Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know AntiGuy...  
Full Name Wendell Preston
Nickname AntiGuy 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.felixfox.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1100  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/19/2001 10:39:40 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Fast paced music for extended periods I do know a few games that are very good at this, but what are some general thoughts on the subject? By extended periods I mean the same song playing in the 15-30 minute range. What stops a good song can becoming annoying in those lengths? 
Posted January 5, 2011 9:00:47 PM
Collision Shape World Transformation Storage I was looking over a few collision classes and I found it odd that everyone I've seen appeared to only store the local transformation of the shape. Then I found this post which seemed to confirm the idea that the shape is transformed every time... 
Posted December 19, 2010 2:36:37 AM
Capsule Character for Collision? I often hear about using one or two shapes for player collision detection but wouldn't more advanced games use a character made up of shapes? I know this is done for rag dolls but what about using them through the whole game? I say this because... 
Posted December 13, 2010 5:33:12 PM
[C#] Alternatives to downcasting I currently have this kind of situation... public class BaseClass { protected Animal animal; public Animal Animal { get { return animal; } } public BaseClass() { animal = new Animal... 
Posted December 14, 2010 9:01:03 PM
Interactive Animations Anyone have any helpful tips/resources on animations that involve interacting with other players or the environment? For Example: ~ Opening a door ~ Getting into a car ~ Putting a guy in a headlock or giving a hug ~ Flipping objects over... 
Posted December 10, 2010 9:24:39 PM
Exposing list as IEnumerable Generating Garbage? For some reason when I do this.... //Pseudo Code public class TheClass { internal List<object> theList; public IEnumerable<object> TheList { get{return theList;} } void TheLoop() { foreach(Object obj in TheList) ... 
Posted December 3, 2010 12:33:24 AM
Opinions on Guarding inside Combat Systems I'm wondering what people think about combat systems that rely heavily on blocking/guarding? Does it feel like a burden? Do you usually just hack away at the opponent with little care about defense? Does it make the game more difficult to contro... 
Posted November 22, 2010 6:14:44 PM
Texture Coordinate Storage within Model I've read that texture coordinates are applied on a triangle/face basis. I've been storing them on a polygon mesh basis and referencing them from face indices. Wouldn't applying texture coordinates per face, create a lot of vertex duplic... 
Posted October 13, 2010 1:18:16 PM
Are UVW coordinates the standard for 3d games? Can UVW be considered the standard for 3D games as opposed to UV? If not, why? There doesn't seem to be as much information on the subject as I'd hoped. 
Posted October 11, 2010 7:12:23 PM
[C#] Indexing IEnumerable effeciently without allocation I've been using IEnumerable to generate collections from some data but the problem is I can't get the index of any of that data. I've tried using IEnumerable<T>.ElementAt but that works amazingly slow unless you're using the list directly as... 
Posted October 1, 2010 1:48:25 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Fast paced music for extended periods Quote: Finally, the more well written the music is, the easier it is to listen to it over and over That seems to be the gist of it from what I can see also. Quote:AntiGuy I do know a few games that are very good at this, I remember playing t... 
Posted January 7, 2011 12:01:05 AM
Collision Shape World Transformation Storage I think I have a good understanding of all his now. Thanks for the help fellas! 
Posted December 23, 2010 12:53:16 PM
Collision Shape World Transformation Storage Quote:Have you actually started writing your narrow-phase intersection tests yet? I think one thing you might be overlooking (I mentioned this earlier) is that for many types of shapes, the 'transforming' that you speak of is either free (e.g. o... 
Posted December 22, 2010 8:20:47 PM
Collision Shape World Transformation Storage Quote:Original post by jyk If instead you only transform the shapes as needed, the overall number of transforms performed per update will likely be far less than if you transform every shape every update. Quote:Original post by Steve_Segre... 
Posted December 22, 2010 5:39:29 PM
Collision Shape World Transformation Storage But doesn't that still seem excessive to do? Why not do something like this. class TransformVector { Vector3 LocalVector; Vector3 WorldVector; } class Box { TransformVector Center; TransformVector[] Axes; Vector3 H... 
Posted December 21, 2010 6:23:47 PM
Capsule Character for Collision? Well I actually tried it (sorta) and I didn't get very far. My first test was trying out 150 capsules (10 characters) out and I also tried checking contacts for 10 capsules 15x. The results where a bit too slow for my uses. Some optimizations come to... 
Posted December 19, 2010 2:58:29 AM
[C#] Alternatives to downcasting I'm actually pretty satisfied with the results! This thread has truly gone far beyond what I was expecting of it. The rest of the code is rather superfluous but I'm sure I'm not leaving out anything important this time. public class BasePoin... 
Posted December 16, 2010 11:43:48 PM
[C#] Alternatives to downcasting public class BasePoint { public Vector3 Position; public override void Translate(Vector3 v) { Position += v; } public virtual void Scale(float scale) { Position *= scale; } } public interface IPathPoint<TPoint> { ... 
Posted December 16, 2010 7:07:52 PM
Capsule Character for Collision? Quote:Original post by KulSeran You can use bitflags (ie 32flags per int) to do filtering on your collisions. When you enter a ledge grab, your collision box gets the "collide with static geom" flag turned off so he doesn't depenetrate from the... 
Posted December 16, 2010 5:49:13 AM
[C#] Alternatives to downcasting Using the interface does fix the self-referencing but it sorta trades off for another small problem. The BasePoint class that PathPoint derives from has a Vector3 in it for the Position of the point. If I access the Position by {get; set} every time... 
Posted December 16, 2010 4:55:13 AM
View All Replies Made By This User