Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Aardvajk...  GDNet+
Full Name Paul Cook
Nickname Aardvajk 
State/Province, Country Suffolk   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.aardvajk.co.uk 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Inbound Sales 
Job Description Selling central heating oil in a call centre 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1844  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/3/2006 5:09:29 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/easilyconfused/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Resolution Independence in 2D Direct3D Games – An Alternative Approach
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Minimal redist for DX9.0c I've checked all the loaded modules in the output window of VS when I run my game and the only DLL that is loaded that there is a cab file for in the redist is d3dx9_36.dll. Assuming that the user has some kind of DirectX 9 install, does anyo... 
Posted October 6, 2010 2:57:54 AM
Orc - a 2D shoot-em-up Orc is a 2D space shooter written in C++. It uses Direct3D for the graphics and DirectSound for the audio. It is the first project I've written using Direct3D rather than DirectDraw so alphablending features heavily. It currently features two k... 
Posted October 26, 2006 5:40:39 PM
Site currently a bit broken in Chrome Just to let you know that for some reason the site is a bit broken in Chrome and IE8. 
Posted July 15, 2010 1:27:35 AM
Web space access slow Is it just me or is the webspace access for GD+ incredibly slow at the moment? It's taking up to an hour to get to the Manage Webspace page then taking forever to upload images. Thanks. 
Posted June 8, 2009 5:55:28 AM
Squishy This is an early screenshot from my current project, Squishy. The game revolves around a soft body hero with extendable elastic arms with which it swings around the level and moves objects around. The physics are handled by the inestimable Box2D.... 
Posted March 6, 2009 12:59:04 PM
Odd behaviour with D3DPOOL_MANAGED textures I've come across some rather odd behaviour in my game that seems to be related to using D3DPOOL_MANAGED textures. I have several textures in use in the game, one for the background, one that atlases map blocks, and textures containing my... 
Posted March 15, 2009 8:03:42 AM
Shader problem [EDIT - not to be a solved-thread-poster, but I've figured this out already. See end of post [smile]] I'm trying to switch between using two different vertex shaders in the same render loop and they seem to be interfering with each other. This... 
Posted January 9, 2009 4:00:18 PM
Do staff object to PMs used to play chess Serious question. I've been playing rip-off using capn_midnight's jschess and the site's PM. I recently also started another game with sprite_hound. This is starting to generate a lot of PMs. I don't really know how or if this has any affect &#... 
Posted October 8, 2008 2:23:02 PM
Chess Looking for a convenient way to play another member here at chess - he doesn't do Facebook and I don't really want to give my email address to any of these random sites I've found on Google. Anyone have any recommendations for a simple, hassl... 
Posted October 5, 2008 12:20:20 PM
SAT and multiple collisions Bit of a tricky problem to explain in words, so I've drawn some pictarz. I'm trying to basically use static SAT to do collisions, largely based on Oliii's tutorials. Everything is fine when colliding a pair of shapes, but I'm baffled by how t... 
Posted September 2, 2008 3:52:06 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[XNA] and Fix Your Timestep Quote:Original post by EJH - do all motion updates based on time elapsed since previous frame Problem with that is that simulations are not stable. In the case of complex physics, this can lead to assemblages bursting apart. In the more usua... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:33:08 AM
DirectAudio weird behavior No solution for you but just so you know you're not going nuts, I've observed a similar problem with DirectSound in my game - until I actually play a sound, there is a similar horrible lag. Doesn't really matter in the finished game as a sound wil... 
Posted January 5, 2011 10:37:55 AM
How are your eyes? Quote:Original post by Dave Quote:Original post by benryves I spend the most time in front of a monitor out of my immediate family, yet am the only one who doesn't wear glasses. Read into that what you will! [smile] Same. Same here... 
Posted January 3, 2011 9:42:49 AM
Fixed Timestepping Interpolation Quote:Original post by kiwibonga If you interpolate, the remainder accumulator should be reset to 0 at the end, because that time has been "accounted for" -- otherwise, you'll be accounting for a progressively bigger remainder every frame I don't... 
Posted January 2, 2011 3:21:07 AM
As a one-man hobbyist, I now find myself needing to get into design Quote:Original post by Narf the Mouse A) My project has now gotten so large I can't keep track of everything in my head. Me too. I wouldn't expect to be able to keep track of anything non-trivial in my head. That's why compartmentalised code and... 
Posted January 1, 2011 9:57:17 AM
Fixed Timestepping Interpolation Code looks okay from a quick look. What I would say is that timeGetTime() is not at all accurate unless you call timeBeginPeriod(1) at the start of the program. You need to call timeEndPeriod(1) before the program closes. QueryPerformanceCounter()... 
Posted January 1, 2011 6:30:48 AM
Drawing Sequare, got a triangle !!!! Help Plz Replied to your cross post. 
Posted December 31, 2010 2:37:23 PM
Solved:) How to show a square in D3D9 Triangle LIST requires 3 vertices per triangle. You have four in total so I guess you want a triangle STRIP, but beware of winding order issues. I wouldn't recommend cross posting here as a way to get responses faster. 
Posted December 31, 2010 2:35:55 PM
Help integrating Entity Editor in my 2D Level editor. Quote:Original post by HexDump I will go your way, I hope it will fit all my needs Me too - it works for me but I'm not pretending it is a silver bullet solution. Quote:Original post by HexDump Anyway I allways could have a "Scripting node" f... 
Posted December 31, 2010 1:32:26 PM
On Graphics, Windows, and C++ Quote:Original post by Thsotus Man, Windows is horribly messy. Who MADE THIS?! People with a view of a much, much bigger picture. Quote:Original post by Thsotus Is it better using a 2d library for 2d games instead of OpenGL? Libraries spe... 
Posted December 31, 2010 1:30:02 PM
View All Replies Made By This User