Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know grhodes_at_work...  Moderator - Math and Physics
Full Name Graham Rhodes
Nickname grhodes_at_work 
State/Province, Country NC   United States
GD Gathering City Raleigh, NC, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Handyman 
Job Description Lead Graphics/Physics Programmer/SW Architect 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1798  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/31/2000 1:36:13 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net//journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
NASA-sponsored mini-game released on Steam Hi, Our NASA-sponsored mini-game, "Moonbase Alpha" was released yesterday on Steam. The mini-game is free. Check it out! Steam link to game Moonbase Alpha Game Website NASA webpage describing the game  
Posted July 7, 2010 11:20:35 AM
Prototype NASA game to be released on Steam next week My company is partnering with NASA to develop a NASA-themed MMO. It'll take quite a while to complete the full MMO. In the meantime, we have developed a gameplay prototype/proof-of-concept mini game, and finally received approvals to release it. It'l... 
Posted June 30, 2010 5:23:32 PM
LaTeX - based equations in gamedev.net forums Folks, There is a sticky thread in another forum that shows how you can embed fancy LaTeX-based equations in your forum posts. That functionality seems really beneficial to the math & physics forum so I'm linking to the other thread here. Here is... 
Posted February 23, 2010 6:55:58 PM
List of physics engines and reference material (updated 23 Feb 2010) Someone suggested that it might be useful to have a sticky list of physics engines and reference material available here (for convenience...the info is all available elsewhere). So, I am giving it a try. This thread is not for discussions. It is s... 
Posted December 12, 2007 11:56:20 AM
the updated forum FAQ Folks, I have made some edits to the Forum FAQ. Mostly to correct broken links (perhaps not all of them), and fix outdated information about physics middleware and freeware. I invite you to review the FAQ. Let me know what you like, or don't li... 
Posted July 25, 2006 12:27:22 PM
"Dynamics of Atmospheric Flight" republished This is for anyone interested in creating a realistic flight simulator (e.g., very realistic vs. arcade-style physics). Bernard Etkin's classic text, "Dynamics of Atmospheric Flight" has been republished, sometime last year (2005). This is tr... 
Posted January 19, 2006 4:34:24 PM
Photos of my past experiments in airplane design Folks, I have to admit this is somewhat off topic, but not 100% off topic. The subject of airplane flight simulation comes around often here at gamedev. Some of you know that in a past life I was an aerospace engineer doing some work in the design... 
Posted December 9, 2005 1:08:50 AM
Game Programming Gems 6 - Chapter Proposals Requested Folks, Charles River Media is ramping up development of Game Programming Gems 6, the 6th book in their series. See the website below for details (schedule and submission sections are helpeful): Game Programming Gems I will once again be... 
Posted May 12, 2005 11:45:51 AM
sakky, please read sakky, I read your prior post addressed to me directly. Please contact me immediately via email so that we can communicate in a civilized manner. Use the email in my forum profile (see link above this message. Thank you! Graham Rhodes Pr... 
Posted June 1, 2004 3:07:03 PM
Forum Homework Policy Overview Hello All, I’ll get right to the point. I’ve noticed an increase lately in the number of posts that are either homework questions, or are indistinguishable from homework. I wanted to quickly review the policy for you. Here is the bo... 
Posted March 4, 2004 5:15:55 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Verlet sucks...need to move to the "true" RBD physics I might not fully understand your goals, but if part of your idea is to have a vehicle that can deform but always returns to its original shape...I would also suggest that you at least read up on using linear modal analysis (vibration analysis)... 
Posted January 6, 2011 3:00:44 PM
Verlet sucks...need to move to the "true" RBD physics Quote:Original post by Bow_vernon @mr grhodes: sir Im doing this for educational purpose and I have the passion for learning, no matter how steep the curves are :) Then I applaud you, sir! Move onward! If I have intelligent comments, I will... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:40:56 PM
Verlet sucks...need to move to the "true" RBD physics If you want to do rigid body dynamics, why not use an existing physics engine (Bullet, PhysX, ...)? If you are, as you wrote, "Im really new to this field of physics," I would think you'd want to avoid the complexities and frustration of building a p... 
Posted January 6, 2011 10:56:15 AM
Billiards, OpenGL and Tokamak I think the way I'd suggest doing this, given your comment that you're a noob in meshes, :), would be to represent the table as a set of boxes. The idea is to make one box whose top sits at the bottom of the pockets. Then make a bunch of other b... 
Posted January 5, 2011 12:49:08 PM
is WIKI dead? I'm moving this to the GDNet Comments, Suggestions, and Ideas forum, which is more appropriate for the post. 
Posted January 5, 2011 12:29:24 PM
Looking for a good book - Collision, Physics The essential math tutorial presentations, linked from the sticky thread that Numsgil mentioned, is a quite good introductory set that talks about collision detection and physics. Those slides, which are presented in a 2 day course each year at the G... 
Posted January 3, 2011 10:47:18 AM
little trouble with creating real-time vehicle PhysX The kinematic body would only be for the steering column, and it would affect the wheels via a joint that associates only the appropriate rotation component of the wheels....no translation. The steering column to wheels joint must not link... 
Posted December 22, 2010 11:48:02 AM
Calcualte distance I assume you mean the minimum distance, e.g., the distance where the boxes come closest to touching each other? 
Posted December 21, 2010 1:40:09 PM
[PhysX] Scene doesn't simulate? Need more information. What does your object setup code look like? The code you provided doesn't actually add anything to simulate into the scene. What exactly are you calling getGlobalPosition for? 
Posted December 21, 2010 1:33:42 PM
little trouble with creating real-time vehicle PhysX One way, I think, would be to create a kinematic body whose only purpose is to set an orientation, a steering column or something. When you move your controller, just explicitly have that change the kinematic steering column orientation. Now, fo... 
Posted December 21, 2010 1:31:44 PM
View All Replies Made By This User