Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Scarabus2...  
Full Name Erik Benerdal
Nickname Scarabus2 
State/Province, Country Vasterbottens Lan   Sweden
GD Gathering City Umea, Vasterbottens Lan, Sweden
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.visualnovelty.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 973  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/13/2008 6:08:45 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
DirectShow: Playing audio from memory I'm using DirectShow to play audio (and video) in my game engine. I have an asset management system that can read file assets off the hard drive or from a compressed archive. The latter will decompress and load files into memory. How should I go a... 
Posted June 5, 2010 4:17:49 PM
Migrating to Visual studio 2010 (wtf error) I just installed Visual studio 2010 and is in the process of migrating my project, but I can't compile. In fact I can't compile anything at all. It seems to get the filenames all wrong: LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'ÿþ/.obj... 
Posted April 26, 2010 4:25:10 PM
Threaded Disk IO I'm writing a tool that scans all files inside a folder to calculate the total size of that folder including all of its subfolders. The overhead for checking the size of a file becomes quite significant when you're checking thousands of files so I... 
Posted January 10, 2010 9:34:28 AM
DirectX and Uniscribe Hey. I have a question relating to drawing text in DirectX in combination with Uniscribe. I'm developing an engine and editor for visual novels. The current engine supports both bitmap fonts as well as system fonts (using ID3DXFont::DrawText). Ho... 
Posted December 13, 2009 3:27:08 PM
Bug with property accessors? I think I've encountered a bug. I'm not really sure how to explain it because I don't fully understand it myself. I noticed that one of my scripts stopped behaving like it should. It's a simple script (executed every frame on a persisten... 
Posted November 11, 2009 12:11:27 PM
Compound assignment ops on property accessors Any chance of seeing compound assignment operators working with property accessors? Maybe where "object.property += value;" is transformed by the engine into a get, the operation and a set: "object.property = object.property + value;" The reason... 
Posted October 30, 2009 11:02:22 AM
Assertions on compile This issue started once I updated from 2.16.3 to 2.17.1 (and remained in 2.17.2). I have a function in my engine that returns an object handle by name from the current scene: r = engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("Object@ GetObject(const str... 
Posted October 21, 2009 11:16:03 AM
Novelty - Visual novel maker Novelty is a tool for creating visual novels that I have worked on for a couple of years. Unlike most VN engines, Novelty is WYSIWYG and doesn't require the user to learn a complicated scripting language. The major design points are: no progr... 
Posted October 3, 2009 11:49:25 PM
Specific hardware issue Hi. I'm working on a visual novel maker called Novelty (www.visualnovelty.com) and I've run into a very specific problem that I need some help with. Some of my users have experienced a bug where images (regular textured quads) won't render p... 
Posted May 26, 2009 2:38:03 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Why Must Games Be Fair? Because we pay money for games. Or, because we don't want our time to be wasted on poorly designed games. 
Posted October 24, 2010 3:39:53 AM
Windows XP: Is it dead yet? I didn't mind XP when I was still using it but once I had switched to 7 I never looked back. XP feels terribly unmodern to me now. That said I'm still developing with DirectX 9 and many of my users run XP. 
Posted October 18, 2010 9:35:01 AM
Is anybody here a Christian? Grew up in a protestant home but is now an open atheist. I have pretty strong opinion on the evangelical flavor of christianity and other fundamentalists, but it serves no purpose for me to share them here. 
Posted September 13, 2010 3:12:16 AM
The worst flaws in game design! Artificially prolonging the game by deliberately slowing down game mechanics and/or player progress. [Insert favorite MMORPG here]. This is why I stopped playing that entire genre. 
Posted August 31, 2010 10:35:23 AM
C++ std containers, reverse iterators, and erase() On the topic of stl containers I just want to append a link to Channel 9's introduction video series on the subject: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 They have gotten to iterators yet, but still. 
Posted August 27, 2010 5:31:22 PM
C++ std containers, reverse iterators, and erase() You can't call erase with a reverse_iterator. Simple as that. I don't know what the specific reason for this is but I'm sure someone else can enlighten us. Maybe you should consider using a different container if performance is important when rem... 
Posted August 26, 2010 7:37:34 AM
Migrating to Visual studio 2010 (wtf error) Ran a computer-wide search for cl.exe and found a stray one in System32. Now who the heck put that there?! Thanks to everyone who guided me in the right direction. 
Posted April 27, 2010 3:18:21 PM
Migrating to Visual studio 2010 (wtf error) So the question is, how do I keep VS2010 from using a decade old compiler? 
Posted April 27, 2010 1:14:18 PM
Migrating to Visual studio 2010 (wtf error) Ah, I see. I did install the Beta before. I think that I uninstalled it, but now that I think about it I'm not so sure. I will investigate. 
Posted April 27, 2010 2:31:01 AM
Migrating to Visual studio 2010 (wtf error) I installed it from disc. I have VS2005 and 2008 installed on the same machine. I uninstalled 2005, but the problem remained. Do I really have to uninstall 2008 as well? I'm reluctant to do that until I know for sure that 2010 can replace it. 
Posted April 27, 2010 12:51:34 AM
View All Replies Made By This User