Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know jpetrie...  Moderator - For Beginners
Full Name Josh Petrie
Nickname jpetrie 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City Redmond, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.scientificninja.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1966  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/11/2003 4:57:11 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
February 2010 SlimDX SDK Now Available The February 2010 release of SlimDX is now available! The majority of the work put into the February 2010 release was spent on fixing bugs and bringing the new Windows 7 APIs up to a usable level. While support for these was provided in a pre... 
Posted February 19, 2010 8:11:11 PM
SlimDX August 2009 Now Available The SlimDX August 2009 official SDK release is now available! Get it now. This is a major release in terms of new functionality, mainly due to the long-awaited inclusion of (non-beta) Windows 7 support. The new Windows 7 features include Direct3D 11,... 
Posted October 10, 2009 4:18:36 PM
SlimDX November Release The SlimDX November release is now available. This release includes binaries built against both the August 2007 and November 2007 SDK. We also have a number of extra samples in our samples distribution. Notable Changes: Extensive math library f... 
Posted November 3, 2007 3:36:37 PM
Guild Wars Networking and Database Info I picked up the link to this blog post from the Guild Wars Incgamers site. The post links to two more detailed articles (here and here) that discuss some of the technical issues behind Guild Wars. The articles aren't amazingly in-depth and are rat... 
Posted June 12, 2007 12:05:24 PM
Visual Studio + Makefiles Problem This might be a problem I'm having with Visual Studio (2005, Standard) or this might be a problem caused by a lack of familiarity with Python; I'm not really sure yet. Here's the situation: I have a .vcproj that is set to a "Makefile" configuratio... 
Posted June 8, 2006 11:30:41 PM
MD2 Triangle Adjacency I need to compute a triangle adjacency table (e.g., for a given triangle at index n with a mesh, what are the three triangle indices that share the edges of triangle n). My algorithm is detailed below. The problem I am running into is that some mo... 
Posted May 21, 2005 4:16:19 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
"Game devs should avoid forums." WHAAAA? Quote: I have a lot of words for this person, but words cannot express how wrong he is on this position. Thoughts? I think Vogel's mostly right here. I almost never read any of the forums related to the games I have worked on, for mostl... 
Posted January 6, 2011 8:44:07 PM
bool slist percent true Quote: Well my reason for a singly linked list was because after it's created it shouldn't need to be altered at all. It just needs to store the data. A vector seemed like it would have more memory overhead. Properly-sized vectors will have less ov... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:04:37 PM
[SlimDX] Unable to create a base project. Your project is probably set to the "Any CPU" platform. Change it to the x86 configuration. 
Posted January 6, 2011 12:59:28 PM
bool slist percent true std::vector would be leaps and bounds better than slist. slist is a singly-linked list. Linked lists are generally quite poor at iteration relative to something like a vector, because a vector has much better cache coherence (algorithmically, they... 
Posted January 6, 2011 11:39:16 AM
bool slist percent true Why slist and not a container that better suits your requirements, then? Counting both during iteration is a reasonable approach. I would make sure to keep the slight ugliness of the std::pair (or whatever you use) encapsulated in the class itself... 
Posted January 6, 2011 11:27:12 AM
Easy to understand website for absolute beginners! Not only would I never recommend beginning programmers look at this site, I would actively discourage them from doing so. Here are just a few of the reasons why, based on my initial read-through. The site is ugly as sin, and black text &... 
Posted January 6, 2011 11:23:01 AM
Easy to understand website for absolute beginners! The name notwithstanding, For Beginners is not the place to advertise your own tutorials that you believe are suitable for beginners. Moving to the annoucements forum. 
Posted January 6, 2011 10:00:44 AM
Translating a Triangle - DIRECTX VC++ Note that in manipulating the geometry in this fashion, you're implying that you will be uploading the geometry back to the card every frame, or at least after every manipulation. This is not an approach that scales particularly well, in general. ... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:38:01 AM
GDNET WIKI not accessible ? I have notified the staff. 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:03:29 AM
How to make a sin/cos lookup table (for faster trig function) More importantly, "tricks" are usually dangerous. You generally should never use them without understanding them completely -- how they work, why they work, what the context and assumptions are, what the implications are for other code, et cetera. 
Posted January 5, 2011 10:57:04 AM
View All Replies Made By This User