Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Mephs...  
Full Name Steve Oswald
Nickname Mephs 
State/Province, Country Nottinghamshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.monumentalgames.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Junior Software Engineer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1165  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/4/2000 6:38:57 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Making non thread safe code asynchronous Hey all, I'm trying to stop my game code from chugging at the moment by making as much of the time consuming code asynchronous and thread safe, as possible. I have managed to get the vast majority of this accomplished, but I'm struggling a litt... 
Posted May 5, 2009 3:18:21 PM
Micro-stutter on single GPU system Hey all, I've been practically bashing my head against a brick wall trying to debug a problem I'm seeing at work so wondered if anyone might have any input on the problem! Basically, what I'm seeing is that in windowed mode only (NOT... 
Posted April 1, 2009 4:25:43 PM
Looking for character ideas Hey all, I have an interesting idea for a game, but I'm a bit weak on my character designing skills and having trouble coming up with a suitable character to fit the concept. The idea is basically a ball game of sorts... players will be ab... 
Posted January 14, 2009 12:39:53 PM
Emergent gameplay through hybrid procedural system Hey all, Further to Wavinator's thread on 3rd person space shooter control systems, I'd like to talk about one of my own ideas. I'm thinking of an idea along the lines of "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space", or the sequel "Weird Wo... 
Posted July 13, 2008 1:22:17 PM
Micro-Shooter idea Hey all, I'm interested in knowing what people would think about the idea of taking a concept used by some casual games and applying it to a more "hardcore" genre. I'm thinking about making a top down shooter (like the original Grand Theft Auto... 
Posted March 6, 2008 6:03:27 PM
N00b zone discovered! I don't like to do this too often as it is a bit tacky posting links to news articles of this kind of nature, but I came across this article on MSN about a discovery of real life Giant rats I couldn't help but chuckle to myself thinking that... 
Posted December 19, 2007 4:35:52 AM
Preparing for a software engineer role... Hey all, I've been lucky enough to land my first games industry role as a Junior Software Engineer and I'm really excited about it :) I wont go into details of the project I'll be working on, as I am of course under the obligatory NDA and... 
Posted December 19, 2007 7:29:27 AM
Fleshing out a design Hey all, I thought I'd post here today about something that I think is not often asked in the hope of some timely wisdom :) I'm thinking about fleshing out game designs. For a long time I've often thought that the reason I have little to show... 
Posted November 12, 2007 6:47:36 PM
Psycho Computer Survival Kit Hey guys, Well it's been quite a while since I last posted as I've been thinking over all kinds of design ideas. I've come across a bit of inspiration recently that has pointed me in the direction of working on a game that is kind of a cross... 
Posted October 11, 2007 3:22:32 PM
Top down space-shooter Deathmatch Hey all, I'm trying to create a top down space shooter where it is feasible to include a multiplayer mode and though I have some great ideas for the gameplay, I'm stumped on one aspect which is quite crucial, so I thought I'd throw down... 
Posted June 8, 2007 5:28:21 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Making non thread safe code asynchronous The point of having it in it's own thread rather than the main thread is so that execution of the task can be paused and resumed at will, so the job can be completed in bite-sized tasks without a major refactor instead of as one big lump as it c... 
Posted May 5, 2009 4:14:16 PM
Micro-stutter on single GPU system I've not got as far as speaking to them yet, but we did see a similar problem in the past in fullscreen mode as well, which I think was solved by either enabling vsync, or enabling vsync and performing a lockstepquery. We were dealing with nVidi... 
Posted April 2, 2009 2:59:17 AM
Need help designing an action-packed fishing mini-game I found this when looking at the LostGarden site yesterday. Having given it a play for about 40 minutes or so, I think it might be right up your alley in terms of researching ideas. I don't think anyone has posted it yet, but if I'm duplicating a... 
Posted January 22, 2009 4:59:33 AM
Looking for character ideas I like the idea of a "grounded character". I think that probably sums up what I'm after, but unfortunately a juggling waitress doesn't quite fit the bill. Part of the mechanic I'm trying to work with is that the game should play like a 3d platfor... 
Posted January 14, 2009 4:28:24 PM
How To Do Multi-planet Surface Battles? As far as you idea for linking planets, how about explaining it by having some planets simply referred to as Homeworlds or Ruling Planets. Taking control of a Homeworld could then cause linked planets to succumb to your rule. This would introduce a... 
Posted July 24, 2008 4:47:39 AM
Plausible Zone Limits I don't have time to post a comprehensive reply at the moment, but I thought you might be interested in this article from Gamasutra about creating plausible obstacles. I think it should be right up your street in this case :) Hope it helps, ... 
Posted July 19, 2008 10:05:36 AM
Emergent gameplay through hybrid procedural system Yes, I too have heard the game referred to as being similar to Solitaire in a sense. I would agree with the statement. Every game is a bit different, every game takes very little time to play. It's pick up and throw away gameplay, but due to the... 
Posted July 15, 2008 10:15:45 AM
Emergent gameplay through hybrid procedural system That's not so much of an issue. I have an idea for a scanner system which will allow players to ascertain threat levels of nearby encounters which I think will help in those regards. Also I'm not planning to go for character growth so much as chara... 
Posted July 13, 2008 4:17:18 PM
"Pick up and play" controls for a 3rd person starship? I've been working on a space shooter control scheme too. I'm not sure if mine will fit your needs or not, but my idea is going down the lines of a space combat/trading game too, so it may well be of some benefit to you. I am however working... 
Posted July 13, 2008 9:28:54 AM
so my pc just died I would say then, that either it is an onboard graphics problem, if the motherboard has it, or you are misinterpreting the pattern of beeps. The reason I say this is that I googled that error code and the suggested fix is to reseat your graphic... 
Posted April 18, 2008 6:35:41 AM
View All Replies Made By This User