Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know joshualimm...  
Full Name  
Nickname joshualimm 
State/Province, Country Western Australia   Australia
GD Gathering City Bentley, Western Australia, Australia
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/18/2005 4:57:15 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
GDI-like functions for DirectX10? Hi, I'm used to using GDI functions (e.g, Ellipse, Rectangle, FillRect, Polygon, GradientFill, LineTo, DrawText etc). Was wondering if there are anything equivalent in DirectX10? Or can I use these functions to manipulate the buffer? Reason... 
Posted March 6, 2010 10:01:11 PM
CG252 Assignment My very first OpenGL program for my uni's assignment. Had to fake a lot of effects (otherwise doable via shaders), since I am still learning. [edit] I'm also using GLUT for my window, since the assignment had to be platform-independent, and I hav... 
Posted November 6, 2005 5:35:04 PM
[c++] How to load animated 3d models? Ok, so the topic is a bit misleading. Personally, I'm fine with reading file format specs and implementing them. But I'm fairly new to DirectX programming, so I'd like to know how one would normally implement it. Eg, the MD2 format. Do I use... 
Posted December 29, 2006 5:20:16 AM
Managed DirectX Help [Solved] Hi, I'm learning Managed DirectX using C# at the moment, but I can't seem to get Mesh.Box() to work correctly. Mesh box = Mesh.Box(device, 2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f); I've added Microsoft.DirectX, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D and Microsoft.DirectX.Dir... 
Posted December 10, 2006 7:54:20 PM
Help with Direct3D Normals Hi, I know that this is like one of the simplest, most basic concepts, but I just can't get it to work with Direct3D. I haven't been in touch with 3D math/programming for more than 6 months now, so do correct me wherever I'm wrong. From my u... 
Posted July 28, 2006 10:03:51 PM
Need help with gaussian blur, or any type of blur.. Hi. I'm fairly new to filter and blurring algorithm, so I'm kinda lost with the many threads here about blurring an image (in real time). Therefore, I's hoping if someone can recommend me any articles on the topic (in layman's terms), or perhaps... 
Posted October 11, 2005 6:06:59 AM
Help: Porting issues (Win32 to Linux). Hi. I've been working on an opengl project on windows, and everything worked fine. But now that I've ported it over to Linux, there seem to be some problems with my shading. My entire scene loaded fine, and everything (models, textures, ani... 
Posted October 10, 2005 9:36:30 PM
Need help achieving lighting effect Hi. As attached, I've currently came up with this lighting for a sample room. However, I was wondering if someone could teach me how to achieve this effect (note that this is an edited image) Basically, I want a more curved transistion of... 
Posted September 30, 2005 3:56:52 PM
Help drawing parametic surfaces? hi. I need to draw a parameteric surface in opengl. I've managed to generate all the vertices correctly, but I've no idea how to correctly use them to draw a surface. Here's a snippet of my code: float** calcShape2(int numVerts) { float... 
Posted September 18, 2005 5:08:38 AM
Problems drawing a model hi! I've created a function that's responsible of loading in a text-file-based model, and another function to draw the whole model. Well, I dare say that all the vertices position have been correctly imported, since the function successfully draws th... 
Posted September 26, 2005 6:00:52 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
GDI-like functions for DirectX10? Thanks Steve for the info. Will give that a try! Regards, Josh 
Posted March 9, 2010 7:30:25 AM
GDI-like functions for DirectX10? Hi, Thanks for the reply! For a moment there, I thought you were talking about DirectDraw. Got me confused there for a sec! Will definitely check it out. However, here's an extension to my question: Are there any similar GDI-like function... 
Posted March 8, 2010 6:57:06 AM
[c++] How to load animated 3d models? Thanks for the reply. Ok, I know I should be doing some research/reading before asking questions, but I just wanted to know, how does one animate a model using ID3DXMesh? Are each frame stored in different subsets? And where does boned/skinne... 
Posted January 1, 2007 10:42:22 AM
[c++] How to load animated 3d models? Hi, and thanks for the reply! So are you saying that for each frame, I should use a separate vertex buffer? Because that's my question exactly: Do I use one vertex buffer to store all vertices for all frames? Or 1 vertex buffer for each frame... 
Posted December 31, 2006 1:48:58 AM
[c++] How to load animated 3d models? Hi again, First of all, I've realised my mistake. Never really understood the BaseVertexIndex and MinIndex arguments in the DrawIndexedPrimitive function. After re-reading the documentation, I think it's obvious now. Sorry for the trouble, and th... 
Posted December 30, 2006 1:43:15 AM
Managed DirectX Help [Solved] Remigius: Hi, and thanks for the suggestions and help! honestly, I'd rather write my code in C++, but I think I would be able to learn DirectX better via C#. Hence, I'm trying to stay away from as many "managed" functions as possible, eg the Manager... 
Posted December 11, 2006 6:19:06 AM
CG252 Assignment Well, our intro course covers matrix transformation, perspective and ortho/oblique projection, rasterisation(DDA, bresenham, midpoint), visible surface detection (backface, painter, warnock, z-buffer), empirical lighting (phong illum model [grin]), a... 
Posted November 10, 2005 6:42:19 PM
CG252 Assignment fishhead314: lol. yeah, it's all about the learning process [smile]. It's just that I got fed up with specifying vertices after vertices (as well as calculating the normals and uv coordinates for each face), that I just decided to let an external pr... 
Posted November 8, 2005 2:42:26 PM
CG252 Assignment Quote:looks nice though( from a graphical standpoint. the subject matter is... a different story ). subject eh? [GRIN]. The requirements of the assignment was to create a scene with blah objects, nothing about the theme. So I thought it'd be fun t... 
Posted November 7, 2005 4:49:57 PM
CG252 Assignment hi, and thanks for the replies! Previous experience? No. This is the first time I'm using a graphics api. In fact, this is the first graphics units in my course. I think I'm going to stick with OpenGL a bit longer, and see how far I can take it (or i... 
Posted November 7, 2005 3:57:15 PM
View All Replies Made By This User