Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know hplus0603...  Moderator - Multiplayer and Network Programming
Full Name Jon Watte
Nickname hplus0603 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1946  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/3/2003 1:20:43 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/hplus/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Pathfinding With the C4 Game Engine
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
REST and games don't mix For those interested, here's a blog entry musing about why web-style REST operations don't work well in a games-centric world. For many games programmers, this is obvious, but for many web programmers, this is apparently news. REST and games... 
Posted December 22, 2010 2:11:50 PM
Erlang clustering for servers This thread is created to factor out a separate off-topic discussion from another thread.  
Posted June 1, 2010 3:27:51 PM
kW X-port for 3ds Max 2011 / version 1.5.0 available! My exporter for 3ds Max, generating well-formed .X files for many scenes where other exporters fail, has been updated for 3ds Max version 2011. I've also fixed several user-reported problems. Give it a spin and see for yourself!  
Posted May 16, 2010 7:22:17 PM
Farewell, Darkstar, we hardly knew you Project Darkstar is reportedly going dark: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/04/oracle_lights_out_for_project_darkstar/. I think that project researched some interesting directions, although I personally had my reservations about the planned-fu... 
Posted February 4, 2010 12:12:36 PM
Networked hashing database There are large, peer-to-peer "hash" file systems like some P2P networks of various kinds. There are in-core "hash" databases like Berkeley DB etc. There are distributed, serialization-based object databases. There are LAN-based path-to-file file... 
Posted November 29, 2009 9:28:43 PM
Message Queues: AMQP, XMPP, or whatnot? I'm going through a bit of a re-think of large-scale multiplayer games. Suppose I were to build something on top of existing open protocols, and I want to serve 1,000,000 simultaneous players (just to scope the problem). Suppose each playe... 
Posted December 16, 2009 11:05:58 PM
kW X-port 1.4.4 adds the scripting interface! kW X-port version 1.4.4 adds the MaxScript interface back. It somehow got lost in a previous version. kW X-port is the premier .X file exporter for 3ds Max versions 9, 2008, 2009 and 2010, and comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. It stores exporte... 
Posted November 1, 2009 11:11:49 PM
kW X-port 1.4.3 -- now with 64-bit support! Hot on the heels of 1.4.2 (which is sooo yesterday!) comes 1.4.3. Not only does it add support for 64-bit, but it also fixes the occasional "corrupt shader path" bug! Get it while it's hot!  
Posted October 4, 2009 8:24:21 PM
kW X-port version 1.4.2 released! I fixed the "wrong tangent basis is exported" bug, and worked hard to make the installer friendlier for people with non-English versions of 3ds Max and older versions of Windows Installer. The result is version 1.4.2, hot off the press! I hope you'l... 
Posted October 3, 2009 10:45:07 PM
The inside of a game server illustrated I wanted to teach myself Expression Blend 3, so I made an animation of what goes on on the inside of a game server. While there's no code involved, it might still be of interest to someone trying to get up to speed. Take a look and let me k... 
Posted August 28, 2009 9:26:32 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
SFML UDP problems I have not used SFML at all. Have you tried just using regular sockets/winsock?  
Posted January 6, 2011 9:39:17 PM
A few conceptual questions (regarding servers) Quote:Original post by Litz Understood everything, thank you very much. What I was doing was basically have a database server (made by me) connect to a database (using MySQL), and saving whatever was important, so I ended up doing everything ther... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:56:38 PM
A few conceptual questions (regarding servers) There are three concepts here: 1) Services that your server/s provide to the clients. 2) Services that you make use of to implement those services. 3) Physical factoring between services. What you call "servers" really are services, and can a... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:34:22 PM
Building offline game server There really isn't much difference between networked locally and networked on the Internet -- except if you find a cheater locally, you can walk over to him and punch him in the face :-) If all you want to do is play games on deployment,... 
Posted January 5, 2011 10:58:42 AM
About the behaving of the servers Quote:Original post by Navychan by channel table I mean the file descriptor table each process has, with the entry 0 referencing stdin, entry 1 - stdout, entry 2 - stderr (by defaults); this table has a limit size of 32 in unix standard, and I don't... 
Posted January 4, 2011 11:06:58 PM
About the behaving of the servers What is this "channel table" you're talking about? It has nothing to do with epoll or the basic sockets library, AFAIK. Even using plain select(), you can serve thousands of users from a single thread on standard UNIX host. Btw: Ubuntu makes... 
Posted January 4, 2011 1:05:17 PM
FPS Game Server Most FPS games show the player heading to other players -- it is actually important gameplay information. Thus, the movement packet typically includes movement command bits (forward, sprint, etc), plus heading information. However, not all is lost. F... 
Posted January 4, 2011 1:00:13 PM
Iphone/Ipod multiplayer game Quote:What coding standards and techniques should i use to hide this delay and lag? That depends on what type of game you're building. If your send rate is 20 packets per second, then you should expect a latency of no more than 100 millise... 
Posted January 4, 2011 12:52:59 PM
About the behaving of the servers Quote:I have been working with networking non stop for days now. Only 9,970 hours to go :-) Seriously, though, two suggestions: 1) Why use non-blocking sockets if you use select()? If select() returns the socket as readable, the next call to r... 
Posted January 3, 2011 12:21:14 PM
About the behaving of the servers Quote:Original post by Navychan as far as I know (and I don't know many) asynchronous sockets are unreliable, and for a game I'd need it to be reliable... you mean I should implement a handshaking protocol? doesn't sound like hard but... a bit weird... 
Posted January 3, 2011 1:45:54 AM
View All Replies Made By This User