Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Zahlman...  Moderator - Game Programming
Full Name Karl Knechtel
Nickname Zahlman 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1992  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/9/2004 3:32:56 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Rick Sanchez of CNN: Yes, we did cover it Here we see Rick Sanchez protesting a claim by FOX that other networks "missed the story" on the 9/12 rallies. He responds to show this is an outright lie (using Joe Wilson's wording at the end of the clip). A part of me, though, can't help but... 
Posted September 19, 2009 12:12:19 PM
Fire chief who was shot by cops in a courtroom will be charged. Cops will not. Remember this story from a week and a bit ago? Things just got worse. Quote:From the article One of the officers shot Payne in the back. West Memphis City Prosecutor Lindsey Fairley says none of the police officers will be charged. Fairley... 
Posted September 14, 2009 3:53:13 PM
Happy pride everyone! And now the bad news. While I was celebrating with god knows how many people in the streets of Toronto, something like this happens. Ugh. 
Posted June 29, 2009 2:01:29 AM
CSS *can* do this, right? I have a test layout as follows: <body> <table style='position: fixed; left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 100%; height: 20px; border-collapse: collapse; table-layout: fixed'> <td style='display:table-cell; width: 100px; background-c... 
Posted July 31, 2009 12:59:28 AM
This is not a real-time chat. You don't need to bump your posts unless it's been a couple of days or so. As a rule of thumb, wait until your post has fallen off the first page to bump. GDNet users live all around the world. It's very possible that at the time you ask your ques... 
Posted June 24, 2009 3:08:08 PM
Hey guys, source tags are your friends. ***READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*** When posting large snippets of code, error dumps etc. (over about 10 lines or so, or which have excessively long lines), please use [source][/source] tags, not [code][/code] tags. This avoids taking up huge amounts of vertical space with your post, a... 
Posted May 14, 2009 11:46:59 PM
Inner classes - outer class method is hidden? Consider the following: class Outer { public void doSomething(int x) { System.out.println(x); } class Inner { public void doSomething() { // Outer.doSomething(42); <-- doesn't work; doSomething() is not static // do... 
Posted May 1, 2009 12:45:38 PM
Obama administration "open for questions" Here. Seems like a lot of people support the legalization of marijuana to stimulate the economy (see under "Financial Stability"; there's no direct link for each section). Do you think this reflects reality? Is there some organized effort here, or... 
Posted March 25, 2009 12:50:51 AM
WTF how did this get bumped? Why am I seeing this on the first Lounge page? I'd heard of stealth bumps involving posting and then deleting, but isn't the "thread retirement" code supposed to prevent the post in the first place? 
Posted February 18, 2009 6:29:54 PM
Tay Zonday sold out "Cherry Chocolate Rain" video promoting a new Dr. Pepper flavour. Why is there no outrage, or even discussion, among the lounge lizards yet? :s 
Posted December 3, 2007 12:43:03 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Are my goals realistic? Quote:Original post by Metallon Quote:Original post by leiavoia C++ is NOT the best. C++ is also like chewing rocks. Some people like rocks. I don't. I would recommend anything else for a 100% beginner.! You would recommend even Assembly before C+... 
Posted January 6, 2011 5:22:30 PM
Red-Black Tree Deletion Uh, it says right there: Quote:Therefore, for the remainder of this discussion we address the deletion of a node with at most one non-leaf child. We use the label M to denote the node to be deleted; C will denote a selected child of M, which... 
Posted January 6, 2011 4:52:29 PM
Using bytes array as it was a file Um... std::stringstream? Guys? Yeah? It lives in <sstream>. 
Posted December 29, 2010 9:59:33 PM
Using fread to Read a Text File Moving to For Beginners. You are doing a lot of strange and probably wrong things here, and I can't begin to imagine how you can simultaneously (a) require maximum performance reading from a file and (b) not be able to fix it yourself and have a c... 
Posted December 29, 2010 9:56:14 PM
WinMain violates RAII (when code crashes) Quote:Original post by Bow_vernon Well do you know any trick to avoid memory leaks on program crash? ... Don't crash the program? If it crashes, it crashes, and all bets are off about cleanup. Full stop. That's what it means for a program to... 
Posted December 29, 2010 9:45:42 PM
Deleting Pointers??? Moving to For Beginners. 
Posted December 29, 2010 9:09:30 PM
2D Jumping float gravity = -0.9; // You may have to adjust this value depending on what // units you are using. Play around with it. // Vector2 acceleration = new Vector2(0, 5); // get rid of this // You should determine how much time has elapsed first a... 
Posted December 29, 2010 8:57:04 PM
copy constructor vs overloaded opeator=()? The assignment operator assigns. That is, it takes two already existing objects, and causes one to be equal to the other. The copy constructor constructs a copy. That is, it takes one already existing object, and causes the existence of a n... 
Posted December 29, 2010 8:44:20 PM
To use a namespace or not? That is the question. Namespaces tell the compiler what 'Ax' means. Otherwise it has no idea, and you get none of the benefits of being able to manipulate the namespace as a namespace. 
Posted December 22, 2010 5:28:01 AM
gcc 4.5 unicode string literals Quote:Original post by the_edd Note, I'm still talking about OS X here. The situation is different on Windows and quite possibly different in other UNIX-like environments, also. In fact, I suspect that some environments can't display Unicode at... 
Posted December 20, 2010 7:43:55 AM
View All Replies Made By This User