Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know benryves...  GDNet+
Full Name Ben Ryves
Nickname benryves 
State/Province, Country Greater London   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Purley, Greater London, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.benryves.com/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID ryvesben 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Freelance Developer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1970  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/4/2003 5:28:46 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/benryves/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Correct colour of LaTeX equations against the Classic Black theme (Opera/Firefox) If you use the dark theme you may have noticed that equations in posts made by certain users are virtually illegible. To correct this, here are two userscripts, one for Opera and another for Firefox (requires Greasemonkey). The lower half o... 
Posted December 4, 2010 6:30:57 PM
Non-blocking file download in PHP I need to download a number of files from a number of different web servers. At the moment each file takes around two seconds to download. When each file is downloaded sequentially, this results in about a three minute wait for one hundred files... 
Posted October 27, 2010 9:52:56 AM
Integer-only line clipping to y=0, y=x and y=-x I need to clip line segments to y>0, y>x and y>-x. My current prototype uses floating point arithmetic. For y>0 I check if each end of the line's y component is negative and if so use linear interpolation to bring it up to y=0. For y&g... 
Posted October 16, 2010 9:07:27 PM
Type mismatch: 'm_l2Power' I keep getting the following error when viewing forum pages (or the journal index): Quote:Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d' Type mismatch: 'm_l2Power' /community/forums/lib/md5.asp, line 119 After refreshing the page I am presente... 
Posted October 11, 2010 4:01:52 PM
Software filled triangles to have the same edges as outlined triangles I'm attempting to knock together some code to fill triangles in software. I'd like these filled triangles to have the exactly the same boundary as they would if lines are drawn between the three vertices using Bresenham's line drawing algorithm. M... 
Posted July 13, 2010 2:54:31 PM
PM/email spam This user sent me the following PM: Quote:Greetings, My name is jessica a good looking girl i saw your profile today in www.gamedev.net i became very interested to you .l like traveling and meeting new friend, So please i will like to further comm... 
Posted July 9, 2010 7:29:21 AM
Location: mailto Different browsers seem to implement Location: mailto in a variety of ways. I have a CMS that lets the user set up a page to redirect somewhere else; currently this allows them to choose to redirect to a page on the website, an external URL or a... 
Posted April 19, 2010 10:32:29 AM
Disabling F12 in Visual Studio Whenever I hit F12 when debugging an app in Visual Studio, and that app has focus, I get the following message: Quote:Windows has triggered a breakpoint in appname.exe. This may be due to a corruption of the heap, which indicates a bug in appname... 
Posted February 8, 2010 6:00:59 AM
Interlaced VGA output from an ATi Radeon Does anyone know if it's possible to set an ATi Radeon to output interlaced video from its VGA port, preferably at a different refresh rate and resolution to the primary monitor on the DVI connection? If I plug a VGA monitor into my PC as a s... 
Posted January 16, 2010 1:06:19 PM
Storing and handling strings that include emoticons I'm dealing with a platform that uses a simple single-byte encoding for its strings. It's matches ASCII in most places, but features emoticons in place of some of the control characters. Now, I can represent a smile and a frown directly in a standard... 
Posted January 12, 2010 10:28:27 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Programming changed? Forever? Quote:Original post by daviangel I don't even know if a Base 10 Digital Calculater (non-biological/mechanical) exists?Yes, Dekatron-based machines were popular for a period.  
Posted January 5, 2011 4:00:55 PM
How are your eyes? I spend the most time in front of a monitor out of my immediate family, yet am the only one who doesn't wear glasses. Read into that what you will! [smile] 
Posted January 2, 2011 10:19:00 PM
[PHP/HTML] help in processing textarea Don't forget to encode the string to HTML before outputting it, else your site may be prone to XSS attacks. htmlspecialchars($message) should do the trick (though you'll need to do that before calling nl2br). 
Posted December 30, 2010 9:00:01 AM
[IE7] Left-justified vs centered text in forums, etc. Press F12 and ensure that the dropdown that is marked "Browser Mode" is set to "IE 8". 
Posted December 26, 2010 7:03:25 PM
where's that funny guy? Quote:Original post by Dave "MP3 Beating Compression" was a great thread. It Was Fork!!! 
Posted December 20, 2010 12:50:41 PM
Windows OS: What the weaknesses that everyone talks about Quote:Original post by Fiddler Edit: if anyone tries to follow toby's advice, please create a junction from the old APPDATA path to the new. Microsoft were evidently aware of poorly-written applications hard-coding the path — at least in Vist... 
Posted December 20, 2010 8:16:18 AM
[IE7] Left-justified vs centered text in forums, etc. Quote:Original post by dmatter Quote:Original post by benryves Oddly, IE seems to be sent different HTML to other browsers.Looks to be missing in Chrome too (and I guess Safari as well), although it renders correctly nonetheless. I think you can d... 
Posted December 18, 2010 9:13:23 PM
[IE7] Left-justified vs centered text in forums, etc. Oddly, IE seems to be sent different HTML to other browsers. Here's a relevant snippet from the HTML as seen by Opera and IE: <!-- Opera --> <div class="centrist"> <p align="center"><a href="http://www.qwarq.com/developers"&... 
Posted December 18, 2010 6:37:25 PM
where's that funny guy? Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto he got banned for some reason... I suspect that stealing passwords may be one of them.  
Posted December 18, 2010 7:09:57 AM
persistent manual underlining/hilighting in the browser OneNote would also be my initial recommendation. The closest thing I've encountered in a browser is Opera's "notes" feature. If you select some text on a page you can "Copy to note" which creates an editable text note in a panel to the left.... 
Posted December 13, 2010 5:56:45 PM
View All Replies Made By This User