:56 PM
Need some guidance The Visual Editor plugin for Eclipse died a while ago, but it is limping along. I haven't looked at it in a while. When it died, I switched to using MigLayout for my GUIs and I've been using it for years now. Check it out: MigLayout 
Posted November 11, 2010 7:00:04 AM
Need some guidance Very nice book. I have only had time to glance through it, but it looks great. I wait to read it this weekend. 
Posted November 10, 2010 7:24:52 AM
Setting different behaviors in Java 3D Java3D is no longer supported. java3d You would have an easier time teaching yourself using an OpenGL extension, because there are tons of examples and it is simple to translate examples in C/C++ to Java because the OpenGL calls are very similar. ... 
Posted November 10, 2010 7:13:54 AM
Java Web Start Questions I have several apps at work that were applets, but some people had problems with crashes that seemed to be with the browser plugin. I was never able to debug the problem, and I refactored the code to allow applets and apps with webstart. I original... 
Posted November 5, 2010 6:54:10 AM
Need some guidance I tried both Eclipse and NetBeans around 2001, and I have been using Eclipse. Some guys at work who have started learning Java (they are also big C++ guys) picked Netbeans, and now that I've seen all the new stuff they've added, I don't think you ca... 
Posted October 29, 2010 8:46:18 AM
Java - Saving Data on a Server Quote:Original post by Ashaman73 My suggestion: 1. tomcat 2. jsf (3. hibernate) I agree. Using Tomcat and web pages would be the best way to go. There are lots of examples of code out there. Having said that, writing a Java Webapp is not... 
Posted September 22, 2010 4:03:36 PM
ArrayList and ConcurrentModificationException Well I'm glad I asked, because I had no idea iterator had a remove. I also like the idea of coping the elements that don't need to be removed and then swapping lists. Good stuff. Thanks guys! 
Posted September 16, 2010 7:15:06 PM
ArrayList and ConcurrentModificationException Quote:Original post by rip-off Despite the name, ConcurrentModificationException has nothing to do with Threads. It just means that someone else has modified the structure of the List while you are iterating over it. It has nothing to do with synchr... 
Posted September 14, 2010 9:52:11 PM
Fractal Image Algorithm Quote:Original post by KulSeran --I miss Albuquerque. LA doesn't have good green chile. I don't know what I'm going to do when I leave. The chile is soooo good. Thanks for the info. I need to read it about 20 more times and code it up. I'm... 
Posted August 6, 2010 1:12:24 PM
View All Replies Made By This User