Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Oogst...  
Full Name Joost van Dongen
Nickname Oogst 
State/Province, Country Noord-Brabant   Netherlands
GD Gathering City Oss, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.oogst3d.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Lead programmer 
Job Description Co-founder and lead programmer at Ronimo Games 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1096  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/1/2006 6:07:15 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
The power of gradient overlay in Swords & Soldiers This image shows how applying gradient overlays to the sky and to the background elements can change the look of a scene and add a lot of variation, without building tons of assets. These are shots from five different levels from Swords & Soldiers... 
Posted January 1, 2011 3:15:03 AM
Using graphics technology to create unique styles more It seems like most graphics technology and shaders and such are only used to achieve more realism, and sometimes nice cartoony effects. I think we as graphics programmers should also use this technology more to create unique and weird things, ex... 
Posted December 25, 2010 7:18:33 AM
OpenGL on user's systems We recently released Swords & Soldiers for PC, which uses OpenGL. Now I thought that OpenGL comes with the graphics drivers, but somehow for a very small percentage of users it doesn't. I have gotten a couple of support requests where the game does n... 
Posted December 24, 2010 5:51:32 AM
Automatic server switching I am working on an online multiplayer game with around half a dozen players. The player who first starts a match acts as the server. So there are NO dedicated servers. Now when the server leaves, I need to elect another player's computer to... 
Posted December 7, 2010 8:45:23 AM
glTexSubImage2D fails on some computers I use glTexSubImage2D to render characters of a font to a texture when needed. This works almost everywhere, but on some computers, the font just disappears after a while. This is what seems to happen on those computers: -initial charact... 
Posted December 2, 2010 4:30:35 AM
Sun rays in Proun For Proun, an abstract racing game for PC and Mac that I am working on in my spare time, I have added a sun rays post effect shader. The images show how that looks in game. The rays from the sun are calculated in real-time and nicely change as o... 
Posted November 15, 2010 3:17:28 PM
Saving screenbuffer alpha to a screenshot [SOLVED] I am trying to make screenshots that also store the alpha. However, for some reason the alpha always remains 255, no matter what I do. So I tried creating a really small test application to see whether I could replicate the issue there, but it still... 
Posted October 14, 2010 10:27:10 AM
Libraries for live sound analysis and VST output I'm working on a hobby concept for a multiplayer game with live music and I am wondering what code libraries to use to achieve the tech of this, so I hope you folks can give me some advice. The concept is not very clear in my mind yet, but i... 
Posted August 28, 2010 11:39:21 AM
Anaglyph 3D I am experimenting a bit with anaglyph 3D (stereo 3D with coloured glasses) and after reading quite a bit about it and getting it to work, I have some questions that I hope you folks can answer. :) The first question is what colours should general... 
Posted June 11, 2010 3:31:42 AM
Online highscores For the racing game Proun that I am working on, I would like to store the best track times online and show those in the game. So basically I want online highscores/leaderboards. So my question is: what is the easiest/fastest/safest way... 
Posted December 29, 2009 9:36:38 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
The power of gradient overlay in Swords & Soldiers Thanks! :) 
Posted January 3, 2011 9:42:15 AM
Using graphics technology to create unique styles more You're right, the article as a whole is aimed at both graphics programmers and game artists. But since I posted it here on Gamedev, I tried to focus on the programmers in my post here. I also posted it on CGTalk, which is more for the... 
Posted January 2, 2011 1:33:00 PM
Using graphics technology to create unique styles more Quote:Original post by Krypt0n so you're saying your technology is the same everyone else creates and it's the artist side that makes it look unique? I think the same, I can take UDK (+lightmass) and feed it with your art and it will probably look t... 
Posted December 28, 2010 1:49:22 PM
OpenGL on user's systems Quote:Original post by V-man That's the directx front end that users install. That is programmed by microsoft. The direct3d backend comes with the video drivers. GL doesn't have a front end. The entire driver is a single piece written by the IHV... 
Posted December 28, 2010 1:45:45 PM
Using graphics technology to create unique styles more Quote:Original post by Krypt0n I wonder why you don't lead by example. On one side you're saying you want to have more diverse graphic styles, on the other side your "Proun" game uses oldschool radiosity lightmap baking, like Quak... 
Posted December 28, 2010 6:29:40 AM
OpenGL on user's systems DirectX games often come with a certain version of DirectX that is automatically installed with the game. If I get this correctly, the something similar with OpenGL is not possible? Or at least not a good idea, since OpenGL ought to come with the dri... 
Posted December 26, 2010 6:27:35 AM
Using graphics technology to create unique styles more Quote:Original post by dehebo I agree, wrong audience. Art Leads and the like further up the chain decide on what look they want No no no! If the graphics programmer says that something cannot be done, than the art lead will look for someth... 
Posted December 25, 2010 5:22:53 PM
Automatic server switching I just learned via another route that there is actually a much easier solution: PS3, 360 and Steam all have automatic mechanisms for this, which I can simply use. :) As for the solutions proposed here: none of them really seem to handle the rare c... 
Posted December 7, 2010 2:26:03 PM
glTexSubImage2D fails on some computers I'm still wondering what went wrong here, but I fixed this by working around it: instead of updating part of the texture, I now keep the entire texture in normal memory and whenever I change something in it, I delete the texture from video memory and... 
Posted December 3, 2010 5:53:31 PM
glTexSubImage2D fails on some computers This is the code I use to create the font texture: glGenBuffers(1, &pixelBufferObjectID); glBindBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, pixelBufferObjectID); glBufferData(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, maximumGlyphDataSize, 0, GL_STREAM_DRAW); gl... 
Posted December 2, 2010 4:32:18 AM
View All Replies Made By This User