Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know sbroumley...  
Full Name Stephen Broumley
Nickname sbroumley 
State/Province, Country TX   United States
GD Gathering City Austin, TX, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Technical Director 
Job Description Video games software engineer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1122  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/17/2002 1:18:34 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
indie iphone game "Hi, How Are You" now available! Hi everyone, The indie iphone game that my friend (Peter "Dr Fun Fun" Franco - artwork) and I (Steve "Smashing" Broumley - programming) have developed is finally available in the app store! I've used this excellent website over the years to exp... 
Posted September 29, 2009 9:17:02 AM
Anyone know of a good open source audio file conversion library? Does anyone know of a good "free" PC audio conversion library/SDK. I'm basically looking to be able to load a number of different file formats (mp3, aiff etc), and be able to convert them to the .wav format. I don't really need to have the source co... 
Posted July 10, 2008 4:41:21 PM
Constant screen space thickness toon black outline I have a very simple vertex toon shader that creates a toon black outline on objects by simply inverting the object and scaling the verts out along their normal like so: Vertex shader HLSL code: // Compute vertex pushed along its norma... 
Posted June 23, 2008 5:10:33 AM
vcproj build order Does anyone know how to explicitly control the order in which .vcproj files are built in MS-Visual Studio? I basically have several .vcproj files in a solution. One of the .vcproj files is the .exe (so it depends on all the other .vcproj... 
Posted May 4, 2008 5:02:05 AM
A Robust Alternative to Perspective Shadow Mapping - What space? I had a quick go at plugging the technique mentioned in this thread into my simple shadow mapping test (which works on it's own). The problem is I can't get it to work - it's probably due to me not understanding what space the "shadowTextureC... 
Posted October 23, 2006 11:08:26 PM
Single core hyper threaded machine optimizations I have an intel pentium 4, 2.8Ghz single core, hyperthreaded CPU I had a go at optimizing my simple test bed engine to be mutli-threaded and the results are interesting: The main program (main thread) handles the logic and builds a display list... 
Posted September 28, 2006 12:08:00 AM
What are people using for tool dev these days? It's been a while since I've written a 3d game editor using windows, and I'm curious to hear what people are using these days. In the past I've used MFC and XtremeToolKit. I've heard of people switching over to using c#, and a few libs such as wx... 
Posted April 8, 2006 2:19:44 AM
Question on paper: "Meshless Deformations Based On Shape Matching" I'm currently trying to implement a soft body simulation similar to the one in the paper "Meshless Deformations Based On Shape Matching". Now I can follow the paper, but I'm confused by the math used to perform the shape matching. Name... 
Posted January 23, 2006 1:24:18 AM
Happy New Year! I just wanted to shout out to the gamdev community and say it's they best game-dev web site there is! - I've learned so much from the physics and math forum in the last year and look forward to another year of great stuff! I wish you all a Happy N... 
Posted January 1, 2006 4:15:23 AM
Are there any skin optimizers out there? I'm currently tinkering around with vertex shaders and skinning and I've hit a problem that I'm sure people have already solved: Basically, say my vertex shader only has room for 30 bone matrices, but my model has 90 bones, then I need to bre... 
Posted December 3, 2005 12:10:32 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
indie iphone game "Hi, How Are You" now available! Thanks ricardo_ruiz_lopez! Integrating facebook took me about a week. As usual with this kind of stuff it took 1 hour to integrate the code, then another 5 days to fix/workaround the bugs. There are a couple of parts to facebook integration: ... 
Posted October 1, 2009 2:51:21 PM
indie iphone game "Hi, How Are You" now available! Sure no problem. The only thing I can't talk about are iPhone Hardware/SDK specifics since they fall under the Apple - developer Agreement. So the editor/graphics/physics are all home brew creations that I've worked on over the last year... 
Posted September 30, 2009 10:04:45 PM
indie iphone game "Hi, How Are You" now available! If the contract/monthly fees are putting you off an iphone, I highly recommend buying the new 3rd generation ipod touch (32GB or 64GB version since they have the new faster cpu/gpu that is also in the 3GS iphone). My 3 year old and 6 year old are... 
Posted September 29, 2009 2:29:26 PM
Anyone know of a good open source audio file conversion library? thanks for the replies guys (+'ve ratings applied) Googling around, I did find a direct-show example that looks like it can convert audio formats. Only problem with it is I have to download it via the latest windows SDK which sounds like a rig... 
Posted July 11, 2008 1:44:21 PM
Anyone know of a good open source audio file conversion library? thanks for the replies guys (+'ve ratings applied) Googling around, I did find a direct-show example that looks like it can convert audio formats. Only problem with it is I have to download it via the latest windows SDK which sounds like a rig... 
Posted July 11, 2008 1:43:45 PM
Constant screen space thickness toon black outline Thanks for the reply Dave. I understand the high level of what I need to do like you suggest, it's the implementation that I'm hung up on. Ideally I'd like to do it per vertex, rather than have a per object scale. So in the vertex shader, I j... 
Posted June 23, 2008 4:09:16 PM
vcproj build order Exactly Sneftel. If only I could control this (eg. order of vcproj files in the solution file would work just fine). And yes rolkA - /MP does fix this issue for PC builds. Unfortunately there are other MS platforms involved that don't recogni... 
Posted May 4, 2008 6:08:19 PM
vcproj build order Okay let me give you more info: Project A (.lib) takes 20 mins to compile individually Project B (.lib) takes 10 mins to compile individually Project C (.lib) takes 10 mins to compile individually Project D (.exe) takes 5 secs to compile/link a... 
Posted May 4, 2008 4:57:02 PM
vcproj build order Thanks for the reply. You've describes what I've already been through but I don't want to do it via dependencies since it breaks the parallel builds - which I have to have. I'm trying to figure out how .net decides the build order of the other... 
Posted May 4, 2008 3:27:09 PM
Distance between Ellipsoid & Plane wrt "The problem is, all of the collision triangles need to be transformed to the ellipsoidal space". You actually only need to transforms the triangles that overlap the movement bounding box of the ellipsoid. The movement bounding box is eas... 
Posted July 31, 2007 3:00:36 AM
View All Replies Made By This User