Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know JTippetts...  Moderator
Full Name Joshua Tippetts
Nickname JTippetts 
State/Province, Country AZ   United States
GD Gathering City Phoenix, AZ, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://members.gamedev.net/vertexnormal 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID Orthaux 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Subcontractor, new home construction 
Job Description Slave 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1818  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/4/2003 11:34:51 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/vertexnormal/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Isometric Revival Recent screenshot of my current project, As Yet Unnamed Isometric RPG. After tinkering around with 3D for a couple years, and briefly flirting with straight top-down tile games, I've come back to where my roots are. This screenshot represents some... 
Posted October 14, 2010 11:21:48 PM
Actionscript 3: Alpha blending using BitmapData.draw Recently, I've taken to playing around with ActionScript 3 development using Flex, and I've run across something that puzzles me. Perhaps I'm missing something completely obvious, but... Is there a way to perform (SourceColor*SourceAlpha)+(DestCol... 
Posted June 23, 2009 12:15:25 AM
Accidental Heightmap Editor These are screenshots of a cheap little heightmap editor I made. If you have followed my journal for the last few years (inactive as I have been lately) you might be aware of my various projects in random level generation, including playing with 3D t... 
Posted December 26, 2006 9:32:44 PM
Texture distortion on heightmapped terrain When you texture a heightmapped terrain by tiling a texture across it, areas where there is a steep slope between adjacent heightmap samples tend to stretch the texture if the heightmap texture coordinates are evenly spaced. Until recently, I lived w... 
Posted October 14, 2007 7:00:31 PM
Original Golem These are two shots from an old isometric game I was once working on, tentatively entitled Golem. Done in a style similar to Diablo/Diablo 2, Golem was a hack-and-slash with randomly generated levels, items and quests. Golem died a pro... 
Posted September 23, 2005 1:41:27 AM
Another random level tutorial: Turbulence I've got a rough draft (funny how all these articles remain perpetually in a rough draft state, isn't it? [grin] ) of a new Accidental Engine tutorial up on the site. Some Uses of Noise and Turbulence deals with a method for using Perlin noise t... 
Posted May 22, 2005 10:20:13 PM
New tutorial up: Randomly Generate Levels Thought this might be an appropriate place to post about this. I've uploaded an early version of part 1 of my random level generation tutorials. I'm hoping to do a few of them, since I still have a lot more to say. This first part introduces the g... 
Posted October 31, 2004 11:34:40 PM
New tutorial: Isometric Walls I've got a rough draft of a new tutorial on making isometric wall graphics online on my website. You can check it out here. Take a look and let me know what you think.  
Posted August 27, 2004 12:13:11 AM
Python2.3.3, Blender 2.33 Unicode error I've run into a bit of a minor problem I can't really figure out. I have Python 2.3.3 installed on a Linux machine, and several Blender scripts written originally with Blender 2.32 and using the array module to pack data to a binary file. Earlier... 
Posted May 7, 2004 4:37:23 AM
Pat Tillman killed in Afghanistan Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan yesterday. If you don’t know who he is, he was a football player for the Arizona Cardinals who decided to enlist rather than take a $3.6 million contract to keep playing. I was living in Mesa at the time he... 
Posted April 23, 2004 2:06:14 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
'Seeding' a noise based algorithm Quote:Original post by phresnel Mine, too [sad]. Is that a mathematical problem? pre-edit*: Libnoise uses the same approach as JTippetts: noisegen.cpp. *: an edit that occured before posting In my case, module chains can get pretty long (... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:14:53 PM
'Seeding' a noise based algorithm You can write a more complicated hash using something like this: unsigned int hash_coords2(int x, int y, unsigned seed) { unsigned char *p1=(unsigned char *)(&x); unsigned char *p2=(unsigned char *)(&y); unsigned char *p3=(unsign... 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:44:18 PM
'Seeding' a noise based algorithm The key is a function which hashes your coordinates into a single integer. In the reference implementation of Perlin noise, Ken Perlin set up a lookup table 512 elements long, that was filled with the values [0..255] duplicated twice, then the whole... 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:02:44 PM
General Perlin noise questions There are typically 3 variants of noise generators used in what people commonly call Perlin noise, although only 2 of those variants were really developed by Ken Perlin. The variant you are thinking of assigns a pseudo-random value to every grid... 
Posted January 3, 2011 9:01:57 PM
Help with tile engine Isometric and Tile-based Games at gamedev.net 
Posted November 22, 2010 5:55:41 PM
Game loop of an event driven engine Quote:Original post by chronozphere Ok, thanks! So there are no events leaking into the next frame? That is interesting, because I thought that that could happen. Events will trigger other events in most cases, so there is a fair chance that ther... 
Posted November 21, 2010 2:21:20 PM
Minecraft Clone It works on my Vista laptop (draws, anyway; I can't seem to move using the arrow keys, though). But so far, it looks good! In case you might be interested, I've done a journal post about some of my experiments in generating Minecraftian level... 
Posted November 20, 2010 2:00:48 PM
blender. aplying a bump map. Considering that 2.5 is basically a from-the-ground-up rebuild, it is very likely that your scripts will need much updating. For instance, last I checked they haven't completed a full Ogre meshes exporter for 2.5. To get bump maps working in 2.49,... 
Posted November 19, 2010 11:54:31 AM
World generation (Randomly) This type of generation is ideal for using fractal noise techniques. There are libraries available that can help you generate fractal Perlin noise from various basis functions. libnoise is one of these. Initially, fractal techniques are good... 
Posted November 9, 2010 5:59:52 PM
3D-Modeller for Game-Project Blender If you mean the actual people, it depends. If you don't have money, you can sometimes find free models online through laborious searching. Finding quality free models can require somewhat more searching, though. And finding models to... 
Posted November 1, 2010 10:36:18 AM
View All Replies Made By This User