Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know JDX_John...  
Full Name John Dexter
Nickname JDX_John 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Owner, Technical Lead 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 996  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/6/2008 7:20:22 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
StickManShooter: First WIP Tech Demo StickManShooter (SMS) is a multiplayer, browser-based, side-scrolling shooter game in the early stages of development. Essentially a 2D side-scrolling version of QuakeLive, with the key difference that you control a stick-man in a line-art world. Fan... 
Posted December 10, 2010 8:09:13 AM
Most advanced/stable/powerful engine for soft-body, volumetric and fluid simulation I've posted a few times before about projects I work on which involve physical simulation of human tissue (organs & blood vessels). It's not really game-tech but since we target mainstream consumer PCs, real-time engines seem the best option. ... 
Posted November 19, 2010 11:28:53 AM
How GPU power has increased over the last decade? Reading reviews of GPUs, they kind of read the same over the years... since they always compare to other current products, on current games. I'd love to be able to get an idea how much the raw power has increased from say the original Geforce... 
Posted November 20, 2010 6:34:38 AM
Building a bespoke PC input device Sorry for posting in Lounge, but I don't know of any better forum to ask about this kind of thing. Any better suggestions? A project I work on involves simulating a proprietary medical device. It's got boxes that can slide in/out, knobs that... 
Posted November 12, 2010 3:29:11 AM
Platform game collision detection Is there a single 'standard' solution here, from back in the days before everything was polygons? If your level is quite complicated, it doesn't actually seem that simple to get smooth run+jump motion, etc. Since the genre has been around so long... 
Posted October 19, 2010 4:04:17 PM
How early is TOO early to announce a project? As my sig shows, I'm working on a new project. But there's nothing to show, I've registered the domain to reserve it and put up a blog to lay the foundation for SEO. But there's not going to be anything playable or a proper site for a while unle... 
Posted October 28, 2010 6:22:38 AM
Rough guide to acceptable RTT for different game types? Lets look at a FPS, a soccer game, WoW, a driving game, etc... for different game genres are there any semi-agreed maximum RTT beyond which the game starts to suck too much? I'm thinking more client-server rather than P2P. In addition, are there a... 
Posted October 28, 2010 9:35:30 AM
Facebook product pages This is doing my head in a bit... sorry not exactly web-dev, not sure where else to put it though. I created an official page on FB, a "FB Page" as it seems to be called. But it seems I have very little ability to edit it... and it's somehow got... 
Posted October 24, 2010 12:13:13 PM
FlashDevelop for Flex http://www.flashdevelop.org I tried this a couple of years ago and it seemed rubbish for Flex, I couldn't get it to do anything. I wondered if anyone uses it and can report on the current progress/status, specifically regarding Flex/MXML, vis... 
Posted October 6, 2010 2:34:32 AM
Finding out market rates I've been discussing with a client how they are IMO undercharging for their services, which means they have to hire cheaper developers, etc. But I really only have educated guesses what they "should" be charging. I know what a developer or a con... 
Posted October 7, 2010 8:48:15 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Robokidsgaming So this is what happens with all those RentaCoder "make me a FaceBook clone for $200" projects... 
Posted January 6, 2011 10:01:14 AM
Battlegeist a new 3d multiplayer flash game (alpha) Do you have any kind of techy blog, or information on the techy side at all anywhere? I'm also working on a Flash project and I'm interested how the 3D is done. 
Posted January 6, 2011 7:12:22 AM
Ideal Budget? Quote:Original post by swiftcoder Quote:Original post by JDX_John How long will it take to make? Are we talking one guy working full-time for a month?This is an RPG, being built on an FPS engine. Being an RPG automatically pushes you into... 
Posted December 29, 2010 4:53:30 PM
Ideal Budget? How long will it take to make? Are we talking one guy working full-time for a month? That's going to be 75-90% of the total costs, I imagine. Looking at programmer salaries isn't to relevant because you won't be employing someone. You can get... 
Posted December 29, 2010 6:37:49 AM
other 'models' for a WikiLeaks to release content through Quote:Original post by LessBread Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care Quote:Original post by LessBread Until then, get used to the fact that the "free world" is no longer free. Paypal has every right to stop. Anyone that's ever had to deal w... 
Posted December 5, 2010 10:25:44 AM
How often should I expect to use C? Don't put C on your resume. Don't apply for jobs that mention using C. Problem solved. 
Posted December 5, 2010 10:19:45 AM
Getting down to buisness I think there's two sides to this: a)What do you need before people will BUY your software b)What do you have to do with the payments As for a), with anything people buy as individuals all you need is a way to accept payments and let them down... 
Posted December 2, 2010 12:03:49 PM
Video games are super cheap! Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto If you look at how much work goes into a video game and the fact that they only sell for about $50 or less I think that's amazingly cheap compared to software packages like 3DS Max, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, an... 
Posted November 29, 2010 4:05:54 PM
Triangle Rasterization It's been about a decade since I did any software rasterization, but your triangle algorithm looks a little overcomplicated, unless I miss some feature. Also are you really iterating every pixel in the rectangle bounding the triangle, rather than wor... 
Posted November 20, 2010 11:56:48 AM
How GPU power has increased over the last decade? I did find this: nVidia performance table but it doesn't go back that far. Are those figures reasonable - that current best cards are 30-75X more powerful than the 8-series? 
Posted November 20, 2010 10:46:21 AM
View All Replies Made By This User