Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Obscure...  Moderator - The Business of Game Development
Full Name Dan Marchant
Nickname Obscure 
State/Province, Country Greater London   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.obscure.co.uk 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description Development Consultant and freelance producer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1762  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/10/2000 7:57:11 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net//journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
The new Star Wars prequel The movie focuses on Lando and the trailer looks really sweet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATeU-r0GDU. 
Posted August 9, 2010 9:24:12 PM
Lost spin off series announced by ABC. I haven't read the Lost thread as I am still watching the last series, so this may have been mentioned already. ABC have announced a spin off show to keep Lost fans happy and launched a trailer. Lost spin off trailer. 
Posted June 4, 2010 3:10:31 AM
I like black people but as the old joke goes I can't eat a whole one. Quote:An Australian publisher has had to pulp and reprint a cook-book after one recipe listed "salt and freshly ground black people" instead of black pepper. Penguin Group Australia ha... 
Posted April 17, 2010 12:28:59 PM
new Space Ark (XBLA) movie posted A new game play video of Strawdog Studios' XBLA game, Space Ark, has just been posted on Youtube. A 3 step guide to terraforming Step 1. Collect the DNA combos Step 2. Reach the combo target Step 3. Exit the level Sounds easy but... 
Posted February 26, 2010 4:00:42 AM
Updated - Space Ark heading for planet XBLA Update: We have just posted a game play video Youtube gameplay video Space Ark reboots the 80s arcade game genre. It is a fun homage to the bright and bouncy arcade games of the late 80s such as Rainbow Island and Arkanoid, wrapped in modern t... 
Posted May 21, 2009 9:59:13 PM
The value of free OK so I make games for a living and have been looking at the games market - specifically the issue of free/paid games such as iPhone apps and online free to play games. I just wanted to ask those who have played a free game at some time (eit... 
Posted September 2, 2009 3:14:57 AM
Free Lite version of Turbo Duck out now. Strawdog Studios have released a number of updates for our bath-time inspired iPhone game Turbo Duck including a update to the main app, the launch of a free Lite version and a special offer price of 99 cents. Full App updated to version 1.1 The... 
Posted July 23, 2009 9:30:31 PM
[updated] Turbo Duck for iPhone released Strawdog Studios are just putting the finishing touches to their first iPhone game Turbo Duck (www.strawdogstudios.com/games/turboduck/). Update: Turbo Duck is available now on the iTunes App Store Turbo Duck iTunes link Turbo Duck: It's... 
Posted March 18, 2009 2:26:12 AM
Flight Based Games Hi folks, I am looking for help in tracking down any info on flight based games. Anything within the last few years on either... Flight sims Arcade (as in fun/non-sim) flight games Any games you can recall that were recently published... 
Posted April 26, 2008 5:21:58 AM
I'm pleased Actually I am very very pleased because a game I have been involved with for the last two years is finally done (and the press release has just gone out). It is in the very final stages of being prepped for launch on XBLA so in a couple of days... 
Posted July 20, 2007 8:37:41 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Assets Quote:Original post by Punk Designer If you get people to create assets for you (graphics, art, music, etc.) what are the laws on who owns these assets? If you pay for those assets are they yours? Not unless you have a written agreement wh... 
Posted January 6, 2011 9:49:17 PM
Legalities involving classic games by defunct companies Irishcream is correct. While the code, art and sound and maps are protected by copyright the game-play mechanics are not. Looks at Command and Conquer and Warcraft - very very similar game mechanic. The games are basically the same game but all the o... 
Posted January 5, 2011 9:17:15 PM
How much do my grades/school matter? Quote:Original post by Xetahex All of the jobs I've looked at getting into tend to say "2-4 years of experience in X" even the entry level ones. Is there some secret to getting in on your first job or some sort of job I can get without the... 
Posted January 3, 2011 5:55:08 AM
"fan games" question Quote:Original post by wohoo19m Just wondering about something. I remember reading something about copyright laws and "parodies". As in, parodies of copyrighted material had the right to use the copyrighted material. Would "fan games" fall under thi... 
Posted January 2, 2011 10:27:04 PM
Old game clones and copyright Quote:Original post by barduck By definition, a "clone" is something that has some degree of similarity to the original game, I wonder how much of that similarity is legal. Obviously, I don't want to step over any legal issues, so my questions are a... 
Posted December 23, 2010 8:19:11 PM
Ideal Budget? Quote:Original post by JensKiil I was just looking to see if there was an "ideal" indie budget. like 15k USD or something..... Multiply that by 10 for starters. There was a thread over at http://forums.indiegamer.com/ recently about the budgets fo... 
Posted December 19, 2010 2:57:39 AM
A question regarding portfolio for interview. Moved to Breaking In. 
Posted December 19, 2010 2:47:34 AM
Virtual Property Trading, Management etc Quote:Original post by markm Would ownership of virtual property be useful in breaking into the industry? No. (you really didn't need the 17 paragraph preamble. Just asking the question would have been fine). Quote:Presumably if one were to... 
Posted December 18, 2010 9:09:04 AM
What roles do employees play in a Game dev company? Quote:Original post by tomsteels123 ....and how many of them does it take to achieve the indervidual roles, That would depend on what type of game and how big it is. One size does not fit all. Quote:....also when a Game developer has co... 
Posted December 18, 2010 8:48:49 AM
A strange dilemma, need help! Quote:Original post by Fenrisulvur I don't know how pretty average students could make it in the games industry. They won't. Schools don't tell their students but only the top students actually end up working in games. The average students end... 
Posted December 8, 2010 8:57:36 PM
View All Replies Made By This User