Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know goldenpanda...  
Full Name Kirby Zhang
Nickname goldenpanda 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Hayward, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.battleballgame.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Lead Programmer 
Job Description game engine, economic simulation, game design 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1053  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/20/2005 5:15:07 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
hex versus squares for war games Hi there, I've been working on some concepts for my next game, an online war game set on the Eastern Front. I've been playing war games since Gary Grisgby was making War in Russia on DOS. I've seen all kinds of maps. Most re... 
Posted May 14, 2010 12:39:33 AM
Battle Ball Online Battle Ball is essentially 3D pong with a competitive twist. You can play it head-to-head over the Internet, level up your paddle, then go on to win tournaments. The game is built around the prize tournaments. As part of the beta testing I'm... 
Posted August 6, 2007 8:11:46 PM
Battle Ball major update! I have released the 5th patch of Battle Ball, the biggest one to date. Key features are spectator betting, court rotation, and membership accounts. Please check it out! Happy Thanksgiving! DOWNLOAD IT HERE: http://www.battleballgame.net ... 
Posted November 22, 2007 3:49:37 PM
background music for slow paced "3d pong"? My game takes around 3 seconds between paddle hits (I chose a slow pace to help network play). It gives me a problem when looking for background music. Nothing seems to fit the action. Can anyone make suggestions? http://www.battleballgame.net 
Posted October 7, 2007 5:04:20 PM
Marketing with PAD files? Has anyone used one of the paid PAD file submission services? I'd like to hear about your experience with it! Since my game (http://www.battleballgame.net) is intended for an international audience, can the submission services help me get th... 
Posted August 31, 2007 12:17:22 AM
My game just went live -- giving away Game Maker + Civ 4 My site has just gone up! Battle Ball is essentially 3D pong with a competitive twist. You can play it head-to-head over the Internet, level up your paddle, then go on to win tournaments. Currently as a beta testing promotion I'm giving away... 
Posted August 4, 2007 7:25:59 PM
can you guys play my free game d000hg and I are in the lobby now we're looking for players. There's a prize competition for Civ 4 and game maker 7 license. Oh yeah download it here 
Posted August 6, 2007 4:36:09 PM
name suggestions for sports game I need a new name for my upcoming game. The game is essentially "pong 3D" played online. An early alpha is available here: http://www.spaceballgame.net The next release focuses on tournament games and prizes. The name should emphasize c... 
Posted May 7, 2007 3:51:40 PM
Marketing possibilities with dedicated server I have a dedicated server (100mbps connection) I'm not using at the moment. I was thinking it could be used as game server for a game like Battlefield 2. My question is 1) how can I help keep my server populated (donate it to a gaming clan?), 2) what... 
Posted May 2, 2007 2:55:42 PM
Download Space Ball "multiplayer pong"! It's free and it's lot of fun! Download it now -- merry Christmas gamedev! This is our first released game. website: http://www.spaceballgame.net Kirby, Leader Developer 
Posted December 24, 2006 5:20:19 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Can Mobile Payments Help You Get Paid? Ten times the users choosing mobile isn't the same as ten times conversion rate. This is a misleading claim, Mr. Spector. Do you have any data comparing conversion rates BEFORE mobile payment was implemented, versus the results AFTER? 
Posted June 21, 2010 3:01:53 AM
State Sponsored Terrorists Attack Relief Convoy on the High Seas - 10 Dead Quote:Original post by Ravyne On that note, does anyone actually know why/how the location for Isreal was decided upon? I don't think Palistine had anything to do with WW2, and it seems the Jewish people were essentially awarded Isreal for all the t... 
Posted June 1, 2010 1:37:54 AM
Game programmer feedback It looks excellent. I don't doubt you will be getting interviews. 
Posted May 31, 2010 1:54:04 PM
5 Creepy Ways Video Games Are Trying to Get You Addicted Quote: ...according to everything expert Malcolm Gladwell, to be satisfied with your job you need three things... Autonomy (that is, you have some say in what you do day to day); Complexity (so it's not mind-numbing repetition); Connection... 
Posted May 26, 2010 1:56:50 AM
hex versus squares for war games Quote:Original post by Talroth Quote:Original post by Stroppy Katamari Quote:Original post by Talroth Personally I'm a fan of dumping the hard cells of "One unit fits in one full cell" idea. To me it feels weird, and limits movement. If yo... 
Posted May 19, 2010 12:18:43 PM
hex versus squares for war games Quote:Original post by Rattrap Quote:Original post by Stroppy Katamari I haven't played much of this genre but I was definitely bothered by Civilization III operating on square grid when I tried it. I believe they are switching to a hex bas... 
Posted May 17, 2010 6:49:35 PM
hex versus squares for war games I agree hexes are better for tactical game play. On a square map, either you can attack diagonally, or you cannot. And they both feel unnatural. Squares seem to make for nicer looking maps. A rectangular feature just "looks right". 
Posted May 16, 2010 3:17:58 PM
hex versus squares for war games I tend to prefer hex as well. Squares feel toyish for some reason. In terms of time and distance scales, I'm thinking a movement speed of 3-5 squares per turn, 4 turns every 24 hours awarded at a randomized time for each player (but the same time... 
Posted May 14, 2010 11:39:27 PM
hex versus squares for war games Wouldn't you be spending a lot of time trying to position your pieces, so they're just in-range or just out-of-range? Anyway I'd be interested to check out Napoleon Total War. 
Posted May 14, 2010 1:32:22 AM
hex versus squares for war games I feel like the appeal of turn based play is you have certainty about your moves. You know exactly how your units are able to maneuver on the terrain. Unless there's a great game play benefit to doing away with tiles, I don't see why I should? 
Posted May 14, 2010 1:01:32 AM
View All Replies Made By This User