Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know jollyjeffers...  Moderator
Full Name Jack Hoxley
Nickname jollyjeffers 
State/Province, Country Greater London   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Developer 
Job Description C#/KDB developer working on high performance financial database solutions 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1941  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/16/2000 5:27:06 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/jhoxley/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
An Example of Shadow Rendering in Direct3D 9
An Overview of Microsoft's Direct3D 10 API
Critical Path Analysis and Scheduling for Game Development
DirectX Graphics for Visual Basic Part 1
DirectX Graphics for Visual Basic Part 2
DirectX Graphics for Visual Basic Part 3
Using XML Technologies For Enhancing Log Files
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
High Dynamic Range Rendering These images are from my recently released Direct3D9 High Dynamic Range Demo. High Dynamic Range rendering allows computer graphics to express a much larger range of colours than the typical 8bit 1:256 ratio. The real world, and hence what we see... 
Posted September 15, 2005 11:23:58 AM
FYI - Official DirectX blog has appeared Afternoon all, Just doing my rounds of lunchtime RSS reading and spotted on Tom Olsen's Direct2D blog that they've released a new DirectX MSDN blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/DirectX/. Only one post so far, but its worth reading if you want so... 
Posted April 22, 2009 7:49:13 AM
D3D11 HW Tessellation for Terrain Rendering Afternoon all, Any of you who follow my journal (D3D11 Tessellation Pipeline, SO for debugging, Summit write-up) will probably be aware that I've been playing around with the Direct3D 11 tessellation features (specifically the Domain and Hull Shad... 
Posted April 10, 2009 10:20:59 AM
Barycentric coordinates and triangles (D3D11) Afternoon all, I've been playing around with the new D3D11 tesselation features (Hull and Domain shaders - journal rambling here and here). Unfortunately the details on these features are a little limited, even if you're lucky enough to ha... 
Posted February 21, 2009 7:54:26 AM
Diagram of Windows Graphics in 2009 Afternoon all, Thought I'd share this diagram I drew with you all... I've written about it in my developer journal a couple of times now, and I was planning on including the above (broken down accordingly) into a whitepaper on the... 
Posted January 31, 2009 12:21:51 PM
GAMEFEST 2008 PRESENTATIONS Evening everyone, I just saw word from Chuck Walbourn over at Microsoft that the US Gamefest 2008 presentations have been made available. Search for "gamefest 2008" on download.microsoft.com. They're still setting up the proper landing pag... 
Posted August 31, 2008 4:58:34 PM
Mini-article on ID3DX10ThreadPump in my journal Ok, shameless plug for my own journal here so apologies in advance for that! (ab)using the ID3DX10ThreadPump Given that there seem to be a bunch of threads coming through covering design details of D3D10 applications I figured the above may wel... 
Posted August 19, 2008 7:18:56 PM
XNA GameFest London 2008 write-up XNA GameFest London 2008 write-upPosted by: Jack Hoxley at August 6, 2008 10:58:04 PMAs a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional I got a complementary ticket to Microsoft’s XNA GameFest London event today. For the benefit of the wider community I... 
Posted August 6, 2008 5:58:04 PM
Power requirements and system stability Afternoon all, Anyone who follows my developer journal might be aware that I had some PSU problems when I upgraded to a GeForce 8800 a while back. Seems that 420w of generic PSU wasn't quite enough grunt to stop the 8800 toppling over and I got an... 
Posted April 24, 2007 10:49:59 AM
*---- NOTES REGARDING FORUM NAME CHANGE ----* Morning all, As the more observant amongst you will probably have noticed, forum #10 is no longer just the "DirectX" forum and is now the "DirectX and XNA" forum. Quote:From the main forum listing page: DirectX and XNA Questions and discussio... 
Posted May 20, 2008 6:28:17 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Is GetTransform() heavy? Generally modifying the state under D3D9 is expensive, but I've not personally experience nor read many accounts of the GetTransform() statement being particularly slow. You have the key advantage here that IF it turned out to be a bottleneck it i... 
Posted July 3, 2009 5:28:20 AM
We have lost one of our own! :( My initial thoughts on seeing this thread's subject line were around a fatality of sorts [lol] Congrats Promit - a much deserved pat on the back! Quote:Now you have to buy the first round of drinks at the next MVP SummitYou forgot to... 
Posted July 2, 2009 8:05:17 AM
The future of DirectX 10 Quote:Original post by XVincentX are you making all your code D3D11 using reference rasterizer?Yup, RefRast FTW! [cool] Quote:Original post by XVincentX Have you got a super CPU??Quad core 3.1ghz isn't too shabby... until the system disk fails... 
Posted June 16, 2009 12:47:18 PM
need game source code windows mobile with Directx and C# Hello and welcome to GameDev.Net [smile] Can you provide more information on what you're looking for? Windows Mobile examples always seemed fairly thin on the ground to me and I don't know of any specific WinMobile+DirectX+Game code samp... 
Posted June 16, 2009 8:04:52 AM
The future of DirectX 10 Quote:with Windows 7 and DirectX 11 on the horizon, is DirectX 10 really worth spending time with?No, move on. If you're due to release your application before Win7 (Late October '09) then I'd recommend using 10.1 over 10.0 but in all ot... 
Posted June 16, 2009 8:01:38 AM
Model Normal - FVB I've not dealt with milkshape files directly, but I have seen a few file formats similar to what you describe. Typically the answer is to use "smoothing groups" to combine the normals. If you're using indexed meshes it is usually quite easy to get... 
Posted June 15, 2009 1:02:57 PM
DirectX SDK x Win2000 ? If memory serves, the February 2007 SDK was the last one that allowed install on Win2K although it wasn't supported. April '07 was the first one where the installer actually wouldn't continue if it detected Win2K. It's all the SDK t... 
Posted June 12, 2009 7:22:50 AM
Problem working with DirectX 3DS Sadly the story around .X files is not a happy one - you're bound to find many similar stories to yours on the internet. There is very little good quality tooling for .X in either direction (convert to or from). Pandasoft or kW X-port ar... 
Posted June 8, 2009 1:09:29 PM
how to create ID3DXMesh from one vertex buffer and index buffer? Use D3DXCreateMesh() to create an instance of an ID3DXMesh with the correct amount of space allocated for IB's and VB's. You can then use LockVertexBuffer() and LockIndexBuffer() to put your data in. I don't think it'll work to create your own VB/... 
Posted June 8, 2009 12:54:04 PM
Convert IDirect3DTexture9 to GDI HBITMAPs I only recommend you try doing this if you enjoy punishing yourself. GDI=pain. [wink] This page has a reasonably good overview of the steps involved. It's most efficient if you create a surface and use SetDIBits() but it is pretty fiddly gett... 
Posted June 5, 2009 3:36:40 PM
View All Replies Made By This User