Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know spacerat...  
Full Name Sven Forstmann
Nickname spacerat 
State/Province, Country Kanagawa   Japan
GD Gathering City Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://voxels.blogspot.com/ 
ICQ ID 62304022 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1151  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/26/2006 8:17:12 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Perlin Noise Terrain Raycasting with SSAO and SSDM The demo is an experiment to combine terrain raycasting of perlin noise generated terrain with screen space ambient occlusions (SSAO) and screen space displacement mapping (SSDM). The terrain is generated at the beginning of the demo as a 1024x256... 
Posted September 13, 2010 7:29:20 PM
Perlin Noise Terrain Raycasting on the GPU Here a first trial to raycast perlin noise on the fly for achieving volumetric terrain rendering. In the demo, a 128^3 sized random volume data is used as a base for the scenes on the screenshots above. By optimizing the empty-space ski... 
Posted November 26, 2009 9:38:41 AM
CUDA Voxel Rendering Engine Here a new demo of my engine. It uses the algorithm of Ken Silverman's Voxel Engine which is generally described in a more than 10 year old paper: A Voxel-Based, Forward Projection Algorithm for Rendering Surface and Volumetric Data. I added some mod... 
Posted March 12, 2009 12:35:46 PM
Spline Skinning for Skeletal Animation Todays Image of the day is about Spline Skinning. The idea is very simple: Just replace normal rigid bones by spline bones. This avoids almost all drawbacks of matrix skinning as the candywrapper effect or collapsing geometry for strong bending... 
Posted March 9, 2007 5:17:08 PM
Screen Space Normals (SSN) + SSAO Here an experiment of Screen-Space-Normals (SSN). They are entirely computed from the depth buffer, without using any other information. The advantage is, its not necessary anymore to store normals or a normal-map anymore. However, as a certain radiu... 
Posted December 18, 2008 3:40:32 PM
Experimental Voxel Engine Here a first demo of my experimental voxel engine. Visualized are about 10000^3 voxels by repeatedly rendering an example scene ( 1024x1024x1024 ). The data is run-length encoded (RLE) and at the moment only 3DOF are supported. The renderin... 
Posted September 27, 2007 9:58:01 PM
Deformation Effects for Skeletal Animation I've recently been working on a method to allow the customization of skeletal animations. It is targetted for modeling muscles, metal, self intersections and folds. The pictures above already show some early results. It might firstly look like... 
Posted May 7, 2007 3:51:19 PM
Voxel-based L-System Today's IOTD is an experimental L-System to create plants. The new idea is, to create plants in Voxelspace, before converting them into polygons for rendering. This has a couple of advantages over the common L-systems: * Forking branches are... 
Posted March 7, 2007 10:31:02 PM
VBO performance-loss on GF8800 ? Does anybody have experienced this too ? In my case, The framerate of my demo application dropped from about 50 fps (GF6600) to 14 fps (GF8800GTS). So far, I had this problem only with VBO's - displaylists work fine. regards, Sven  
Posted March 15, 2007 1:23:11 AM
Normal vector problems My difficulty is as follows: I'm having two vertices p1 and p2 and a normal vector for each of them ( n1 and n2 ). Now I would like to multiply p1 and p2 as follows: p12 = p1 * p2 -> p12.x = p1.x * p2.x p12.y = p1.y * p2.y p12.z = p1.... 
Posted December 5, 2006 12:20:12 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Implementing LOD based Terrain >> why is it good for terrain? you can do terrain with displacementmapping in one pass >> Does it simplify terrain assembling? yes - you have unlimited geometry details and no trouble with triangle count >>Does i... 
Posted October 22, 2010 9:27:46 PM
Implementing LOD based Terrain Why using triangles ? Its easier to raycast the terrain - you dont need to worry about geometry in this case. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416425%28VS.85%29.aspx 
Posted October 22, 2010 5:37:21 AM
Voxel Mapping I've read the paper. It a good idea but it consumes too much memory in my opinion. If each object in the scene has like 30MB you cant have too many. True impostors of course cant replace volume data, but they are much more memory friendly. 
Posted October 15, 2010 1:31:28 AM
Voxel Mapping Update: I found the pdf - just in case you want to take a look. Its already a bit older, but if it would be implemented in CUDA I guess you might get good results. Efficient High Quality Rendering of Point Sampled Geometry (pdf) 
Posted October 14, 2010 9:46:44 PM
Voxel Mapping You can try to figure out if there are gaps between 2 rasterized pixels. If yes, you just rasterize the pixel in between. There was a pretty good paper on using a linear octree to store & render point-data with 1.12bit / point position inform... 
Posted October 13, 2010 3:39:41 AM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. >>I'd like to be able to do something in software that's comparable to it in terms of looks and performance, although I really doubt I can since ALL of software rendering is slow compared to hardware with scenes of similar complexity and not ju... 
Posted October 12, 2010 12:49:27 AM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. I guess what you want to do is related to the voxel mapping thread. In this case you can use interpolation to speed up the rasterization. You plan to rasterize a hightmap right? so you have 2 plane vectors and the plane normal p3d = plane_or... 
Posted October 12, 2010 12:27:51 AM
Voxel Mapping hm.. if it wouldn't be ray casting, you need to rasterize the geometry from the map. but how do you guarantee that there are no gaps between pixels? Its like point based rendering / splatting if I understand correctly. 
Posted October 11, 2010 11:48:55 PM
Voxel Mapping You might want to read this: CPU Gems3 Chapter 21. True Impostors http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch21.html Its implemented in Future mark vantage: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkvantage/introduction/ You can al... 
Posted October 10, 2010 3:11:53 AM
Perlin Noise Terrain Raycasting with SSAO and SSDM Quote:Original post by asimocpp Got a error namely: Cuda error in file 'cuda_main.cu' in line 467 : out of memory You need at least 768MB or more GPU ram. 
Posted September 21, 2010 12:04:45 PM
View All Replies Made By This User