Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know slowmike...  
Full Name Michael Stevens
Nickname slowmike 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City San Jose, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title College Student 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1029  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/21/2005 1:48:16 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
64 bit gaming I've been thinking about building a new computer from the ground up. I'm currently trying to decide if I should go with a 64 bit system for the 1st time ever, or stick with the 32 bit. After searching the web, I've found that 64 bits systems will r... 
Posted November 28, 2010 2:05:04 PM
camera tutorial that allows full flips on x-axis? C++ / DirectX Hi, I'm looking for a solid camera tutorial or class code that allows FULL rotation on all axis. I'm working on a game set in space and the only Up or Down direction is in relation to my ship(camera). I'm looking f... 
Posted January 14, 2009 3:04:31 AM
Dumping DirectMusic for DirectSound Due to updating my SDK to August 2008, my older programs that used Direct Music no longer compile. I'm trying to implement Direct Sound in my current project, but I'm not sure how to load a .WAV file since DS doesn't have its own functions for doing... 
Posted December 13, 2008 4:50:51 PM
SPORE ctd cell stage XP SP3(spit on 3) Anybody else that bought Spore having problems? For me, the game crashes to the desktop 100% of the time after I enter a planet name and click the play button. The screen goes black and then 3 seconds later I'm at my desktop... 
Posted September 8, 2008 4:58:18 PM
distant object renders over near object I've got an object located at about 10.0f on the Z axis and another object at about 1.0f on the Z axis. For some reason, the object that's farther away is being rendered in front of the closer object. Any thoughts? When I move my camer... 
Posted April 24, 2008 1:05:33 PM
Class or Structure How do you know when to create a structure and when to create a class? For example, I could create my own texture structure, but I could also create my own texture class. I could even create both. So how do you know which to use? Please don't l... 
Posted April 19, 2008 5:41:23 PM
crazy bullets C++ DirectX I'm trying to shoot bullets in my 3D world from a 1st person perspective. So I want them to start at the camera's position and go in the direction the camera is facing, just like in a 1st person game. But when I fire a bullet, it st... 
Posted April 11, 2008 5:04:33 PM
My car needs a new motor?! 97' Toyota Corolla 125,000 miles Ok, my car has an oil leak. Then all of a sudden, it started making a loud clicking noise from under the hood. The noise would come and go. So about two days after first hearing this noise, I took it to the sho... 
Posted March 27, 2008 3:24:04 PM
exporting textures created in Blender Hey all, I just walked through a nice tutorial on creating new textures using Blender. Is there a way to save these newly created textures to separate JPG (or other format) files? Unfortunately, the tutorial didn't mention anything about... 
Posted January 26, 2008 5:59:42 PM
Upgrading to 2008 Express Hello, I'm currently using the following: Visual Studio .NET 2003 .NET Framework 1.1 Visual C++ .NET 2003 Standard I was thinking about finally upgrading to the following: Visual Studio .NET 2008 Express .NET Framework 3.5 Visual C++ 2008... 
Posted December 1, 2007 3:30:27 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
locally rotate in directx You may want to look at this thread that I started. I'm not sure if it'll help you out, but it might be worth a look. The code examples are using DirectX w/ C++. Good Luck! 
Posted February 3, 2009 12:11:12 PM
camera tutorial that allows full flips on x-axis? WooHoo! I finally got what I wanted. // CalcViewMatrix // Yaw rotation D3DXMATRIX yawMatrix; D3DXMatrixRotationAxis(&yawMatrix, &m_camUp, DEGTORAD(m_camYaw)); D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&m_camAim, &m_camAim, &yawMatrix); // Rotate look vecto... 
Posted January 17, 2009 8:15:58 PM
camera tutorial that allows full flips on x-axis? Quote:Original post by jyk Quote:Original post by slowmike Great. Thanks for the replies. Ok. I've got everything working fine, except that I need a clean way to calculate an upVector for my camera to be used in CalcViewMatrix(). Simply using up... 
Posted January 16, 2009 3:47:03 PM
camera tutorial that allows full flips on x-axis? Great. Thanks for the replies. Ok. I've got everything working fine, except that I need a clean way to calculate an upVector for my camera to be used in CalcViewMatrix(). Simply using upVec(0,1,0) is no good for what I'm doing. So, given two point... 
Posted January 15, 2009 4:27:58 PM
camera tutorial that allows full flips on x-axis? Thanks for your reply KulSeran. After I read-up on quaternions, I'll try to get this to work in my program. 
Posted January 14, 2009 11:48:25 AM
SPORE ctd cell stage Thanks for the replies. I finally found a fix for my problem! Well, I found someone else that found a fix. Click here to see the thread with the fix. All I had to do was set DirectX to use the RETAIL version of Direct3D in the DirectX Control Pane... 
Posted September 18, 2008 8:45:16 PM
distant object renders over near object I created a new project with the code stripped down to the bare essentials, but the problem remains. Quote:Original post by RabidDog Do you have a zbuffer setup, with write enabled and ztest less than equal? Can someone please explain which st... 
Posted April 26, 2008 12:57:44 AM
distant object renders over near object Quote:Also, don't forget to clear the depth buffer. d3dDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, clearColor, 1.0f, 0); I make this call once per frame, right before BeginScene. I'm still looking into the problem myself... 
Posted April 24, 2008 4:51:56 PM
distant object renders over near object D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS)); if(fullscreen) { d3dpp.Windowed = false; d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_FLIP; d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT; d3dpp.Prese... 
Posted April 24, 2008 2:11:33 PM
distant object renders over near object I'm setting the render state, D3DRS_ZENABLE to true. (??) Any code snippet in particular that you'd like to see? 
Posted April 24, 2008 1:21:36 PM
View All Replies Made By This User