Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know legalize...  XNA/DirectX MVP
Full Name Richard Thomson
Nickname legalize 
State/Province, Country UT   United States
GD Gathering City Salt Lake City, UT, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.xmission.com/~legalize 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1331  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/19/2005 2:35:45 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
C++ Mock Object Workshop on January 13th (Murray, UT) C++ Mock Object Workshop on January 13th Zhon Johansen and I will be covering C++ mock object frameworks at the January, 2010 meeting of XP Utah. Zhon will cover googlemock, the Google C++ Mocking Framework, and I will cover mockpp, Mock Obje... 
Posted December 19, 2009 11:28:51 PM
Direct3D Test Doubles I've posted the first in a series of blog posts about creating test doubles for test-driven Direct3D development. Direct3D Test Doubles, Part 1 More parts to follow in the next few days. Please post feedback to the blog so others can see it. 
Posted November 23, 2009 5:50:33 PM
Any Hexagon users out there? Is there anyone else out there using Hexagon for creating game content? 
Posted August 29, 2009 10:53:51 AM
Direct2D/DirectWrite talk at Utah Code Camp September 19, 2009 Utah Code Camp Fall 2009 
Posted August 26, 2009 12:11:11 PM
Book Review: ""Polygonal Modeling: Basic and Advanced Techniques" by Mario Russo "Polygonal Modeling: Basic and Advanced Techniques" by Mario Russo Quote:I've been working as a programmer for 30 years and in computer graphics for 20 years. During that time I've learned a lot about all the fancy ways that graphics hardware draw... 
Posted August 10, 2009 1:27:26 AM
Can't create account on wiki? Every time I try to create an account on the wiki, it takes all my information, then displays a page that says "can't open socket". What's the deal? 
Posted July 16, 2009 3:14:07 AM
Game Design Patterns OK, for a moment I thought I had found what I was looking for in this book Patterns in Game Design, but after reading the reviews it appears that this book is shit :-). However, in the gamedev discussions I see the same designs being discussed rep... 
Posted July 15, 2009 1:18:10 AM
Description Helpers For Direct3D 10, 10.1 and 11 Description Helpers For Direct3D 10, 10.1 and 11 Quote:In Direct3D 10, a number of device render states were aggregated into immutable objects. These immutable objects simplify state management on the device for the runtime and the driver, ma... 
Posted July 12, 2009 4:25:37 PM
C++ Unit Tests With Boost.Test I've written a series of new blog posts about how to write C++ unit tests with Boost.Test. I've found that the Boost.Test documentation isn't exactly the best and it can be a little confusing on how to start for those new to unit tests. Most... 
Posted July 5, 2009 6:53:53 PM
Why doesn't this work? (C++ multiple inheritance) OK, so I'm making fake objects for COM interfaces (ID3D11BlendState, etc.) and I'd like to coalesce the implementations of the base classes: IUnknown ID3D11DeviceChild ID3D11BlendState ID3D11RasterizerState so that I don't have... 
Posted June 30, 2009 10:31:01 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
C++ Mock Object Workshop on January 13th (Murray, UT) Just a reminder that this free workshop is tomorrow. We hope to see some new C++ programmers at this workshop. 
Posted January 12, 2010 5:32:45 PM
Any Hexagon users out there? What didn't you like about it? Was it the workflow? 
Posted August 29, 2009 10:14:04 PM
[SlimDX] Trouble with vertex buffers... In the March 2009 SlimDX, there is no constructor for a VertexBuffer that takes no arguments. What version of SlimDX are you using? 
Posted August 29, 2009 10:01:56 PM
[SlimDX/C#] Problem deploying an app... Did you try the stuff listed here? Google is your friend... http://geekswithblogs.net/ryanc/archive/2008/06/19/123009.aspx 
Posted August 29, 2009 9:06:11 PM
Free 2d/3d art assets '09! DAZ 3D Freepositories 
Posted August 29, 2009 8:19:00 PM
Problem importing D3DX in VB I would recommend you use SlimDX instead of Managed DirectX. Managed DirectX is deprecated and is quite old now. 
Posted August 29, 2009 10:56:11 AM
COM Pointer Additionally, I consider SAFE_RELEASE to be a source of bugs. Why? Because it says "no matter how many times I erroneously AddRef'ed this thing, just keep calling Release until its really gone!". It hides the fact that you called AddRef (eithe... 
Posted August 26, 2009 12:09:25 PM
Recommend or lend a free animal model for texturing practice Some free models: Tree Frog Morphing Python Sea Dragon Spuggles Creeper 
Posted August 15, 2009 4:34:45 PM
The Myth About STL I'd like to echo a few things that have been said in this thread. Quote:"First get it right, then get it tight." So many times I see people on graphics/game programming discussions going all bonkers over how many multiplies such-and-such a... 
Posted August 2, 2009 9:12:53 AM
Direct3D material diffuse color off You say "the textures were still off". When you load a .x file, you also have to load the textures from the filenames given in the .x file and set those textures on the device when you render that mesh's material. The filenames usually do not... 
Posted July 29, 2009 10:23:14 PM
View All Replies Made By This User