Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know swiftcoder...  
Full Name Tristam MacDonald
Nickname swiftcoder 
State/Province, Country MA   United States
GD Gathering City Boston, MA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://swiftcoder.wordpress.com/ 
ICQ ID swiftcoder@gmail.com 
AIM ID swiftcoder 
Yahoo IM ID swiftcoder 
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1769  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/3/2003 1:42:53 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
The Singleton Class Cluster
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Continuous visibility sets This probably belongs in one of the other forums, but I couldn't figure out which - feel free to move. I have a 2D multiplayer game, played from a top-down perspective. Each player has a single avatar, with a limited range of vision, which mo... 
Posted December 24, 2010 8:06:25 AM
Tessellation API bug? I just spent several hours tracking down a very hard-to-isolate issue with OpenGL 4.0 tessellation. While I now have a workaround, I am trying to figure out if this behaviour is documented anywhere (I can't find any mention), or if it is a driver bug... 
Posted November 21, 2010 3:47:21 PM
Quadtree entirely on GPU A while back someone commented on one of my planet videos, to ask if I was managing the quadtree for LOD on the CPU or entirely on the GPU via the geometry shader. At the time I didn't give it much thought, because I still needed... 
Posted October 23, 2010 10:48:25 AM
Managing Shaders/Effects A bit of background: I have worked a fair amount with OpenGL, but recently decided to take a look at DirectX, specifically DX11 via SlimDX. At this point I have a basic SlimDX application up and running (renders GPU-tesselated quads), but I am having... 
Posted October 3, 2010 6:29:44 PM
Edit date before post date I think the date/time for post edits may be in a different time zone to the post creation dates - a couple of times lately I have seen edit times an hour ahead of the post creation date. For example, this post by Sneftel was edited the best part o... 
Posted September 26, 2010 1:19:35 PM
Audio interference I just bought a very nice pair of headphones from Newegg, and the sound quality is a lot better than my previous cheap headphones. Unfortunately, the headers for my front-panel audio ports are located right under the edge of my video card, and with t... 
Posted June 19, 2010 11:21:01 AM
Starfall: planet rendering These are early screens from my planet rendering engine. I also recorded a youtube video so that you can see it in motion (apologies for the awful compression artefacts). From a technical standpoint, this is your standard 'exploded cube', with eac... 
Posted June 1, 2009 12:48:23 PM
Text rendering on CPU Referring to this thread from a while back: Quote:Original post by YannL Rendering bitmap fonts on the CPU is dirt cheap, and vector fonts aren't slow either. Both are highly multithreadable. And since text usually doesn't change multiple time... 
Posted May 28, 2010 7:30:21 PM
Debugging mobile safari crash? I am developing a soft-coding environment for the browser, intended to allow development in mobile Safari on the iPad. Along the way, I am implementing a textarea + javascript code editor, since mobile Safari is allergic to standard rich-tex... 
Posted April 4, 2010 9:06:12 AM
Interactive backstory generation What do you think of interactively generating the protagonist's backstory, as the game is played? I always feel that the character creation process in your typical RPG breaks immersion, so the idea here is to integrate RPG character creation more... 
Posted February 15, 2010 10:54:23 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
How should I release my source code under GPL but not my art/music? Quote:Original post by ricardo_ruiz_lopez Do you remember something similar to https://github.com/ericjohnson/canabalt-ios/blob/master/GAME_LICENSE.TXT? (free source code but restricted art/sounds)A single license to cover two separate items under... 
Posted January 6, 2011 8:27:06 PM
New Year's Resolution? Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz I'm thinking about getting a 1080p TV for my main monitor like 24 or 26 inches. Anyone had experience with this bad or good?Make sure the TV is as crisp as a regular computer monitor - most TVs are designed to be v... 
Posted January 6, 2011 6:14:29 PM
Are my goals realistic? Quote:Original post by Zahlman At least with assembly the beginner would actually learn something about how the computer really works<nitpick>I am not so sure about that. Assembly is not particularly less abstracted from the hardware than C++... 
Posted January 6, 2011 6:00:17 PM
First 3d Character ever It looks better than my last attempt [smile] 
Posted January 6, 2011 5:09:07 PM
How should I release my source code under GPL but not my art/music? Quote:Original post by ricardo_ruiz_lopez https://github.com/ericjohnson/canabalt-ios/blob/master/GAME_LICENSE.TXT What do you think?The disclaimer of warranty is copied verbatim from other sources, and as such is fairly standard, but given that... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:34:18 PM
The Daily GameDev.net Quote:Original post by cdoty I know ARM has been improving in the performance department, but is it close to the intel chips in performance?These chips are aimed for the mobile space, and that means that performance is not nearly as important as per... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:20:12 PM
bool slist percent true Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care A vector seemed like it would have more memory overhead. Iirc it could end up taking up a lot more space in memory because it reserves up to 2 times the size of the vector in memory, which with a bunch of vectors... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:04:56 PM
New Year's Resolution? Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey Quote:Original post by davepermen 1920x1200 waiting for 2560x1600 to one day come true..They exist, they're just expensive as hell.When money is no object... 
Posted January 6, 2011 12:26:58 PM
Can hardware of today handle processes like realistic characters, background Quote:Original post by mitdrissia The most realistic game i have seen untill today is "Heavy Rain".Heavy Rain had a development budget somewhere in the realm of $50 million, a 90 person acting cast, a several hundred person development team, and the... 
Posted January 6, 2011 9:30:11 AM
New Year's Resolution? Quote:Original post by Programmer One Mine is 3840x1080.Mine too, and it strikes me as possibly the least useful configuration I could have picked. Each individual monitor isn't quite wide enough to put up two websites side-by-side, the split do... 
Posted January 6, 2011 9:01:44 AM
View All Replies Made By This User