Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know TimothyFarrar...  
Full Name Timothy Farrar
Nickname TimothyFarrar 
State/Province, Country IL   United States
GD Gathering City Westmont, IL, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.farrarfocus.com/atom 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Owner/Programmer/Artist/Etc 
Job Description Do cool stuff! 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1073  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/22/2007 10:51:16 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Normalized Hermite Quaternion Interpolation Anyone care to share their thoughts on rotational interpolation for long time distance keyframes? What has worked for you and why? Both practical and incorrect-but-optimized suggestions welcomed. I not tied to an animation package so I can... 
Posted October 13, 2007 4:34:36 PM
Vertex Buffer/Attribute Compression Anyone using half floats in vertex buffers as a form of compression (instead of full 32bit floats)? What I am really wondering is if the newer GPU's (like the GeForce 8 series) have the ability when fetching vertex attributes to expand half floats... 
Posted November 7, 2007 11:26:41 AM
# of Interpolated Varyings, Hidden Costs? General question for later model GPU's, Besides the obvious performance issues of number of texture fetches and operations, are there any hidden costs (clock cycles and memory bandwidth) associated with having a large number of interpolated (or e... 
Posted November 3, 2007 6:34:21 PM
Future of OpenGL on the Mac With the release of Leopard, Apple has also updated their OpenGL Capabilities Tables and Supported OpenGL Extensions Guide. Apple is introducing some of the basic Shader Model 4.0 functionality (geometry shaders, transform feedback, gpu shader4) &... 
Posted November 1, 2007 6:56:43 PM
ATI/AMD HD SM4.0 Features Anyone know what SM4.0 features are supported and working on the ATI/AMD HD 2xxx series cards? A glxinfo printout (or something similar) of the supported opengl extensions would be an excellent answer! (example below). Sorry, would seem li... 
Posted October 28, 2007 10:42:42 PM
Atom The real-time screen captures are from an independent game in development called Atom. The full 1600x800 resolution screenshots can be viewed here, featured image | 2nd image | 3rd image. About the Atom Atom started with the idea to go back to... 
Posted August 2, 2007 3:30:39 PM
Shader Model 4.0, Bilinear Vertex Texture Fetch? Quick dumb question, but I cannot seem to get google to answer this one, With Shader Model 4.0, if your texture is setup for bilinear filtering, does reading from this texture in a vertex shader return a bilinear filtered result? Or do yo... 
Posted September 26, 2007 3:40:28 PM
Transparent Rendering Pass :: Overdraw Reduction I'm hoping someone with some more knowledge of early stencil or z clipping on the "newer" GPUs could chime in here ... or someone who has some other ideas on transparent overdraw reduction! The basic idea is to massively reduce overdraw... 
Posted September 24, 2007 12:15:06 PM
8800 Texture Buffer Object Extension Anyone know of any examples of EXT_texture_buffer_object usage on the new NVidia 8 series cards? The online spec is good (link below), but I have yet to find a working example, http://developer.download.nvidia.com/opengl/specs/GL_EXT_te... 
Posted May 23, 2007 5:09:27 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
I need a cross-paltform(windows,linux,macosx) free sound library Do you have any Port Audio Has better Windows interface (WDM-KS) vs DirectSound (emulated on Vista) for SDL. 
Posted January 23, 2008 12:04:13 PM
back to the future - OpenGL + GLSL on Linux First, I see a lot of claims that the NVidia's Linux drivers are slower than the Windows ones, anyone care to post something that actually verifies this? Actual glGetQueryObjectiv(query,GL_QUERY_RESULT,&result) timed results would be excellent?... 
Posted January 22, 2008 5:54:03 PM
On which physical cpu/core does a process run? Yeah, a getcpu() syscall will probably never happen in the main branch. Still your own personal kernel patch might be the best option. I've done it before (custom modified http server running kernel side), and it's not bad if you are using it for... 
Posted January 18, 2008 4:43:35 PM
On which physical cpu/core does a process run? Oh, if you go the modify the kernel route, this will help if you intend to add a syscall to return CPU info to a userspace process, http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Implement-Sys-Call-Linux-2.6-i386/ BTW, looks like a getcpu() vsyscall has bee... 
Posted January 17, 2008 4:47:13 PM
On which physical cpu/core does a process run? Probably one the best questions on this forum in a while. I don't know of any easy way to do this. You could try and modify the kernel to log the information (which is going to be tremendous BTW and slow everything down). Doing this... 
Posted January 17, 2008 2:17:52 PM
How to use SSE, inline assembly I believe gcc has some built in vectorization ability without inline assembly or intrinsics. Might want to google that. Intrinsics are really easy to use however, and also tend to port really well between windows/unix/mac on different compile... 
Posted January 17, 2008 1:54:12 PM
Fish eye Quote:Original post by wolf that looks really cool. Can you share the algo for rendering in 360 degrees that you use? It looks like a sinusoidal projection to me. 
Posted January 8, 2008 7:33:52 AM
3D textures I believe for DX10.1 you can have cubemap arrays where {x,y,z} selects the position in the cubemap, and {w} selects the cubemap from the array of cubemaps. This is known as a texture array in OpenGL, but there is no support for cubemap texture arrays... 
Posted December 15, 2007 2:22:50 PM
Did anyone get Texture Buffer Objects to work? I've been using TBOs also, but not with integers. Perhaps it is a driver bug, I'd suggest checking if you have the newest drivers (latest Linux-64bit driver released Sept 18th, don't know about windows off-hand). Also if it is simply a driver bug... 
Posted November 19, 2007 9:21:05 AM
Radiosity + Participating media Quote:Original post by Poons my radiosity renderer works quite well now Screen shot?  
Posted November 13, 2007 9:30:33 AM
View All Replies Made By This User