Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know wolf...  XNA/DirectX MVP
Full Name Wolfgang Engel
Nickname wolf 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Carlsbad, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.wolfgang-engel.info 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1476  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/8/2000 2:51:21 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Advanced Shader Programming: Diffuse & Specular Lighting with Pixel Shaders
Introduction to Shader Programming Part 1: Fundamentals of Vertex Shaders
Introduction to Shader Programming Part 2: Programming Vertex Shaders
Introduction to Shader Programming Part 3: Fundamentals of Pixel Shaders
Introduction to Shader Programming Part 4: Programming Pixel Shaders
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
GPU Pro 3: Call for Authors GPU Pro 3: Call for AuthorsPosted by: Wolfgang Engel at December 23, 2010 8:52:52 AMAfter the success of the first seven entries to the ShaderX book series, of GPU Pro (gpupro.blogspot.com) and the soon to be released GPU Pro 2 (gpupro2.blogspot.com)... 
Posted December 23, 2010 11:52:52 AM
GPU Pro 2: Call for Authors GPU Pro 2: Call for AuthorsPosted by: Wolfgang Engel at May 12, 2010 7:38:24 AMAfter the tremendous success of the first seven entries to the ShaderX book series, and the upcoming success of the GPU Pro book (gpupro.blogspot.com), we are looking for... 
Posted May 12, 2010 10:38:24 AM
GPU Pro 2: Call for Authors GPU Pro 2: Call for AuthorsPosted by: Wolfgang Engel at April 26, 2010 11:00:43 AMAfter the tremendous success of the first seven entries to the ShaderX book series, and the upcoming success of the GPU Pro book (http://gpupro.blogspot.com/), we are l... 
Posted April 26, 2010 11:00:43 AM
GPU Pro 2: Call for Authors GPU Pro 2: Call for AuthorsPosted by: Wolfgang Engel at February 20, 2010 3:18:24 PMAfter the tremendous success of the first seven entries to the ShaderX book series, and the upcoming success of the GPU Pro book (http://gpupro.blogspot.com/), we are... 
Posted February 20, 2010 3:18:24 PM
Mapping Depth Values to the near / far range Hi, I have a projection matrix that is w, 0, 0, 0, 0, h, 0, 0, 0, 0, (f + n) / (f - n), -(2 * f* n) / (f - n), 0, 0, 1, 0); This matrix is a OpenGL projection matrix. I would like to map the values that I can read from the depth buffer int... 
Posted November 21, 2009 2:00:39 AM
Call for Authors: ShaderX8 Call for Authors: ShaderX8Posted by: Wolfgang Engel at May 2, 2009 12:50:28 PMAfter the tremendous success of the first seven entries to the ShaderX book series, we are looking for authors for ShaderX8. The upcoming book will cover advanced render... 
Posted May 2, 2009 12:50:28 PM
Cover circle with quads Hi, I would like to approximate a circle with quads. The quads should overlap the circle in a way that there is no area of the circle uncovered. What I want to find is the best possible way to calculate the quad size and number of quads. Being abl... 
Posted April 23, 2009 4:06:19 PM
Attenuation / To figure out the Bounding volume of Point lights / Spot lights Hi, I was thinking about this now for a while. Using the classical attenuation function can make the determination of the size of a bounding volume quite complicated. This was covered in several threads in this forum so far. 1 / (kc + kl * distan... 
Posted October 5, 2008 3:11:20 PM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD I am sure that this graphics chipset has some problems to run certain games fast enough, but what I would like to hear is if all DX10 features are really supported. I am not interested in speed just feature support. I don't care if my simple example... 
Posted September 9, 2008 3:52:42 PM
Reconstructing Position from Depth Data Hi, I am on my quest to figure out the fastest way to reconstruct a position value from depth data. Here is what I know: 1. If you stay in view space and you can afford a dedicated buffer for a separate depth value you can do the following (... 
Posted August 28, 2008 7:47:41 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing That's quite impressive. I skipped through your thesis. You explain things very well. 
Posted December 19, 2010 12:22:23 PM
Next-next generation voxel data? Quote:However, we still have largely fixed bandwidth from drive to memory, and from memory to cache. And this is the limiting factor: given a terabyte of voxel data, it is infeasible to move enough data across the bus quickly enough to render it. Wel... 
Posted November 20, 2010 7:44:14 PM
Next-next generation voxel data? Quote:you know, when driving too long into one direction, you forget about all the others easily and it's hard to change it again ;) I can see your challenges here. This stuff is already pretty old, I want to believe most of us moved or passed a... 
Posted November 20, 2010 7:19:21 PM
Next-next generation voxel data? How can a technique that relies on so much memory access considered next-next-gen while computational power increases much faster than memory access and procedural generation of geometry is already here ... I don't get that :-) 
Posted November 20, 2010 2:12:31 PM
Ambient Occlusion Volumes Quote:Crytek has never published their exact algorithm The guy who wrote it described it in ShaderX6. 
Posted December 6, 2009 8:28:19 PM
Ambient Occlusion Volumes very cool ... followed up with an e-mail. 
Posted December 5, 2009 10:09:02 PM
Exponential Shadow Maps Hey Marco, Quote:The first one involves rendering exponential depth you mean you render out a exponential depth value into the shadow map. How would you do this? The following source looks like the linear approach you describe. It writes li... 
Posted November 25, 2009 12:59:36 AM
Skybox gradient distortion. I spent a few fine hours debugging banding to find out that the TV was introducing the banding in the first place; try another TV or monitor e.g. notebooks might show you this kind of banding ... sometimes you have to give up :-) 
Posted October 23, 2009 11:09:09 AM
ShaderX7 Practical CSM I read the chapter but it doesn't sound right to me either. I contact Fan ... maybe he can contribute to this thread. 
Posted October 23, 2009 11:06:05 AM
Global Illumination Honors project! Hey Krokhin, I tried your demo but it is not running for me. Crashes on the start-up screen. Can you explain what you did in there?  
Posted October 11, 2009 12:21:12 PM
View All Replies Made By This User