Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know ApochPiQ...  Moderator - General Programming
Full Name Mike Lewis
Nickname ApochPiQ 
State/Province, Country GA   United States
GD Gathering City Atlanta, GA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://members.gamedev.net/bag-of-holding/index.htm 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Developer 
Job Description Design and programming 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1968  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/17/2002 8:32:30 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/bag-of-holding/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Multiplayer FPS design principles So the recent release of Call of Duty: Black Ops has gotten me thinking. Anyone with some time logged with FPSes on the Xbox 360 is aware of the eternal holy war over which FPS franchise is best: Call of Duty, or Halo. Players rarely seem to lik... 
Posted November 11, 2010 2:08:47 AM
Seattle Area? Lately I've been getting fed up a lot with the Atlanta area, for a horde of reasons, ranging from fairly personal to mundane to somewhat critical for my future. It's time to get the heck out of this place. One of my big potential destinations is S... 
Posted October 17, 2010 2:38:33 PM
RFC: Epoch Programming Language, Release 10 Release 10 of the Epoch programming language project is now available! Downloads are freely available for the installer and source snapshot. For those not familiar with the project, Epoch is a programming language designed to be a pragmatic, effic... 
Posted October 11, 2010 2:29:49 AM
RFC: Epoch programming language, release 9 Release 9 of the Epoch programming language is now available for download. For those not familiar with the project, check out the introduction. CUDA integration is much improved and should now be rich enough to facilitate non-trivial GPGPU pr... 
Posted March 7, 2010 4:52:27 AM
RFC: Epoch Programming Language, Release 8 Release 8 of the Epoch programming language is now available. Epoch aims to provide rich, first-class support for parallel processing and concurrent programming. Check out the Epoch Release 8 download for a big chunk of new features and fixes: ... 
Posted February 12, 2010 4:33:48 PM
Visual C++ - restore hidden dialogs Somewhere along the line, I mistakenly checked one of those ever-so-lovely "never show this message again" boxes; the particular error is the warning you get when saving a file during an active build. I really would prefer to have that error dis... 
Posted December 1, 2009 11:47:29 PM
CRTP and dynamic dispatch I'm working on a set of C++ classes that represent nodes in a tree. I want to be able to traverse that tree and apply logic to each node, basically as a Visitor pattern: template <typename T> void Node::Visit(T& visitor) { visitor... 
Posted November 20, 2009 10:22:03 AM
Please do not mark threads as "solved" Please do not mark threads as "solved" when posting in the General Programming forum. Tagging a thread as "solved" tends to discourage further discussion and contributions within a thread. Often there are other perspectives and solutions available, a... 
Posted November 16, 2009 5:02:21 PM
Beyond profiling I'm in the process of doing some heavy optimization work on a project, and up until now I've been using a handful of profiling tools to guide the work - the standard hotspot detection and repair approach. However, I've now reached a point whe... 
Posted July 16, 2009 1:13:16 PM
Virtuality I'm fairly surprised that nobody has posted on this yet... anyone seen the Virtuality pilot? As much as I loathe the whole "fake TV show about a reality show" construct, I have to admit that the concept of this particular show intrigues me. T... 
Posted July 2, 2009 11:14:02 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Building a language - Generic type system Are you looking for the theoreticals of how type systems are designed and what goes into them from a philosophical standpoint? Or for practical advice on how to implement a particular type system? A vanilla type system with simple subtyping i... 
Posted January 6, 2011 5:31:07 PM
Dynamic functions and variables.. I would suggest coming up with an execution model for your language first. Get basic linear code working, then flow control, then worry about functions. It'll be a lot simpler that way. 
Posted January 5, 2011 9:57:43 PM
Dynamic functions and variables.. The simplest solution is to write a general "function" class which holds a list of parameters, return value(s), and code to be executed. (This assumes you already have a general model for storing executable code, which I'm not sure about?) Variabl... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:53:01 AM
Help with a performance bottleneck? PM me and I'll arrange some hosting on my GDNet+ space for you. 
Posted January 5, 2011 10:43:07 AM
Chain of Responsibility and the Pause/Menu problem I can think of two basic approaches. The first is to store the button state for all relevant buttons when you push a new state onto the stack, and when a state is popped, poll all buttons again and compare the two. Where you find discrepancies,... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:40:11 PM
Country mapping I just don't know what the limitations are on using those data sets for, say, a commercial game. I'm no lawyer, so I can't say for sure one way or another, but it never hurts to play it safe and check before committing to doing it [smile] 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:34:46 PM
C++ unsigned __int64 to/from double conversions I'll grant that it's a bit fuzzy and open to some creative interpretation, but ... eh. My view is that the standard leaves this as undefined behavior, not that it specifically requires the conversion of float64 to uint64 to conform to the semantics t... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:32:12 PM
Just wondering... Think of it this way: How much practice does it take to juggle? How much practice does it take to juggle chainsaws? How much practice does it take to ride a bike? How much practice does it take to ride a bike while juggling chainsaws? If you... 
Posted January 4, 2011 5:32:04 PM
Pointer to a pointer? Arrays are not pointers, but they can decay to pointers; that is, the language will implicitly make a conversion in certain contexts. The two lines are basically equivalent, yes. argv gives you a pointer to a char*, which by convention can be u... 
Posted January 4, 2011 5:27:33 PM
Country mapping Sure, this is possible, although the legal hurdles of getting the geological data may be a bit of a pain. I used to have a program called VistaPro that would do realistic 3D renderings of terrain scapes, and it shipped with a CD full of actual pla... 
Posted January 4, 2011 5:16:38 PM
View All Replies Made By This User