Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know superpig...  GDNet Technical Lead
Full Name Richard Fine
Nickname superpig 
State/Province, Country Oxfordshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.tbrf.net/ 
ICQ ID 139762446 
AIM ID ubermammal 
Yahoo IM ID tbrfdotnet 
Current Occupation
Job Title Team Leader 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 2116  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/26/2001 8:34:37 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/superpig/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Enginuity, Part I
Enginuity, Part II
Enginuity, Part III
Enginuity, Part IV
Enginuity, Part V
Introduction to Debugging
Knowing the Path
Of Mice, Men, and Mod-Friendly Architecture
Precalculated Pathfinding Revisited
XML in Games
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Hi there! What's your story? Hi folks, I'm trying to collect user stories from you, our users. The idea is to make sure that, going forward, every feature we develop can be justified as being useful to some particular person somewhere. It should help us to understand what mos... 
Posted May 27, 2008 12:26:48 PM
Code review request: LINQ sequence split I've just written a LINQ extension method to split a sequence up into subsequences partitioned by particular elements. Similar to String.Split, but working on any sequence, not just sequences of characters. Here's my solution. Can you find an... 
Posted March 25, 2010 9:37:18 AM
It's Christmas Time Again... As Christmas fast approaches, here's wishing you all a very happy time, from all the staff here at GameDev.net! As you have no doubt noticed, we've put up our seasonal decorations once more. Festive, don't you think? We recognise, though, tha... 
Posted December 15, 2009 10:36:47 AM
Get yourselves ready to enter this thread. Are you ready? I hope you're ready. I told you to get ready, in the title up there. You need to be prepared, like a scout or some shit. Like a ninja. Like Nicholas McNinjatits. Did you bring a lunch? Bring a lunch. Pack some sandwiches up in that shi... 
Posted December 14, 2009 4:27:10 PM
ACORN I was watching O'Reilly earlier tonight, and he had a couple of commentators on discussing the ACORN tapes. The guy commentator - I can't remember his name, unfortunately - said that the film-makers had "by their own admission" tried to catch ou... 
Posted September 15, 2009 10:12:14 PM
Asset management systems Hi folks, Have any of you encountered systems for managing audio assets during the development process? Like, for storing and searching a database of FX, loops, sounds, music, etc... So far I've found Sonomic TLS, Soundminer, MSoft's ServerSoun... 
Posted May 4, 2008 5:32:35 PM
Countdowns... I've just installed a little countdown timer on my machine to count down the days until I have to hand in my project. Currently I've got 25 days, 6 hours, 58 minutes, and a few seconds. I'm not yet sure whether the timer is going to motivate... 
Posted April 22, 2008 11:58:58 PM
Having upload problems? OK, so a bunch of people have had problems uploading their entries. I'm willing to give a bit of leeway to people when it comes to getting entries up on top, but only if they've registered their submission. That is, you have to go to the cont... 
Posted April 2, 2008 9:27:36 PM
Not sure what's going on, but... ...I've just had a half hour sit-down with the police. I'm not entirely sure what's happening - they wouldn't tell me many details - but it seems to involve Zahlman. We've spent a half hour going through his account records and IP logs and stuff.... 
Posted April 1, 2008 8:17:50 AM
Submission system is now online Head here to manage your entry. (You need to be logged in, naturally). Please let me know if you run into problems - the code is almost identical to last year's submission system, so it should largely work, but there may be a few kinks. Sorry... 
Posted March 31, 2008 9:49:41 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Programming changed? Forever? Quote:Original post by daviangel Quantum computers use a qubit which can be 0, 1 or both. That's not really accurate - a qubit can be 0, 1, or 'not yet observed.' The difference is significant because you can't examine a qubit and say 'yep, it'... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:48:53 AM
Programming FML Quote:Original post by Koobazaur Yes, I could create a complete streaming abstraction layer with classes deriving from the std::stream class, handling every possible scenario and in case of errors, of course, throw a new custom set of exceptions tha... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:41:01 AM
Page format problem IE8 Fixed now? 
Posted January 5, 2011 12:10:28 AM
Why did Microsoft release Kinect only for Video Games? Self-driving cars have been available technology for over a decade. Nobody wants to develop them into products, because customers would rather take a 10% human-administered failure rate than a 2% machine-administered failure rate. 
Posted December 31, 2010 9:28:29 AM
I'm not a game programmer...screw games Some people are advising you to stick with the low-level coding. If that's really what you want to do, then fine, go for it, but I really still would recommend having a play around in a complete game engine first. Playing around with stuff at a high-... 
Posted December 22, 2010 6:02:30 PM
I'm not a game programmer...screw games Quote:Original post by superpig FWIW, what you've described would take about 15 minutes to build in Unity [smile] Like so. (Took me a bit longer because I had to figure out how/where to upload it). Very few game programmers, these days, spend... 
Posted December 21, 2010 10:30:56 PM
A recipe program It sounds basically like you're building a database. Have you considered just putting this all in SQLite or something? If you're using size-flexible STL containers (like std::list) then why does the number of ingredients affect how new ingredients... 
Posted December 21, 2010 10:07:14 PM
I'm not a game programmer...screw games FWIW, what you've described would take about 15 minutes to build in Unity [smile] 
Posted December 21, 2010 9:59:20 PM
good collision detection strategy If you built the sprite using vector artwork, you can just use that - convert any curves to line segments, and then triangulate the result. If you built the sprite using bitmaps, then there are 'vectorizing' algorithms that exist, like sparse pixe... 
Posted December 21, 2010 9:57:28 PM
Pong Paddle problem, C# Here is what your program is doing, in order, every frame, if the up/down arrow is held down: Clamp the paddle so it's not crossing the boundary Move the paddle in the direction of the player's arrow Draw the paddle See the problem now? 
Posted December 21, 2010 4:13:29 PM
View All Replies Made By This User