Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Strife...  
Full Name Mike De Palatis
Nickname Strife 
State/Province, Country TX   United States
GD Gathering City Austin, TX, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://mike.polycat.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student 
Job Description Undergraduate physics student 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1183  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/26/1999 1:00:00 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
FAQ I am always looking to continually enhance this forum's FAQ. Please post any questions (along with answers, if you have them) that you feel should be included. Also, if you are a first time forum-goer, please read the FAQ before posting. [Edit... 
Posted June 19, 2004 5:11:17 PM
Gaim + Google Talk Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten Google's Jabber server to work with Gaim on a platform other than Windows? It doesn't get past "authenticating" for me, and my friend using Adium on OS X can't seem to connect either. It mysteriously work... 
Posted August 24, 2005 4:21:22 PM
Why do the autotools suck? So I've been around Linux for a long time, but I've resisted learning the autotools. Why? Because they're complicated as hell. I really don't want to spend an extra 30 minutes having to remind myself what all the damn macros are and then writing t... 
Posted May 27, 2005 2:24:15 AM
Ye olde windowe manager threade So I've been around Linux for a while (about 5 years now), but I remain disappointed with the window managers available. The problem is, a number of them have features I like, but each one seems to have annoyances that others don't have. For... 
Posted April 6, 2005 11:37:05 AM
GNOME settings Ok, so just for fun, I decided to mess around with GNOME a bit more today (as I've said previously, I always switch what I like using). Anyway, I tried to add the Email notifier applet to the panel, and then things froze up. I had to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPA... 
Posted April 25, 2005 1:43:01 AM
Ndiswrapper and Debian So recently, you may recall that my hard drive died. Well, when I had initially installed Debian on that drive, I was at my parents' where I had an ethernet connection to the Internet, but in my apartment I only have wireless access. (The f... 
Posted February 18, 2005 2:04:46 PM
Data recovery from a dead drive I suppose this question isn't necessarily *nix-related, but since the drive in question was formatted with ReiserFS, I would think there would be 'nix tools to do the job... Anyway, I had a hard drive that crashed recently (a Maxtor, the second ti... 
Posted February 11, 2005 11:32:32 AM
GDM and the path So I'm trying to run Eclipse on my freshly-installed Debian, but it complains about the Java binaries not being in the path. No problem, I change it. So I can open Eclipse from the command line, but for some reason, I can't seem to make the pa... 
Posted December 22, 2004 5:00:20 PM
Java 1.5 Ready for Download Java 1.5 Ready for DownloadPosted by: Strife at September 30, 2004 5:06:11 PM 
Posted September 30, 2004 5:06:11 PM
Music Plasma I was at a friend's house last night, and he showed me this great site called Music Plasma. You type in the name of a band, and it gives you a little map centered on the band you searched for, showing similar bands in close proximity. The clos... 
Posted July 31, 2004 12:58:16 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
The GDNet Dead Poll Quote:Original post by Will F He's probably still alive, but it looks like Strife is no longer with us (he hasn't posted since October 29, 2005). Perhaps the Java Development forum needs a new moderator? Funny, I told Dave that about a year and... 
Posted July 24, 2006 9:28:46 AM
FAQ Post away... 
Posted October 29, 2005 1:52:22 PM
Gaim + Google Talk Yeah, it works now. I'm not sure what the big deal was... 
Posted August 25, 2005 1:19:34 PM
Gaim + Google Talk Yeah, I've followed Google's own instructions for setting up Gaim, but it's refusing to work for me... 
Posted August 24, 2005 8:10:54 PM
starbucks Starbucks???? Are you kidding me? The only reasonable excuse you have for going there is if you live in such a small town that there is no other coffee place for you to go to. 
Posted August 6, 2005 7:19:01 AM
Funniest Computer Word Quote:Original post by Nypyren Cliches That Piss Me Off: The recursive acronym pattern "<acronym> Is Not <whatever>" GNU is Not Unix PINE Is Not Eudora <etc> It was clever the first time, but get over it. PINE actua... 
Posted August 3, 2005 4:16:48 PM
Ladies and gentlemen (mostly gentlemen), Actually, Python in general is really cool. Even though I hardly know it, it's already becoming one of my favorite languages. Where I can use a scripting language, I accept no substitutes (except maybe Bash scripting, if I'm mainly manipulating... 
Posted August 2, 2005 3:36:51 PM
Moving from Java to C# C# was basically designed to be Java plus some other stuff that Java should (erm, doesn't) have, e.g., operator overloading. So yes, learning C# after knowing Java would require relatively little time. I haven't looked at C# a whole lot before, bu... 
Posted August 1, 2005 2:39:24 PM
Social networking IM, neat idea. Very cool idea. Privacy isn't really so much of an issue, seeing as you have to opt in to it rather than opt out. I was also very pleasently surprised to see that there is (or at least will be) a Linux client. If this catches on, I may look i... 
Posted August 1, 2005 2:34:51 PM
Mouse issues on ubuntu Hoary. I remember having those same problems with Slackware when I first started using Linux years ago. The solution to the problem was simply finding the correct driver to use. It's strange that ImPS/2 isn't working for you, though. Try a few of the other... 
Posted July 31, 2005 2:13:27 PM
View All Replies Made By This User