Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Silent Dragon...  
Full Name Alan Race
Nickname Silent Dragon 
State/Province, Country Nottinghamshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.silentdragon.co.uk 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1056  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/20/2004 8:43:40 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Using MVC design pattern I am currently writing a piece of software that uses the MVC pattern. I have a class, which can be called 'Element' for the sake of this discussion that holds data, so would be the 'model' part of MVC. I also have a class which display's the data (... 
Posted February 16, 2010 6:31:56 PM
Final year project ideas wanted Hi all, I'm currently in my 3rd year at University studying for a Software Engineering degree and have to begin thinking about what I want to do for my final year project. I have a couple of ideas myself, but I want to develop a piece of software... 
Posted April 28, 2009 9:05:42 AM
Linux frame buffer question Hi guys, Not really sure where this fits, as it's not related to Game Programming at all, it's just a general question..so anyway. Is it possible to have more than 1 frame buffer on linux? And/Or is it possible to hide the frame buffer from... 
Posted August 28, 2008 1:36:50 PM
A question of design. Hi all, I've been working on an RPG in C# and XNA (just so you understand the syntax) and have been storing my game details in XML files. The main problem I have is that my design doesn't seem all that great. Basically id numbers are used to as... 
Posted August 25, 2008 5:51:18 PM
[C# - XNA] 2D Tile Drawing, rounding error? Hi guys, I've recently been working on a tile engine in XNA and have a problem that I've been trying to fix for quite a while. The image below sums it up pretty much. As I scroll around, occasionally I get a gap inbetween tiles. I ass... 
Posted August 15, 2008 5:42:00 PM
[XNA] Scripting in C# and XNA Hey all, I have recently started a project using XNA and so far am enjoying it. I was thinking about using some sort of scripting system, and my first thought was Lua after hearing many wonderful things about it. After doing a bit of digging there d... 
Posted August 11, 2008 2:29:23 PM
JApplet and setting coordinates of components Hi, I have a JApplet with a JPanel inside it. On the JPanel there are 14 buttons, but I need to set the coordinates of these buttons and was wondering if there is an easy way. I've looked at setLocation, but that didn't seem to work when i tried... 
Posted March 6, 2007 4:19:02 PM
[Sorted...for now]CSS positioning being a pain.. Basically on me site i have a logo at the top left, a menu down the left hand side, a login box next to the logo at the top and then i need the main body to be under the logo and next to the menu. I have been trying methods with absolute and... 
Posted March 2, 2007 9:40:12 AM
Global variable or pass as class constructor variable? I was wondering if which is the 'better' way of having access to the graphics class in my design as follows? Main class creates graphics class (specifically HGE class using the HGE engine) and sets it up Main class sets up Game class and passes t... 
Posted February 20, 2007 1:09:56 PM
RPG Developers: Question to you How have you implemented the Items, Monsters and those kind of lists? SQL style database? XML and loading into memory when the game loads? your own files? your own database even? (Curious for my own project, so all answers welcomed ;) ) 
Posted February 15, 2007 11:28:17 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
PHP/Javascript Tile Map and Character Movement I don't really see the question here, but I assume you're unsure about how you can do the character movement without the page reload happening? You can use a key event function in javascript (an article on the differences between browsers... 
Posted May 26, 2010 7:40:56 AM
Cryptographically secure p2p network? Quote:Original post by dascandy Client A sends a connect request to server B. Server B sends its public key to client A Client A thinks up a random number a and sends g^a mod n, plus its public key, encrypted with B's public key, to server B. Ser... 
Posted May 17, 2010 10:22:35 AM
Using MVC design pattern Thanks Antheus. My understanding of MVC seems to have been a little off, so thanks for pointing out that distinction. MVVM seems interesting, but due to the fact I'm writing in Java I already have MVC set up in the form of Observable and Observer... 
Posted February 16, 2010 7:26:11 PM
(not)Attending University Lectures I often skip lectures, or waste them by day dreaming / writing on a shared piece of paper with friends instead of talking out loud. I know a lot of people who do the same too, so you aren't alone in that respect. As for feeling guilty, that d... 
Posted January 27, 2010 3:45:54 PM
Final year project ideas wanted Thanks for the reply. Yeah you are pretty much right in that it is a solo project that I'll be working on. I think it's possible to work in a team, but we've done plenty of team work over the course and I'm looking forward to working on a r... 
Posted April 28, 2009 10:00:05 AM
Linux frame buffer question Eh, thanks for the replies. It was a long shot really, I didn't expect anyone to give the perfect answer. Yeah the frame buffer is just a piece of memory, and i was referring to the in-kernel framebuffer. What I didn't realise when I wrote the post,... 
Posted August 30, 2008 9:24:54 PM
2D game programming: Dynamic sprites Well one way of doing it would be to draw the character sprite as the base and then draw the clothing sprites on top of it. That would require each item of clothing to be drawn in each direction that a player can be viewed in. There wou... 
Posted August 27, 2008 5:37:44 PM
A question of design. Quote:Original post by Shakedown Well, first things first: minimize database queries as much as possible. You should be able to reduce database queries to this: once when your game begins to load up any saved data (as well as static informatio... 
Posted August 26, 2008 2:06:08 PM
A question of design. Thank you for your reply! Quote:Original post by Shakedown First off, you probably want to separate anything regarding XML from the Player class. What if you decide you don't want to support XML anymore? You're forced to change your Player clas... 
Posted August 25, 2008 7:47:33 PM
Mentors? I have to agree with Drigovas. Pester your lecturers and especially go to lab times with 'demonstrators' to ask for help. I was a demonstrator for first year Java students at my University last year, and spent the majority of my time sitting there wa... 
Posted August 21, 2008 8:06:29 AM
View All Replies Made By This User