Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know AverageJoeSSU...  
Full Name  
Nickname AverageJoeSSU 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Santa Clara, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1106  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/30/2007 12:17:36 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
multi-channel height map for multi level terrain. I am looking to make terrain with caves and tunnels and possibly other similar situations. I have an idea of using a complete texture using each channel to represent a level of a surface. abstractly. a standard RGBA would be able to handle 4 l... 
Posted December 27, 2010 1:37:27 PM
High Quality Cel Shading (Crackdown, windwaker) I understand the lighting equations behind them, but does crackdown or windwaker do anything differently that makes it better?  
Posted December 14, 2010 1:59:27 PM
steps for level design? So i'm not so much talking about the gameplay aspects of a level as i am the construction aspects. the level is outdoor terrain. Do i start out with an enormous plane and reshape and build it up, adding props as i go? do i build it sections at a time... 
Posted November 22, 2010 1:02:49 PM
Workflow for Tesselation - Model to Shaders How does one create a Model (character or whatever) to be tesselated? Do you generate the LOD for the mesh and then the shader goes between the different LODs? how do the tesselation primitives play into this (ie patches). links to this w... 
Posted November 9, 2010 5:21:41 PM
Pros/Cons of using WM_PAINT for rendering Pretty straight-forward, What is the OpenGL 3.0 way of handling the Windows Window system? (ie creating a window)  
Posted October 16, 2010 1:48:24 PM
Unable to release Device Context. Anyone know why I would be unable to release my device context on shutdown? I tried looking around for it but nobody gives any reason why ReleaseDC would return false, just that it does on failure. EDIT: i get the error code: ERROR_DC... 
Posted October 15, 2010 1:19:08 PM
Lua BitOp test file causes exception? anyone else get this using the source? bad argument #1 to '?' (number expected, got no value) line 22 of the test file: if pcall(f) or pcall(f, "z") or pcall(f, true) then where f is the function "tobit"  
Posted October 5, 2010 1:29:03 AM
XInput in a non directX game? Is it alright for me to use Xinput for a non directx game? I'm guessing that it can pretty much stand alone from the rest of the api. Is this also true for directinput? do the two supplement each other or is xinput the latest? i know x... 
Posted October 6, 2010 1:53:26 AM
.c and .cpp files in one visual studio project will it compile the the C files as C and the CPP files as C++? or is there something more i have to do for this to happen? i do not want my .c files compiled as c++. 
Posted October 5, 2010 1:35:35 PM
Thoughts on Animators... to get something to go to point xyz is simple enough, but I have an idea as to give more robust move sequences to an object without going crazy with bezier path traversal (at least not yet). My plan is to have a array of animation sequences per ga... 
Posted October 1, 2010 12:18:43 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
How to make a Game Engine? People including the OP are way off topic here. you want to make a game? then use an engine. Advice from someone who spent the last 2 years of his free time trying to roll his own? use something like Unity FIRST. www.unity3d.com. There, you can... 
Posted December 29, 2010 5:59:09 PM
multi-channel height map for multi level terrain. Mainly because i am using unity. 
Posted December 28, 2010 1:10:12 AM
multi-channel height map for multi level terrain. Interesting. the reason for doing this is to have destructible terrain like the game Scorched Earth. If it was heightmapped based i could write shaders for rendering in explosions and such that leave craters. It is definitely non-trivial to do thi... 
Posted December 27, 2010 6:46:46 PM
Updated my (nvidia) driver, now RTT is broken? yea but this has been going on now for 5 months or so... and this is a regression, something that should be easy to track down. I have the EXACT same problem. I have had this problem with my Quadro and posted a thread about it on here... 
Posted December 13, 2010 2:46:54 PM
Moving from DirectX to Java? You might try learning JavaFX. It has a new hardware accelerated 2D scenegraph and it working on 3D. The APIs just moved to the java language and are going to be available in java next release. Swing is not hardware accelerated and is outdat... 
Posted November 8, 2010 6:33:28 PM
Loading LUA file C:\Users\Gareth\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\LUA\LUA\Game\Scripts\Main.lua copy and paste that into your folder window path and see if it exists (i doubt it does)... EDIT: If it does, try putting the script temporarily under C:... or make... 
Posted November 3, 2010 5:58:42 PM
How using LUA in my game? okay okay... that is too complicated. start with something simple in lua. for example, how do you construct a level? do you have a file that you parse? try parsing it in lua and creating objects in the level from lua. This is an extremely power... 
Posted October 28, 2010 5:01:23 PM
How using LUA in my game? a description of your game might help..... 
Posted October 26, 2010 4:52:59 PM
Having problems with HWND im not sure what makes an hwnd for a control different than a main window, but i implemented the following with opengl inside wpf, and it works pretty well. http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/D3DCsharpWinform/  
Posted October 18, 2010 5:43:47 PM
A new, C++-meant-for scripting language: IonScript I'm surprised someone hasn't griped about "LUA" vs Lua lol. Anyways, I think your C++ embed impl is interesting. I like your examples, but have you challenged your language yet? for example, an xml parser? an event system? what about opera... 
Posted October 18, 2010 5:32:55 PM
View All Replies Made By This User