Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Telastyn...  
Full Name  
Nickname Telastyn 
State/Province, Country MN   United States
GD Gathering City minneapolis, MN, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1851  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/14/2003 12:34:05 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Education required on the resume? Not sure, this is the right forum for this, but I am interested in some resume opinions... and there's a bunch of resume questions right next to this so: My education is a detriment to my resume (no degree: 2 years, aeronautical engineering - coul... 
Posted February 14, 2010 9:04:56 PM
Tangent Developer Journal For those few of you who knew about, or are interesting about learning about Tangent, my experimental hobby language, then look here. Also, I needed something to test my sig. 
Posted November 6, 2010 12:49:19 AM
Should Dispose throw? This came up in another thread, but I think it perhaps best to split off into its own discussion. I personally think that it's quite unfortunate that .NET library classes can throw exceptions as part of their Dispose method. None of the examples I ca... 
Posted August 25, 2010 11:40:31 AM
Accidentally cleared my events? Not exactly game related, but a little test webapp I'm working with has a bug which has stumped me and my more experienced co-workers. The site is fairly simple. I have a jquery topnav bar (superfish if it matters). I have a simple text input fiel... 
Posted March 30, 2010 4:01:37 PM
[XNA/SlimDX] UI libraries? It's been some time since I've done actual game dev. In the past I've done my own UI which was time consuming, buggy, and generally a bad idea. Forum search showed some old links to flash UIs (not exactly what I want), C++ libs, and broken links. Mor... 
Posted July 23, 2009 4:40:51 PM
Which syntax do you like better? I'm working on a programming language as a hobby. Currently, syntax exists to create method signatures quickly: public static find( IEnumerable<T> collection, T -> bool predicate) => T{...} The problem comes when I want to... 
Posted July 10, 2009 2:25:57 PM
Use case for inheritance with non-default constructor? I've been going around and around in my head today trying to think of a case where you need a non-default constructor (really, the invariants of the class need some initial state and it has no sane default) and you want to inherit from that class. ... 
Posted June 15, 2009 11:44:19 PM
What do you want from your enums? As some might know, I am currently playing around with my own programming language. And as you may have guessed from the title, time has come to implement enumerations. I've done my research, and know my own sort of use cases, but I'm sure the lar... 
Posted March 20, 2009 2:19:50 PM
Quickie Collection question Data structures are not my strong suit. I am looking for a collection that will do this general pattern better than List<T>: if( Collection.Contains( foo ) ){ return; } Collection.Add( foo ); // process foo. // recurse. ... 
Posted March 13, 2009 12:02:34 PM
Limit Operator Overloading? As some might know, I dabble around with a progamming language. And I would like community thoughts about operator overloading. Function declarations in the language are a little more free form than in some languages. Normal C-ish looking metho... 
Posted February 20, 2009 3:08:48 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Building a language - Generic type system I don't have it documented really, but have done this. For my project, types are collections of member definitions which have their own type reference, name, and a few other tidbits. Also in the type definition is an (optionally filled) list of ge... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:27:27 PM
Dynamic functions and variables.. In ApochPiQ's example the phrase "code to be executed" is usually not going to be C++. It will be a stream of op-codes or similar elementary bits that you would then run/process (if your language is interpreted) or compile into something else (if it'... 
Posted January 5, 2011 1:42:50 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? This reminds me of one of my coworkers. Thinks he's hot shit because he's been a professional for 20+ years and can write some working code quick in 15 year old technology. Sadly, it's not nearly quick enough, and it's not nearly up to the codin... 
Posted January 2, 2011 11:29:40 PM
C++ Calling functions from text? Not in C++ without specifying/interpreting the mapping yourself. There's no mechanism to do it automatically, or reflection that would allow you to generate/find the function. 
Posted December 30, 2010 9:11:18 AM
[C#] How can I speed up float truncation? These are also not correct. Try 12.345678 for example. The multiplier depends on where the decimal point is. Even the string truncation version does not take that into account, and is incorrect. 
Posted December 28, 2010 11:37:39 AM
How much do my grades/school matter? 2-4 years of experience is one of those nice to haves. Someone with experience will still win out, but companies need to hire someone. If you know your stuff it's less important. Combine that with some hobby/open source games and that can be eno... 
Posted December 27, 2010 7:25:29 PM
is this thread safe??? Quote:Original post by kalixxx as for the b var it cannot be and old result coz there is none and the results are too consistent(no not the exact same number) This is not a guarantee of thread safety.  
Posted December 27, 2010 10:08:34 AM
is this thread safe??? Lovely naming of variables there... I'm not 100% sure that code is entirely thread safe. It's not my forte, but I'm reasonably certain that if it isn't, it's not safe in a nice sane manner (in the main thread, when you assign b to the label, it m... 
Posted December 26, 2010 11:30:13 PM
Better or Best Error Handling via signal() Not knowing anything about what's going on, I'd be inclined towards... void InitGameStuff(){ InitSound(); // etc. // let InitSound throw actual exceptions for the really bad stuff // and let whatever calls this determin... 
Posted December 26, 2010 10:58:32 PM
PHP Style function calling in C++ Quote:Original post by theOcelot In c/c++, they're called function pointers. But once you get the idea behind them, you will probably want to use boost:: or std::function, depending on your compiler. QFE. No need to reinvent the wheel h... 
Posted December 26, 2010 8:43:33 PM
View All Replies Made By This User