Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know freeworld...  
Full Name  
Nickname freeworld 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City friday harbor, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 970  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/7/2007 1:31:55 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
drawing water similar to that of pixel junks shooter I was wandering if anyone can push me in the right direction on how they animate the water in pixel junk shooter? I understand the basic of how to use particles to simulate the water... sorta. The problem comes down to making it look like wat... 
Posted November 5, 2010 8:00:23 PM
Should I use mipmapping with a orthographic projection? I was just wandering about something today, would mipmapping help using an orthographic projection? I work solely in 2D using dx9 and a ortho proj to map textures to screen space. And I've been using some rather large textures that alot of the times... 
Posted October 5, 2010 8:31:02 PM
what's the difference between returning refrence or pointer is there any difference between the following. int& Get() { return &myInt; }; int* Get() { return &myInt; }; and if i return it as const does it really limit me from calling an functions on that pointer that aren't const? Thanks for th... 
Posted August 27, 2010 10:41:29 PM
need some advice on how to design this. I've always had this idea of mixing the chemistry and gameplay together and after some a little research I found what I hope is a rather simple way to ... simplify it. heres a quick link to the pdf I'll be talking about, the diagram is at the bott... 
Posted August 24, 2010 12:24:21 AM
how can I generalize this situation or do I have to make things special ? I'm trying to change my little 2D rendering project to allow for different types of vertex formats without having to make special functions just to handle the different formats. right now I have the following. 1: a struct to hold all the genera... 
Posted August 9, 2010 7:18:01 PM
what program is the image from? image I've seen it a couple times and was just curious. 
Posted July 31, 2010 11:52:12 AM
copying a vector not working when doing it more than once? This is strange but I have a class that stores a std::vector, but the vector is created outside the class, then passed into the class. My intention is to not pass a pointer of the vector to the class but make a whole new copy so maybe I'm not doing t... 
Posted July 19, 2010 11:35:15 PM
Site has been loading slower and weirder! More any more over the past couple months the site has been taking longer and long er to load a single page, and alot of times there are glitches with the pages. I use the latest Firefox build, and run AVG+AdAware every day. Here is a screen of th... 
Posted July 15, 2010 12:26:07 AM
copy a pointed to variable while making a new one. I was wandering if it was possible to do this, just because I'm not sure how copying std::vectors works or if it does. class MyVar { std::vector vector; }; /* create a new instance of MyVar */ MyVar* v1 = new MyVar; /* create ano... 
Posted July 12, 2010 12:05:13 AM
Do games intentionally make the ai dumb? I'm working on a small game that is similar to the board game risk and as I'm designing how I want my ai to work. The more I think about it seems like I'm designing an AI that will always win, since there is a limited amount of things you can do... 
Posted June 19, 2010 11:44:03 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
What are bits? (Video game wise) I always thought it was a reference to how many colors that system could render. 
Posted November 28, 2010 12:15:16 AM
Help rendering a tiled heightfield instead of having each height represent an entire tile, you might want to look into having each vertex have it's own height.  
Posted November 7, 2010 7:47:52 PM
Design Documents another thing to think about this topic, is it is the same thing as how do i make a game engine. The design document has so many variables as to what is needed for a particular game that the document can be anything. My current design document for... 
Posted November 3, 2010 9:05:40 PM
Design Documents You at least need to have something stating what the game is how it should be played and basic ideas of what features you want in the game. Otherwise you'll end up a week into the game having all these great ideas, then the game just turns in a const... 
Posted November 3, 2010 5:50:52 PM
How to "Hide" .fx effect files? why are you so afraid of others seeing your effects files? If you're afraid they may tinker with them and cause problems with the app, that's they're problem. If you're afraid of them stealing your ideas, I hate to say there's not much you can come u... 
Posted November 2, 2010 2:12:38 AM
Games with 2.5D Isometric Graphics made from 2D images- NOT a 3d engine rendered 2.5D you mentioned Diablo 3, but did you ever consider diablo 2? or even diablo 1. both 2D games with an isometric view. any old Red alerts... hell pretty much any old rts game. Have you just never played a game in the past 10 years, there's quite alo... 
Posted November 2, 2010 2:08:49 AM
Too many calls Quote:Original post by Mohanddo Quote:Original post by rip-off You are assuming you know where your bottleneck lies. I think you are mistaken. The chances are that you are using a naive algorithm somewhere - collision is a common offender in simple... 
Posted October 27, 2010 5:22:36 PM
New free texture library! Quote:Original post by TheForgottenMindset Quote:Original post by phresnel Quote:Original post by 8d82 Forgive me my ignorance :) I've given some hints that can make you non-ignorant, tho. Don't be a jerk Yeah I did copy and past it, and I... 
Posted October 26, 2010 11:26:18 AM
Some C++ trouble are you linking to a debug or release time build of sdl? if you're trying to build a project in release mode, you should be linking to a release build of the sdl library. 
Posted October 23, 2010 11:11:36 PM
AI for strategy game You might want to translate that to english... the majority of people that will read this post are probably not going to understand a single thing on that site. My self included. 
Posted October 17, 2010 3:14:04 AM
View All Replies Made By This User