Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Dave...  
Full Name David Lovegrove
Nickname Dave 
State/Province, Country Greater London   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer 
Job Description Game logic. 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1755  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/22/2004 6:27:54 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Basic FPS Physics Part 2 So, more physics stuff for FPS games! If i want to intersect the walls and floor with the player how do i do it? Most of this i believe i have worked out. I don't use a physics volume at the moment, i cast 5 rays, forward, backward, left, right an... 
Posted July 12, 2010 8:10:45 AM
SlimDX: Device.VertexDeclaration Evening, My C# app is running out of memory and after hunting it down i discovered that it was where i was doing the following: SlimDX.Direct3D9.VertexDeclaration Declaration = new SlimDX.Direct3D9.VertexDeclaration(Render.Device, Elements);... 
Posted July 3, 2010 4:12:16 PM
Basic FPS Physics I've been mulling over this for a while now and i cant seem to get my head around it. Confusion has arisen over how you elegantly combine physics against the world and the controlling of the FPS player. I have a physics object of which the physics ma... 
Posted June 25, 2010 6:25:30 AM
ID3DXMesh/BaseMesh Question Racking my brains over this one, but there is probably a simple answer. When loading a .x file with D3DXLoadMeshFromX is there any way of determining (from that call of from the resulting mesh) whether the data is for a triangle strip or triangl... 
Posted June 22, 2010 5:06:20 PM
Help Documentation For C# Applications Can anyone provide opinion on good free help file building toolsets? I would like to do something similar (though not as vast) as the visual studio documentation. Thanks, 
Posted May 25, 2010 3:40:18 PM
C# - XmlSerializer and Type.FullName If i am serializing out an arbitrary collection of objects using XmlSerializer, how do i create an object of the serialized type to deserialize in to? A simple example being that XmlSerializer outputs the short name ("String" not "System.String") to... 
Posted April 17, 2010 5:33:42 AM
Scripting A C# Object This sounds like a bit of a stretch, but what i would like to do is have a text file that scripts the properties of an entity: Player: Float:Health Float:Ammo Such that the object can be edited in a PropertyGrid. Can anyone suggest an... 
Posted April 10, 2010 8:55:12 AM
Force Aero Basic For Individual C# Forms The reason i want to do this is because i have a series of tools windows in my main application and i think that the FixedToolWindow form border style is too bulky, and it has a drop shadow which i don't want. So is there any way i can force an... 
Posted April 4, 2010 8:38:14 AM
MY HEART LOVE! PM i've just received, anyone else get this? Hello, I visited your profile at (Gamedev.net) and I find out that you'er the type my heart love, I believe we suit for real love, let walk that presious thing out for heart desire, I hope and beli... 
Posted January 31, 2010 9:48:03 AM
Screen Resolution and Field Of View I've started googling and so far havn't turned up anything solid. I'm interested to find out what kind of solutions people have come up with for altering the camera field of view based on screen resolution and aspect ratio? If anyone has any... 
Posted January 22, 2010 4:51:58 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Can hardware of today handle processes like realistic characters, background Given that the games you are comparing too are still basically cutting edge, you wont be able to achieve an awful lot better that, otherwise they would have already done it. 
Posted January 6, 2011 9:27:57 AM
Visual Studio 2008 problem It's impossible to tell without you pasting any code. Can we see all of the relevent portions in your simplest case please? 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:35:37 PM
FPS Game Server What he is saying is that unless each client is animating the facing direction of each player you're probably only interested in transmitting the data about where a shot has gone. This is needed to determine when someone gets hit. Essentially... 
Posted January 4, 2011 10:43:16 AM
How are your eyes? Quote:Original post by benryves I spend the most time in front of a monitor out of my immediate family, yet am the only one who doesn't wear glasses. Read into that what you will! [smile] Same. 
Posted January 3, 2011 5:15:50 AM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Quote:Original post by Rubicon Speaking personally, I type it in and then run it. Worked for me for the last 25 years and I think it will continue to work for the next 25. Quote:Original post by return0 For all of you advocating globals or singl... 
Posted January 1, 2011 8:08:50 AM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Quote:Original post by return0 For all of you advocating globals or singletons, how the hell do you test your code to verify it actually works? How do you write isolated unit tests to check your design makes sense before committing to writing the wh... 
Posted January 1, 2011 8:07:13 AM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? How is a global in your way? All my main managers in my project, for example, engine, renderer, ui, physics etc, are all externed global pointers. It's suitably trivial. Im not saying you in particular dave (or at all), but C++ programmers in g... 
Posted December 31, 2010 6:34:19 AM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Essentially i prefer the easiest solution. If you're refering to the global function then thats alright yeah. I'd rather have a global than pass something to everything through constructors. 
Posted December 30, 2010 2:03:45 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Sure he is here to learn. You have taught loads and I am offering an alternative perspective. Having been through this entire learning curve myself I am offering the opinion that in fact avoiding some of C++ idioms is a good thing. Worrying about sin... 
Posted December 30, 2010 1:16:23 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? I think if a thread gets this long about whether to make a logger global or not then it's being severely over thought and the easiest way to solve the problem should be adopted. Make it a global pointer to your logger class and be done with it. 
Posted December 30, 2010 9:50:35 AM
View All Replies Made By This User