Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know capn_midnight...  GDNet+
Full Name Sean McBeth
Nickname capn_midnight 
State/Province, Country PA   United States
GD Gathering City Glenside, PA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.seanmcbeth.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1488  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/11/2000 9:10:58 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/capn_midnight/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
A new sort of development environment I've been thinking about a design for a new type of development environment, particularly suited for extreme hacking. The core concept is to centrally host all of the necessary tools of the development process, from documentation to code to even comp... 
Posted October 4, 2010 9:44:16 AM
On leaving .NET I recently ran across a blog posting that echoed a lot of personal feelings that I hadn't yet figured out how to articulate. It's a very hard decision. I'm very productive in .NET with C#. But I do often feel like it's me against the world here. C... 
Posted September 24, 2010 10:48:50 AM
Diddle, a DRY Data Definition Language Introducing Diddle, my very hackish data definition language for people who don't like to type a lot. Diddle is about leverage. I took all the repetitive malarky that I go through with defining database layouts and applied DRY to the extreme. With... 
Posted September 11, 2010 4:38:11 PM
need new development PCs My desktop overheats, my laptop is a slow POS. It's time, it's time for an upgrade. I'll figure out specs on my own, but what I really want to talk about is manufacturers. My desktop needs to be screamingly powerful. I have no patience for wa... 
Posted September 10, 2010 9:00:57 AM
JavaScript game loop I have a number of uses for a "game loop" in javascript, either for old Dynamic HTML stuff or new HTML5 stuff, be it games or business apps. I'm not happy with the performance of setInterval (or its retarded brother, setTimeout) and was wondering... 
Posted August 16, 2010 12:29:34 PM
A poll on viewer reactions I've put together a poll to test the subjective reaction of a viewer to certain stimuli. Basically, there are four images. Each image depicts the same pairs of circles. The images differ in the type of gradient rendered in the background. The poll is... 
Posted August 1, 2010 5:35:23 PM
A GDNet tribute to Megaman < 
Posted July 26, 2010 4:34:09 PM
MS Office documents as container formats What the hell is wrong with people that they will past screenshots and logos into a Word document before emailing it to me? JUST SEND ME THE DAMN IMAGE FILE!!! 
Posted July 13, 2010 11:28:48 AM
Super Mario Crossover This is more awesome than your cheese flavored milkbones. 
Posted July 1, 2010 8:44:41 PM
the next 3 hour game contest So, I'm thinking about running another contest soon. I was interested to hear what feedback people had about the contest. Any ideas on the format? Any ideas on ways it could be improved? Any ideas for thematic curve balls that would make th... 
Posted June 5, 2010 12:11:24 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
I think the original poster might have a point invoke mashup of bacon and lolcats and instantly become most popular person on teh intarwebs 
Posted December 2, 2010 7:31:06 PM
What do you like about any game I miss the original Bushido Blade's (a pre-SquareEnix Squaresoft title that wasn't an RPG and/or didn't suck) handling of sword combat with the realistic "one hit kills". It made the fights much more plodding and strategic, without making them long a... 
Posted November 29, 2010 5:23:31 PM
Re: Torque dying, What's the best engine for 2D games? Quote:Original post by CirdanValen I'd be neat if we could create an open-source alternative. You'd be neat? 
Posted November 12, 2010 4:59:52 PM
Street Fighter One I searched "original street fighter" and found it immediately 
Posted November 12, 2010 4:59:29 PM
Re: Torque dying, What's the best engine for 2D games? Years ago, I liked Haaf. Not sure what it's current state is. 
Posted November 12, 2010 4:11:06 PM
SCOTUS Takes Up Violent Video Games Case Quote:Original post by LessBread Quote:Original post by capn_midnight If the MPAA doesn't consistently apply rating standards, then consumers will lose faith in the system. It's basically a cartel. It's not clear that the MPAA does consistentl... 
Posted November 3, 2010 2:58:16 PM
SCOTUS Takes Up Violent Video Games Case Quote:Original post by MarkS Quote:Original post by owl If movies are being already rated for their contents I don't see why games shouldn't. Anyone being against this law should also advocate for the removal of movie ratings too. Honestly I wou... 
Posted November 1, 2010 10:57:14 AM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Promit I respect Carmack as much as anybody. But. "Government is a poor solution to everything, thus I will suggest absolutely nothing useful in comparison." That is apparently the standard libertarian line nowadays -- e... 
Posted October 29, 2010 1:54:09 PM
Booze to get mind off the code I made myself a rule a long time ago: don't ever drink for any reason other than liking the taste. Drink for the enjoyment of the experience itself, not because it makes you forget things*. If I'm just drinking, I'm going to just sit and think mor... 
Posted October 28, 2010 5:35:48 PM
One Keyboard One Mac One PC Quote:Original post by JoeCooper RDP. Configure the Windows machine to act as a desktop server. Then fire up the Mac. Use Microsoft's remote desktop client for Mac. Or a physical switch. also, OS X v10.4+ has a VNC server built in.  
Posted October 18, 2010 7:36:42 PM
View All Replies Made By This User