Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know bwhiting...  
Full Name  
Nickname bwhiting 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1000  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/22/2010 11:55:13 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
object culling hello!!! just thought I would pose a question on object culling in 3d scenes. what I am after is a fast way to cull individual objects without using a partitioning system or hierarchy. the reason being I am still learning this stuff and... 
Posted December 1, 2010 4:47:43 PM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! Hello!! This has had me stumped for a while now so I though I would consult the guys in the know (you). I am newish to 3d and self-taught, working on a software 3d engine. Everything so far is going quite well :). I am however having a... 
Posted November 18, 2010 7:29:48 AM
2d point in a projected bounding box HALLLOOOO I am trying to implement some new ideas for 3d occlusion culling and one of them requires that I can test to see if a 2d point is within a projected (flat/2d) bounding box. I know how to check for a point in a polygon but I don't... 
Posted August 2, 2010 6:41:26 AM
tranform information from a .3ds file is it possible to obtain the tranformation of a 3ds encoded object in the form... x y z scaleX scaleY scaleZ rotationX rotationY rotationZ I have put together a basic 3ds file parser and it works ok. But it seems that the 3ds files I... 
Posted July 22, 2010 12:05:59 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Procedural 3D Primitives not the usual way to build a sphere, but you can do it by building a cube first with however many segments then effectively "sphereizing" it. i.e. move all the vertices so that are the same distance from the centre and you end up with a pretty neat s... 
Posted January 7, 2011 5:02:21 AM
object culling Quote:Original post by dpadam450 I currently use a bounding sphere and hold onto the last side it failed from, so if it was on the left of the screen last frame, I see if it is still outside the left edge before checking if it is behind me... 
Posted December 1, 2010 5:43:01 PM
object culling thanks for the response, will give the bounding sphere vs frustum check a whirl see how I get on. Should the 6 frustum checks be faster still than the projetion? Dont know the math off the top of my head but seems like it might be more compelex.... 
Posted December 1, 2010 5:17:43 PM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! cheers for the info! about to put in some basic clipping, hurrah! but initially only for the near plane. :) 
Posted November 24, 2010 4:58:25 AM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! Quote:Original post by 0xffffffff Ben, there is no "correct" screen coordinate for a point that wouldn't be visible at all. No amount of flipping things around is going to compensate for the fact that you're viewing things out the backside of your v... 
Posted November 19, 2010 12:47:47 PM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! draw them, where they will be clipped natively by the flash platform, while its still a form of overdraw, i only indent it to be used for minor infringements, and it should be about a billion times faster than frustum culling.  
Posted November 19, 2010 12:31:01 PM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! I was thinking more of a way to correct the projection, because at that point I am iterating through the vertices only... no info about polygons or uvs here. so something like .. for each(var verticy:VectorB3D in vertices) { var x:Numb... 
Posted November 19, 2010 3:22:49 AM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! cheers guys am on flash platform, at the moment am getting fairly decent performance for anything upto 10,000 polys (might sound a bit pant's but for flash its ok) Am pretty sure to that clipping will kill it in its tracks speed-wise, its... 
Posted November 18, 2010 1:01:29 PM
pseudorandom coordinate generation out of interest how were you rendering your stars in flash, as pixels on a bitmapdata?  
Posted November 18, 2010 9:49:24 AM
Projecting points that are behind the camera?!!?! partly because I am pretty sure there is a way to solve it. but mostly because of speed slowdown of clipping on the platform I am programming on plus from what I gather its fairly challenging to implement (bear in mind Im a relative novi... 
Posted November 18, 2010 9:21:56 AM
View All Replies Made By This User