Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know ValMan...  
Full Name Valeriy Novytskyy
Nickname ValMan 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City Vancouver, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1244  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/4/2006 5:32:59 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Poor performance drawing quads Hello, This is revisit from http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=576359. I implemented my own mechanism for rendering quads, lines, points and point sprites using a material system as a replacement for D3DXSprite. The perf... 
Posted November 11, 2010 1:09:06 PM
Help with bitmap font rendering Hello, I implemented custom font rendering in my engine using bitmapped fonts (loaded at runtime from true type or raster font). Most of it is working well, however I am getting visual artifacts concerning the horizontal and vertical spacing of dr... 
Posted October 12, 2010 6:00:43 PM
Pure Device w/State Manager slower than Non Pure w/o one! Hello, My engine uses an Effects system and has a state manager on pure device, just like the State Manager sample in the SDK. Because my states are cached, I found that the state blocks that Effect uses internally to save and restore state c... 
Posted October 25, 2010 7:52:40 PM
Custom batching: wrong materials applied Hello, I wrote my own batching system to replace D3DXSprite because I wanted more flexibility. Recently I started getting this problem - when I drop my in game console and start typing, some of the triangles rendered later in a batch than the cons... 
Posted September 28, 2010 7:08:48 PM
Wrote batching system to replace D3DXSprite, now poor performance Hello, I needed some extra functionality for rendering objects in my 2D app, so I decided to write my own class to handle batching. Unlike D3DXSprite, it can handle objects that use different Effects with different parameters, various geometry typ... 
Posted July 9, 2010 6:37:20 PM
Point Sprites with Effects I am rendering a point list with a D3DXEffect. Vertex declaration is XYZ+PSIZE, effect vertex shader is null, and pixel shader takes float2 texcoord: TEXCOORD0. When I sample using that texcoord in the pixel shader (and just return the result), I... 
Posted June 9, 2010 10:09:26 AM
D3DPT_LINELIST: lines are 1 pixel off Hello, I wrote a function to render lines with D3D9 device - it takes a list of points and a list of 16-bit indexes, then debug version calls DrawPrimitiveUP with appropriate parameters (release version does batching). Lines appear (and I am using... 
Posted June 7, 2010 3:57:07 PM
GetGlyphOutline - different black box for GGO_METRICS and _BITMAP Hello, I haven't been able to find an answer to the issue I am having with GetGlyphOutline. When getting info for the same character, passing GGO_METRICS flag returns one black box size, and passing GGO_GRAY8_BITMAP returns another black box... 
Posted May 3, 2010 1:18:26 PM
Game Development Comic Hello all, I wanted to start a comic about game development for several years now, and I finally got to the stage of roughing out characters. There will probably be like half a year before I get the first few episodes out, but some is better than... 
Posted December 7, 2008 7:18:08 PM
DirectSound buffer with generated data Hello, My friend recently asked me to write a program that generates square waves of configurable frequency. I used DirectSound before for playing static buffers without streaming, but adjustable frequency play, as I understand, would require havi... 
Posted September 26, 2008 10:53:24 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Video Settings of my Game I think the texture detail setting is supposed to reduce texture memory usage, which means you physically have to load smaller resolution textures. SetLOD only controls the mip level used from a texture with mip levels already loaded. In order t... 
Posted November 12, 2010 4:45:00 PM
Poor performance drawing quads I looked at Instancing sample on the SDK. I have one question: if I store the positions, colors and tex coords of my quads in shader constants as arrays, then what should the verts themselves contain? Should I have each vert contain just th... 
Posted November 12, 2010 10:58:07 AM
Poor performance drawing quads I am using D3D9, I believe instancing is D3D10 or D3D9c only feature? The major part of the slow-down is in rendering text. Somehow I doubt that sending 500 or so draw calls is going to be faster than sending 2 draw calls with 250 quads each.... 
Posted November 11, 2010 3:58:57 PM
Help with bitmap font rendering For anyone interested, the problem was resolved. Turns out GetGlyphOutline returns different values when it's called with GGO_METRICS versus GGO_BITMAP flags. GGO_METRICS is used to get only metrics and GGO_BITMAP is used to retrieve the bitmap... 
Posted November 1, 2010 5:58:35 PM
Help with bitmap font rendering Thank you for your replies. I fixed the horizontal inter-letter spacing, that works fine now. The spacing of characters from the baseline is still incorrect. I am using exactly the same formula as what you posted. With font Courier New point si... 
Posted October 13, 2010 12:59:32 PM
Custom batching: wrong materials applied [EDIT] Updating for anyone who might later get the same problem. It appears the cause of this error is two-fold. The reason the problem was happening only in Debug mode is because vertex buffers get cleared to 0s by the runtime for validat... 
Posted September 29, 2010 11:08:14 AM
Buying Art Assets http://www.cgtextures.com/ 
Posted July 22, 2010 2:54:42 PM
Damn,composing's hard! The book I am reading right now is The Total Rock Bassist by Dan Bennett. Besides the obvious overview of all techniques on the bass guitar, it has tons and tons of music theory instruction, related to actual popular songs. Popular of course is... 
Posted June 11, 2010 3:28:10 PM
Damn,composing's hard! Music composition actually has a ton of rules - scales (major, natural minor, etc), degrees, modes (ionian, dorian, phrygian, etc), chords and chord progressions, knowing what key you are playing in, intervals (major 2nd, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, etc)... 
Posted May 21, 2010 11:18:45 AM
Small file transfers? File transfer from server is really easy to do, if you are already running an HTTP server. I wrote a simple file download routine just last week: 1. Include wininet.h and link to wininet.lib 2. Call InternetOpen to initialize WinInet library, sav... 
Posted March 18, 2010 11:44:04 AM
View All Replies Made By This User