Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Rubicon...  
Full Name Paul Johnson
Nickname Rubicon 
State/Province, Country Isle of Wight   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Newport, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.rubicondev.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Managing Director / Chief Bottlewasher 
Job Description Trying to keep the broom from falling out when I fart 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1126  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/29/2006 6:46:31 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Triangulation to a shrink wrap? Please see the pic below that is clearly a level from my in-development game. Apologies this is a bit long, but I want to make sure you understand the problem space. That mesh is generated purely in code from a hexagonal 2D tile editor. To make... 
Posted September 26, 2010 8:11:12 AM
Good Explosions? I've spent a day finalising my particle effect editor and am pretty please with it. It can do a lot of things with more fine touches planned. In fact, it can do everything apart from look good! Talking mainly about flaming explosions and debris... 
Posted August 14, 2010 8:19:34 PM
Book Recommendation ? Is there a good book for AI implementation that isn't centered around FPS or RTS games? I'm looking for something that covers the more basic "old-fashioned" problems like how to actually write a chess/checkers AI or GO or basically any board game.... 
Posted July 8, 2010 9:28:02 AM
Turn-based RTS AI Hi chaps. Can I beg a little help here? I'm not a newb to general AI programming stuff, but I just can't my head around where to start with putting a decent AI together for my current project. It's a turn-based strategy game using a hex board and... 
Posted July 2, 2010 4:47:01 PM
Tracing a contour from hex data? Running into a bit of a problem here, hoping someone can give me a lead. I'm making a 3D level editor and I need to produce some smooth closed contour lines passing through the centres of the tiles that are on edges of distinct land masses. ... 
Posted May 19, 2010 6:19:30 PM
Shadowmap Peter Pan Calculation? I've abandoned my gradient shadows (largely from the ShaderX5 book) on account of ime it doesn't really solve anything - I get no acne but I have other issues that, at least in the sphere of stuff I do, are just as bad and therefore those many g... 
Posted April 6, 2010 4:19:21 PM
Catmull Rom Tension? Any ideas how I can implement some sort of "Tension" parameter in my evaluator? I'm getting positions via subdivision. My "GetPoint" routine first works out what segment I'm interested in and how long it is and gets a factor of 0-1 along that part... 
Posted January 9, 2010 8:04:00 AM
3D position from depth FOV problem I pulled this out of a necroed thread on the topic: // pnt is still in eye-space float2 ss = ( newPoint.xy / newPoint.z ) * float2( 0.75, 1.0 ); float2 tx = ss * 0.5 + 0.5; float depth = tex2D( depthMap, tx ); I'm doing exactly... 
Posted December 16, 2009 10:00:00 PM
Setting Wrap and Filter modes ? Got another n00b question here please. When loading my textures, I set these 4 properties as I do the bind: glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT); glTexParam... 
Posted August 30, 2009 8:02:18 AM
Rendering Fancy Vertex Formats? Hi guys. I've just started porting my DX engine to OGL (v2.0) and I have a core question I can't seem to work out. I'm using shaders to do everything, (including simple stuff like drawing rectangles for reasons that aren't gonna change) So I... 
Posted August 28, 2009 4:27:38 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Is "Real-Time Rendering, A.-Moller et. al." a good reference? It's 50 quid on amazon here, which I guess does sound about right. Sorry to derail, I sometimes forget how far apart our currency numbers are. I don't remember paying 50 squids for it though. Something vaguely useful: I agree it's a good book... 
Posted January 6, 2011 6:54:01 PM
Is "Real-Time Rendering, A.-Moller et. al." a good reference? 80 bucks?!? Does it come with a "free" video card? :) 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:55:10 PM
How to correctly approximate a sphere ( collisson sphere ) to an object, say cube? Add all the points together, divide that by the number of points? 
Posted January 6, 2011 3:51:42 AM
Fixed angle lookup Sounds like you're optimising in the wrong place to me. What *exactly* are you doing? Surely nobody's gonna noticed if you only look at the closest 100? 
Posted January 5, 2011 6:43:08 PM
Quick and painless FSM techniques in c++? @swift, I think I covered that. I wouldn't use an FSM solely for this task either, but I'd typically move on from there to control the main gameflow logic with it also. There's also no reversal from me, I'm always advocating keeping it simple... 
Posted January 5, 2011 3:58:03 AM
moving each vertex along its normal Quote:Original post by karwosts Quote:Original post by Rubicon I'm not overly familiar with GLSL, but shouldn't the order of multiplies be v*view*proj ? No, he is correct. If you're coming from DirectX it's the opposite way, due to hlsl being ba... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:28:08 PM
Slow Performance in Direct3D9 [solved] It might well be your locking method letting you down. DX is very picky about that stuff, but it flies when you get it right. About how many batches are you drawing per frame? 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:24:30 PM
Quick and painless FSM techniques in c++? Quote:Original post by RutherfordJones This is the situation I'm in. As a programmer I can easily choose the proper paradigm to fit the bill for runtime and development time efficiency. However, I find myself needing to lean more towards RAD techn... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:12:33 PM
moving each vertex along its normal I'm not overly familiar with GLSL, but shouldn't the order of multiplies be v*view*proj ? 
Posted January 4, 2011 1:36:16 PM
WTF is a renderer It's just a general nebulous term that only takes on more specificity when you are talking about a definite article. "The renderer in this..." One guy could be refering to the specific bit of code that calls drawprimitive, whilst anothe... 
Posted January 4, 2011 4:00:29 AM
View All Replies Made By This User