Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know DWN...  
Full Name Dan Nielsen
Nickname DWN 
State/Province, Country AL   United States
GD Gathering City Birmingham, AL, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Seeking employ 
Job Description Software programming, testing, and analysis 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 945  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/26/2008 1:52:22 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Code reduction I've boiled this section of my C++ code down to the following: void hello() { cout<<"Hello world!"; } void goodbye() { cout<<"Goodbye world!"; } #define scriptRegisterFunction(func) EXPORTCH void func##ChDL(void* va... 
Posted December 28, 2010 9:13:26 PM
Rasterizing 45-deg rotated filled ellipse I would like an efficient algorithm for drawing a filled ellipse with a rotation of 45 degrees (coding in C). The function declaration is something like filledRotatedEllipse(unsigned int d0,unsigned int d1) where d0 is the major axis l... 
Posted November 15, 2010 5:02:48 AM
Polygon rasterization Okay, turn on your old-school brain. Why am I asking about drawing polys? The heart wants what it wants. If you must be hard-nosed, I am needing to integrate poly methods with alternative rendering methods, etc - w/o shaders, Vincent, etc. And i... 
Posted August 8, 2010 4:43:15 AM
Using goto efficiently I am using code that has extremely long conditional trees, like so: .. foo(..) { .. if (..) if (..) if (..) .. if (..) continue; else .. .. else (..) .. if (..) goto... 
Posted July 29, 2010 10:26:07 AM
Fixed-point problem (dist transform) Okay, normally I wouldn't put up a brief coding problem and request assistance, but I've spent a lot of time on this, and I'm now begging for another set of eyes. I am trying to convert the following code into int32 (fixed point): #defin... 
Posted July 25, 2010 10:25:52 AM
DirectDraw initialization Could someone please assist me by looking at this code snippet?... DirectDraw Mobile on Emulator running MS Mobile 6 ... RECT rect; rect.top=0; rect.bottom=0; rect.left=0; rect.right=0; TCHAR szTitle[MAXLOADSTRING]; //T... 
Posted June 23, 2010 8:29:55 PM
MS Emulator ROM 460x480x16 w/ backbuff SYSTEM: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 C++ Development Microsoft Mobile 6 Professional SDK I want to emulate a device with the following: 640x480x16b (VGA) w/ backbuffer There do not seem to be any popular mobile devices that support this.... 
Posted June 22, 2010 1:21:41 PM
Fully connected network Prepologies if this is a rather basic question. I wrote a little set of network methods a while back that I've been using. It uses a server to connect a few computers together. Once they are fully connected, it drops out. My question is, is... 
Posted February 18, 2009 4:47:38 PM
Contiguous memory I am programming in C++. If someone wanted all their data to be in a single memory pool (virtual memory pool, at least), it would be simple enough: Just allocate a big block of memory and set pointers into the memory block whenever creating a vari... 
Posted February 10, 2009 1:36:03 PM
RGB565 Hi, I am trying to use a fullscreen texture in RGB565 mode, and am needing to get the glTexImage2D() right. I followed the advice I found at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=398909 However, I get error C2065: 'GL_UN... 
Posted February 7, 2009 10:34:47 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Code reduction Can't we all just agree to call it octothorp-define? 
Posted December 30, 2010 3:24:06 AM
Code reduction Heh, I had a vague notion the term had something to do with the symbol being the button you "pound" after pressing a string of numbers on the pad or when trying to navigate a phone kiosk, but apparently it was actually derived from lb. 
Posted December 30, 2010 3:21:41 AM
Code reduction Who is "they"? I hear pound-define a lot, because it's more specific than just saying define. The interpretter's an object, but written that way in the snippet because it's easier to read. 
Posted December 29, 2010 12:36:38 PM
Code reduction Not sure if you're being serious - don't think anyone says hash-define or hash-include - sound like hash table methods. In other news, think I've almost figured out a solution. I hope.. 
Posted December 29, 2010 1:06:52 AM
Code reduction Just looked up macro stringification - been wondering how to do that for the past 10 years. Just a pound sign - aaa! :) 
Posted December 28, 2010 10:53:03 PM
First attempt at concept art I thought the leaves were intended to be stylized like that, kinda like so 
Posted October 6, 2010 8:03:58 AM
Point me to an old thread Is that related to the classic Russell paradox? 
Posted September 9, 2010 11:31:02 AM
C++ volunteer "a person must endeavor to marry the daughter of a Torah scholar, marry his daughter to a Torah scholar, eat and drink with Torah scholars, do business with Torah scholars..." Okay, that should have been in the headline: "Jewish partner wanted for... 
Posted September 8, 2010 4:10:08 AM
Lua Function Stack Sorry, this may not be helpful since I don't really use Lua and don't quite understand exactly what you mean by "last loaded script", but, just in case.. I recall reading that Lua uses coroutines, so it suspends states and returns to them. If that i... 
Posted August 31, 2010 3:19:19 PM
The worst flaws in game design! The other side of the coin from linearity as well: in an adventure game, suddenly opening a bunch of mostly unrelated scenes that are meant to be played in a specific sequence, especially if it takes a long time to travel from one to another. An... 
Posted August 31, 2010 12:46:59 PM
View All Replies Made By This User