Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Sneftel...  Moderator - Consoles, PDAs, and Cell Phones
Full Name Ben Sunshine-Hill
Nickname Sneftel 
State/Province, Country PA   United States
GD Gathering City Philadelphia, PA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.sunshine-hill.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 2064  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/7/2001 7:29:29 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/sneftel/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Improving Performance in C++ with Compile Time Polymorphism
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Pathfinding, and perturbing source and destination Is there a way to use A*, or a variant of A*, to perturb the source and destination nodes slightly without having to fully re-plan each time? That is, given that I've already gone to the trouble of finding a shortest path from position (15,35) to pos... 
Posted April 20, 2010 10:45:39 AM
RSS feed is broken The front page's RSS feed strips out HTML tags instead of entity-encoding them, turning the readably-formatted posts into horrible walls of text. It's sort of a silly thing to do. 
Posted June 5, 2009 12:15:08 PM
software for exploring/developing ideas When working on a new technique or algorithm, I'll generally end up with a poorly organized TXT document, with various tangents, outstanding issues, and teeny bits of Useful Stuff To Not Disregard all jumbled up. Rigid hierarchical structuring i... 
Posted August 6, 2008 4:38:53 PM
Polymorphism and encapsulation Is the requirement that virtual functions must be members of the class they are polymorphic over in conflict with the admonition that, where possible, behavior should be implemented in free functions rather than member functions? 
Posted May 28, 2008 1:46:34 PM
Interpolation types in HLSL Has anyone gotten interpolation types to actually work? I'm referring to the modifiers documented here. I have this as VS->PS pipe: struct vertexOutput { float4 HPosition : POSITION; float3 UV : TEXCOORD0; floa... 
Posted April 25, 2008 6:39:35 PM
Abstract prototypes in XML (with XML Schema) Let's say I'm defining a collection of shapes, and I want three blue boxes next to each other. <shapes> <box> <color id="blue"/> <pos x="0" y="0"/> </box> <box> <color id="blue"/> ... 
Posted April 21, 2008 4:08:06 PM
Generalized axis alignment metric Given a 3x3 rotation matrix M, is there any clean, robust, simple way to come up with a scalar describing how axis-skewed it is? That is, I'd like it to return 0 for a 90 degree rotation about the X axis, because each of the axes lines up with a unit... 
Posted March 15, 2008 2:49:55 PM
The headset as an enabler of local gameplay When I got my 360, it came with an absolutely free bit of uselessness: a headset. Useless because I'm not a fan of the online play scene, and because outside that particular arena it has no reason for being. Or does it? The headset represents... 
Posted February 29, 2008 10:32:14 AM
I want YOU to suggest content for the FAQ As many of you have noticed, the FAQ for the Consoles, PDAs, and Cell Phones forum is a bit spare right now. Ideally, the FAQ would consist of a honkin' truckload of links to individually picked sites that people have found useful for development ... 
Posted January 31, 2005 5:31:57 AM
Equal end-partitioning of acyclic graph Alright, so I'm all thinked out, and all googled out, and still haven't gotten anywhere. Here's the deal. Consider an undirected, acyclic graph G = {V,E}. Of the vertices V, there is a set V' ⊂ V of "marked" vertices. (as a potential simplifyi... 
Posted January 15, 2008 5:07:26 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
trying to build a 32bit binary on my 64bit system but it wont compile for me Quote:Original post by helpmenow also im not telling code:blocks where the location of the libraries is. Of course you are. You may not be aware of it, though. Do you know what the significance of backquotes is in UNIX shell scripting? Do you know... 
Posted January 7, 2011 1:10:36 AM
trying to build a 32bit binary on my 64bit system but it wont compile for me EDIT: Are you sure sdl-config is giving you the location of the 32-bit libs? I don't see why it would. 
Posted January 6, 2011 11:01:49 PM
Dictionary hash table type uses chaining by default? Chaining is to deal with hash collisions, not key collisions, and it is not the only strategy for dealing with hash collisions. Whether duplicate keys may be inserted depends purely on whether the hash table implementation you're using chec... 
Posted December 30, 2010 11:17:33 PM
Catmull-Rom 10 is not the max range. A Catmull-Rom spline passes through all of the control points, and as a result usually is not fully within the convex hull of the control points. Consider -- how would it pass through p2 smoothly on its way from p1, and... 
Posted December 22, 2010 1:57:17 PM
Mutex Lock Problem There's a lot wrong with it, but one biggy is that the compiler is likely to have removed that for-loop entirely, since (as far as it is concerned), _acquiredID could never change, because that code doesn't change it. The solution to that involv... 
Posted December 21, 2010 3:08:09 PM
Can someone help me name my API? Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto Quote:Original post by CzarKirk Why not call it Stevie3D. Catchy. not quite the level of professionalism I was looking for... lol Business Utility for Recreation Professionals, then. 
Posted December 21, 2010 3:02:58 PM
decompressor This is LZ77, more or less. It's not a bad algorithm, and it's quite simple to implement. Check out LZW as a slightly more advanced variant. 
Posted December 21, 2010 2:55:08 PM
Conservation of angular velocity of a rigid body Quote:Original post by dante_sysu "If you have a body floating through space with no torque acting on it, the body's angular momentum is constant. This is not true for a body's angular velocity...".Compare that to: Quote:Suppose a rigid body w... 
Posted December 21, 2010 11:48:11 AM
Row/col vectors & row/col major matrices Egh.... you can, but don't. That code lies -- it implies that M is the model matrix, when really it's the transpose of the model matrix. Moreover, column vectors are The Standard Way to do homogeneous coordinate transformations. Why would you want to... 
Posted December 20, 2010 1:25:25 PM
Row/col vectors & row/col major matrices Yes, and in fact this was the original reason for OpenGL's rather idiosyncratic matrix packing. 
Posted December 20, 2010 12:57:31 PM
View All Replies Made By This User