Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know RipTorn...  
Full Name Graham Aldridge
Nickname RipTorn 
State/Province, Country    New Zealand
GD Gathering City Christchurch, , New Zealand
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.hungryspoon.com/ 
ICQ ID 71302417 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1414  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/30/2001 6:18:47 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Xen Graphics API for XNA released (Version 1.8 - Including new HDR lighting sample) Hello, my name is Graham Aldridge. It's been nearly 4 years since I last posted on GameDev.net, so I thought I'd share what I've been up to: www.codeplex.com/xen Xen is my XNA based API. With an emphasis on high performance 3D, Xen is... 
Posted April 11, 2010 6:45:11 AM
Forum link bug.. (small, insignificant, deadly...) Ok it's not deadly. However it was confusing. Anyway. Down the bottom of every post there is a direct link button. Unfortunately if you try and use one of these in a post, it breaks quite spectacularly. eg: http://www.gamedev.net/comm... 
Posted February 24, 2007 8:15:45 PM
Easy ClickOnce wrapper for firefox/opera compatibility. Hey. Thougth I'd share. Here is a little package that I whipped up. It will let you create firefox/opera compatible ClickOnce .exe files. So no more problems requiring internet explorer to be the default browser on the sysetm for the .applica... 
Posted July 19, 2006 10:33:24 PM
[ignore me] Server side RSA (or similar) data signing Hello, I hope someone can help me out here. The app I'm currently working on requires some form of signed license keys for users. Ie, asymetric encryption. So I was thinking RSA. The problem is my app is .net based, and the server is ... 
Posted May 29, 2006 11:15:40 PM
Loading an assembly from raw byte's (little trick I found) Just thought i'd post this. If anyone ever ends up doing this (loading an assembly from memory), there is a trick involved. Assembly.Load(byte[]) has a strange quirk in that it will load the assembly with the evidence of the calling assembly (i... 
Posted May 28, 2006 7:42:58 PM
A collection of my older project screen shots I've decided to post a collection of images from my now dead project, aka the Project-X engine. I've been meaning to do this for a while. I'm hoping the featured image caught your eye :-) The featured image was a test shader for the eye of a... 
Posted December 27, 2005 5:03:39 PM
ourmedia.com Anyone here know about, or used ourmedia.com?... From what I gather it's done by the archive.org people. Quote: We provide free storage and free bandwidth for your videos, audio files, photos, text or software. Forever. No catches. Sounds a... 
Posted September 8, 2005 9:33:51 PM
Free Opera 8 Browser Registration (24 hour promotion at download.com) download.com are running a promotion to celbrate the 10th year of the Opera Internet browser. This is running for 24 hours (12am august 30 -7 GMT to 12am aug 31 GMT) email registerme@opera.com during that time to get a free registration code for Oper... 
Posted August 30, 2005 5:26:43 AM
Two cool things I found in Opera browser. Maybe it's had these for ages, but I only recently stumbled apon them, and they are very cool. Not sure if firefox can do this... if you are viewing pages on a site, do the 'forward' mouse guesture, and opera will work out what page to g... 
Posted August 16, 2005 1:24:15 AM
Well, I'm off to the states... Sitting here, last night in new zealand for me. Tomorrow night I'll be a few thousand metres about the ocean heading off for that big lump of rock to the north-east. [smile] Yeah ok I didn't mean to put it like that :) but anyway. I'm off tomorrow... 
Posted July 30, 2005 10:10:23 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Any free SMS Web Services? Be wary of any 'free' sms service. Unless they are directly tied to a carrier these companies have to make money somehow - there is no charity - so do not be surprised if you or the people you text start to receive unwanted attention. For example... 
Posted April 23, 2008 8:27:22 AM
C# Multi-threading, Quad Core, Thread Affinity? My understanding is that some extra stuff happens under the hood for threads that run .net code (I guess due to requiring communication with the GC and it's thread, etc). So, the moment you have .net code run on your process thread, you lose the... 
Posted January 1, 2008 5:45:06 AM
code security? I used to be concerned that .net didn't 'protect' my code. Then again C++ doesn't either. Frankly, I now think it's an utterly pointless endeavour. An application by it's nature must be decoded (to run!) so there is no sense in trying to do this. ... 
Posted December 31, 2007 8:23:44 AM
Storing reference of a value type class boxed<T> where T : struct { public T value; public boxed(T v) { value = t; } } The nature of value types is that they are always temporary in nature when you actually do things with them. Auto boxing won't help either,... 
Posted December 31, 2007 8:16:05 AM
Force windows xp to generate thumbs.db in a specified folder Not a direct answer, but might help with your performance issues: Apparently most digital cameras will embed a thumbnail in the image tags: http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/NET/Code/Libraries/Graphics/Reading_EXIF_Tags_from_JPG_Files/article.asp 
Posted May 16, 2007 6:25:00 AM
Performance implications of type comparisons afaik typeof() and GetType() are both extremely fast, and always return the same object. But in any event you really shouldn't care. If you find your application slowing down, profile it! you will then find it's something totally unexpected. 
Posted April 26, 2007 5:32:40 AM
byte [] to an IntPtr Quote:Original post by Fiddler For large arrays you should not copy elements around. In this case, if you do not want to resort to unsafe code, use the following snippet: GCHandle h0 = GCHandle.Alloc(array, GCHandleType.Pinned); ... 
Posted April 11, 2007 8:08:09 AM
trying out tao Quote: what is involved in deployment, to make a tao C# app run on another computer what is required aside from .net framework / mono, do i just make sure to include the appropriate dll's or is there a automatic way to ensure dependences are de... 
Posted April 8, 2007 9:43:02 AM
byte [] to an IntPtr Assuming you are using C#, I believe the best way is as follows, using the System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal class: byte[] data = ...; IntPtr ptr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(data.Length); try { Marshal.Copy(data,0,ptr,data.Length); ... 
Posted April 8, 2007 9:27:47 AM
sizeof(CustomVertex.TransformTextured) question Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.TransformedTextured.StrideSize DO NOT USE UNSAFE CODE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED IT. And if you think you need it, you almost certainly don't. [wink][wink][wink][wink][wink] 
Posted April 6, 2007 4:07:00 AM
View All Replies Made By This User