Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know flounder...  
Full Name  
Nickname flounder 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 952  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/23/2004 11:36:41 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
random vs fixed sleep interval I need to process a bunch of data, and it will take about a week of constant cpu time to process it all. The computer I'm going to be doing this on is somewhat old so I want to avoid taxing it too much, and I want to be able to use it during tha... 
Posted September 19, 2010 12:43:32 PM
compiling .cpp as .mm I have a small portion of c++ code that needs to compile as obj-c++ on a mac. Rather than keeping a copy of the file with a .mm extension, I'm trying to get gcc to compile the .cpp file as obj-c++, but it doesn't seem to want to. Are there any p... 
Posted July 19, 2010 6:09:48 PM
Average length of a line in a box I'm trying to come up with a statistical test for judging the quality of a prng. It involves randomly plotting 2 n-dimensional points in a n-dimensional box with sides of length 1, and finding the average distance between two points. I know the av... 
Posted March 1, 2010 11:36:01 AM
waveInGetNumDevs fails under vista As the title says, waveInGetNumDevs properly returns the number of audio devices under windows XP, but always returns 0 under vista. The only other incident of this that google turned up was solved by fixing drivers, but I made sure to get the l... 
Posted May 26, 2008 11:35:43 PM
win32 control styles I'm using CreateWindowEx to create the controls for a window, however, for both XP and vista, the buttons, fonts, edit boxes, etc all look like this: And I want them to look something like this: As an example of what I'm using to create... 
Posted May 3, 2008 2:23:50 PM
Accumulate rotation transformation Right now, whenever i want to apply a series of rotations and transformations to a vector, i have to run through all the matrices and transformations in a loop. The transformations and rotations are all static however, and i think that they can all b... 
Posted December 6, 2007 3:11:51 PM
OpenAL redistributable I've implemented OpenAL, forgetting that I'll need to ship the OpenAL redistributable with whatever I release. Is there a way I can avoid sending the redistributable? If not, is there a comparable cross platform and royalty free library out there I c... 
Posted October 18, 2007 6:59:30 PM
fit to data I've written a brute force equation generator that accepts possible integer inputs, integer constants, and operators and uses them to generate an equation that outputs the given answers. This is very slow though, and i figured that there had to be so... 
Posted July 18, 2007 10:24:48 PM
glCopyTexSubImage2D messes up textures I'm using textures as images that can be drawn to like the back buffer. Drawing to textures works fine, but when i draw to a texture in full screen, minimize and then restore the window, the texture is either all black or random colors. This onl... 
Posted April 22, 2007 9:43:45 PM
check if window is maximized Is there any way to do this? I'm sure there is since a window can be minimized/maximized with ShowWindow(), i just can't find a way to check if it already is minimized/maximized. 
Posted December 23, 2006 5:32:02 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
random vs fixed sleep interval Quote:Original post by coder0xff However, I think there may be a better solution for you. Rather than sleeping, you can set the processes priority to a lower level so that it will run full crank 100% when you aren't using the computer, but the momen... 
Posted September 19, 2010 1:39:22 PM
compiling .cpp as .mm Thanks, that got everything working. 
Posted July 19, 2010 10:13:43 PM
Random Numbers and Humans An idea: try thinking of a movie or a story, then think of a short, 1 sentence summary of it. For each word in the summary, if there's an odd number of letters you get a 1 and if it's even you get a 0. Remembering the summary as you try to count l... 
Posted April 4, 2010 4:49:43 PM
Average length of a line in a box The 8 they have should be good enough for me, since this prng test wouldn't be testing a very high number of dimensions anyway. Thanks for the links! 
Posted March 1, 2010 3:38:04 PM
Optimized Collision Detection & Physics If you're doing a distance check in NarrowPhaseCollision, you don't need to do it in BroadPhaseCollision. Your issue with resolving one collision and creating another in the process doesn't have any fast solution that I know of, but you can make... 
Posted August 18, 2009 5:55:11 PM
Optimized Collision Detection & Physics It matters a lot if you sweep through cells or particles, the entire point of having cells is to avoid checking collisions between particles that will never collide. Typically a spatial indexing grid goes like this: You have a grid of cells. Each... 
Posted August 18, 2009 1:06:42 PM
Optimized Collision Detection & Physics I probably didn't explain it correctly, can you post the modified code? 
Posted August 18, 2009 12:34:41 AM
Optimized Collision Detection & Physics You shouldn't be getting quadratic time with a spatial index grid, but it's hard to tell that with just the code posted. As for speeding it up, you can rearrange the math to remove some redundant operations. nX=d_x/R nY=d_y/R So you can remove... 
Posted August 17, 2009 11:29:55 PM
Rigid body dynamics intro I would start with implementing circle-circle collision detection and response, and then using that as a base for more complicated dynamics. Searching for pool/billiard physics should turn up a bunch of easy to read code. 
Posted May 30, 2009 2:01:54 PM
What does it mean to be a nerd? Quote:Dmytry We could very well be de-evolving at the moment (but it wont last for long to have actual effect). De-evolving from what? If you mean from our cave man like ancestry, then I'd agree, but according to a scientific american article I... 
Posted January 23, 2009 2:12:57 PM
View All Replies Made By This User