Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know gav86...  
Full Name  
Nickname gav86 
State/Province, Country South Australia   Australia
GD Gathering City Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1020  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/19/2005 11:01:45 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
maya 7 PLE problems well i just installed maya 7 PLE, and for some reason all my viewports show up "blank" (ie you cant see anything in them, however if you do a preview render of the viewport, you CAN see what you should be able to in the preview) I managed to get &... 
Posted November 4, 2005 8:52:58 AM
Game artist's preference? Sorry for asking this question (its probably been asked a million times before, but I despise "search" functions on forums!) Anyway, as far as 3D game modelling/animation is concerned (rather than really high-res photoreal stuff), which is/a... 
Posted November 3, 2005 1:55:55 AM
Control System Survey OK I'm currently looking at designing a game for the Nintendo DS, making extensive use of the Stylus, due to the nature of the game I want to have separate control setups for lefthanded and right handed people. basically the two options will be... 
Posted October 31, 2005 6:54:44 AM
Importance of Formal Education OK, well basically I'm currently studyin a Ba. Computer Science, however i'm doing really badly at it because I find it impossible to get motivated. I feel like I would be able to learn far better in my own home rather than the university environm... 
Posted October 30, 2005 5:15:08 AM
Symbol ID Very simple question, I have some written notes from my lecturer on algebra. He uses a symbol that looks like an upside down "A" . . It seems to mean "if" or "when" or something like that, the context its used in is: "so ail=0 <upsidedown-... 
Posted October 30, 2005 6:53:56 PM
my Window class..just a small problem OK well im basically separating the window setting up process from the WinMain.cpp file, to keep things clearer, and also to save me having to write out all the win32 stuff everytime i begin a project. All I will do is say: Window* window = new Win... 
Posted October 30, 2005 3:37:11 AM
multiple header files OK, so designing an OO program, if I have two separate class header files, both of which require, lets say, d3d9.h, and both of which will be included in the main cpp file, how do I set it up? for example, if i have: #include <d3d9.h> in bo... 
Posted October 29, 2005 9:41:30 AM
stringifying in C++ OK well its come to my attention one thing im still very weak on are data types and such esp. when it comes to me wanting to output things in text using something along the lines of cout the current issue is: If i have a hex value betwee... 
Posted October 24, 2005 7:58:52 PM
combo fighting input Well i want to include a typical "arcade fighting" style control system, ie: double tap "forward" to run, press: "asdgsdajgdsiolgkhsdmfnasbc,nbsdvsfv<left><right><up>asdgashgdhdash" to perform super death hyperactive meg... 
Posted October 23, 2005 8:23:59 PM
XML/Expat tutorials? basically I'm looking to use xml in my game via the Expat parser. there arent really any tutorials on the site for it (there is one article but it doesnt explain itself well IMO), so was wondering if anyone had some links to any? 
Posted October 22, 2005 9:46:55 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
EA AI contest what program is it exactly they are using? It sounds almost identical to a program we used in our university course called "robocode" where user-programmed tanks fight each other (head to head or in teams) http://robocode.sourceforge.net/ 
Posted November 14, 2005 12:16:56 AM
maya 7 PLE problems Thanks. . . the strangest thing is, I have installed maya 7 PLE once before a few weeks ago, and it worked fine!! 
Posted November 9, 2005 7:13:38 PM
maya 7 PLE problems Everything is restored to default setting, nearclip & farclip is set correctly. Here is a screenshot of what I see in the viewports after hitting "F" for each one: What I can see 
Posted November 9, 2005 6:27:56 AM
2D into 3D Model i recently got a program demo on a 3DWorld Mag disc, It could do this, you had to set up flags/corners, links between the pictures etc. . . so its not great. . and like was mentioned before - curved surfaces are a problem. 
Posted November 9, 2005 6:04:20 AM
maya 7 PLE problems Hi, it cant be a driver issue (I dont think!) because i got one of the viewports to work by accident - so now I just have the other 3 to go (top, side, front)- If one is working, then it must be some setting or something that is individual... 
Posted November 4, 2005 9:18:14 PM
Game artist's preference? thanks, - I have played around with a very old version of 3ds max (3.1) and also the latest maya PLE (7), but I found maya to be really strange/un-intuitive compared to max. - Is the latest version of max similar? Also, is there a "learning edi... 
Posted November 4, 2005 8:41:41 AM
Making animating a breeze... I honestly dont think an "instant 2d to 3D" program is possible - 1)It has no idea what is behind/on the other side of the bits drawn 2)it doesnt know how "round" something is - ie how does it tell the difference between a 2D drawing of a circle... 
Posted November 3, 2005 2:11:39 AM
beginner, college.. My CS labs are done on Macs . . .and unix in later years windows XP?! I bet you had two-button mice as well! It really depends if you want to program the game mechanics or create the imagery - If you're good at computers you shouldnt have an... 
Posted November 3, 2005 2:01:28 AM
RPG Ideas Character classes are horrible IMO. if i wanted my character to be a ranger, I would work on my ranged combat skills, my stealth skills, etc.. The class "emerging" from my skills. I am split between no character development options (ie: Fi... 
Posted November 2, 2005 1:29:00 AM
Control System Survey It would be a little hard to customize this system, due to the specific nature the sword is controlled. (And pretty much everything else being controlled by stylus too) I guess you could reconfigure teh D-Pad so 'up' is 'down' ? =D j/k! 
Posted November 1, 2005 2:37:30 AM
View All Replies Made By This User