Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Daerax...  
Full Name  
Nickname Daerax 
State/Province, Country Portsmouth   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Southsea, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Human 
Job Description Pretending to exist 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1735  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/2/2002 2:22:04 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Children of Tomorrow - How far would you go?. If I knew I could reduce my child's chance of getting certain diseases and disabilities I would certainly not hesitate to shell out the money. If I could increase their potential intelligence and athletic ability I would onl... 
Posted February 13, 2009 8:40:00 PM
A question on Syntax Do you prefer a terse syntax or a more verbose one? Or something more in between? Is it possible for a language to be too terse? Where the term write only language becomes true (see APL or K. code: (!R)@&{&/x!/:2_!x}'!R taken from wiki). Is... 
Posted September 2, 2008 10:03:29 AM
Monads on .NET WARNING: This is a long post. If you are not interested in Programming language theory then this will likely bore you. ---- So Monads are a big topic. Cause the word is fairly fancy. They were discovered within the tomes of Abstract Algebra by ma... 
Posted August 3, 2008 6:26:50 PM
Metaprogramming and Number Paramerterized Types So this is just me wanting to talk about my experiences relating to the thread title. Feel free to share yours. In my opinion one of the reasons C++ still exists is because it has been extended using templates to useful directions beyond what th... 
Posted July 9, 2008 11:29:28 AM
IamANumber In Haskell you can constrain the types that a polymorphic function can take. For example limiting a type to anything that derives from the number type class: ZipListsAndSum :: (Num a) => [a] -> [a] -> a. I was looking and it seems the... 
Posted July 3, 2008 9:04:00 AM
GPGPU stuff Hey folks. I am currently looking to take advantage of the stream processing nature of the graphics card to do some general number twisting. I am new to all this so I would like to know your personal experiences with the technology. Anecdotes and... 
Posted June 6, 2008 6:26:26 PM
Abel Prize Talk on Symmetries Just wanted to share: The Abel Prize is a recently started prize offered to mathematicians that is a much more complete mapping to the Nobel prize than is the fields medal. Anyways what is really interesting and relevant to computer graphics is... 
Posted March 28, 2008 12:54:48 PM
Powers and Universe Rendering Earlier today I ran across this site and paper (link to paper at bottom of site) on A Transparently Scalable Visualization Architecture for Exploring the Universe. The abstract goes like this: Quote:Modern astronomical instruments produce enormo... 
Posted January 21, 2007 1:14:45 PM
[XNA] Crossplatfromability of XNA I assume that the XNA Framework implementation is strongly depenendent on Microsoft platforms and since it is a managed directx superset it is implied that it is not an open standard. As such, an XNA Framework port to mono would have to inwar... 
Posted September 7, 2006 1:21:14 PM
Noteworthy Resources Suicided. Why? Quote:We're sorry, but access to this resource is denied. Reason: This topic has been retired. Please contact the forums moderator if you want it reopened for discussion alternatively, start a new thread and link to the old one. Thread gener... 
Posted July 16, 2006 9:44:23 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Object recognition - Where do I begin? This sounds like a hard problem that might be better placed with deep learners. What are you going to do next with the classification into curvy or not? A Restricted Boltzman machine or likely even a Deep Belief Net might be what you need. 
Posted December 2, 2010 9:51:23 AM
Framework for a Poker AI Displaying shouldn't be hard. A fast hand evaluator for C# http://www.codeproject.com/KB/game/pokerhandevaldoc.aspx. Also. http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/poker-hand-evaluator-roundup 
Posted November 25, 2010 5:33:35 AM
Game of The Generals AI Quote:Original post by alvaro Quote:Original post by willh I think I get what you're saying, but I'm still caught up on how that would relate to a game of Poker. You _could_ play Poker that way, but probably wouldn't. It's the same kind of i... 
Posted November 5, 2010 12:51:57 PM
Why not learning AI? I agree that ML is not currently a good fit for games but for completely different reasons than Kevin. The only of his reasons I agree with is the part about lack of creative control. This inability is definitely a hindrance but for some game... 
Posted November 5, 2010 12:07:57 PM
Ideas for A.I. and a research paper. only alvaro's answer is useful. Start here for your English assignment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_AI#Possible_explanations_for_the_slow_progress_of_AI_research. Follow up on sources. 
Posted November 1, 2010 4:51:43 PM
genetic programming or evolutionary algo for game AI Quote:Original post by Emergent Quote:Original post by Daerax [...]search for what parameters (e.g. Cost and gamma for a RBF kernel) lead to the best results. This is what I used SA for. See http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumbe... 
Posted August 16, 2010 1:17:33 AM
What do you think of being able to value anything from a central wiki-like system? Awesome. So it sounds like it places the patterns in an n-dimensional real space and tries to either auto generate clusters or find close neighbors cant tell which based on description (maybe neighbors based on wiki requirement). And your a... 
Posted August 5, 2010 2:45:58 PM
What software cant you live without ? Quote:Original post by capn_midnight the firmware for my pacemaker (note: I do not actually have a pacemaker) hehehe brilliant. 
Posted August 3, 2010 1:14:01 PM
Why is C++ so inefficient and slow to work with? Quote:Original post by Antheus Programmers can code anything and solve almost any problem, that's not even the question. Ambigious or tautology. What is the set. Conceived Possible, Imagined or imaginable? Code anything including an oracle?  
Posted August 3, 2010 1:11:22 PM
What nerd news do you trust? Quote:Original post by LessBread Huxley and Orwell were both right and both wrong. That is, somethings they got right and somethings they got wrong. The right-wrong balance between Huxley and Orwell has tilted towards Huxley for some time now, but i... 
Posted July 31, 2010 4:18:16 PM
View All Replies Made By This User