Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know rick_appleton...  
Full Name Rick Appleton
Nickname rick_appleton 
State/Province, Country Zuid-Holland   Netherlands
GD Gathering City Delft, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.daedalus-development.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1494  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/29/2002 11:47:23 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Web editor Hi everyone, I'm looking for a free WYSIWYG editor to create some relatively simple webpages. I need support for both regular HTML and PHP, and the ability to enter either at will in addition to the graphical editing. Ideally I'd also be able to e... 
Posted October 5, 2010 3:46:03 AM
Switching between GLSL from files and inline I've been wanting this for ages, and have even tried to do it a few times, but I've never succeeded. I want to have GLSL code in it's own seperate file, which can either be - loaded at runtime or - be included into the build at compile time ... 
Posted October 22, 2009 9:42:12 AM
boost::spirit match leading text I've been using the following rule to match a string like 'flight0_5.flt': boost::spirit::rule<> match = str_p("flight") >> int_p[push_back_a(data)] >> "_" >> int_p[push_back_a(data)] >> ".flt" ... 
Posted July 8, 2009 4:29:15 AM
Removing some stickies There are currently 5 sticky topics in all forums, only one of which has had a reply since November 2008. One more (Facebook and LinkedIn) seems partly relevant, but surely the other three can be removed now? 
Posted April 2, 2009 5:34:40 AM
GNU Make issue I'm having issues using defines in a Makefile. The following makefile PROGRAMS = server client .PHONY: all all: $(PROGRAMS) server_LIBS := priv protocol client_LIBS := protocol define PROGRAM_template $(1): cc $($(1)_LIBS) -o... 
Posted March 13, 2009 5:34:06 AM
OpenGL different rendering on different PCs I'm trying to make something of a UnitTest library for my renderers, and I've just tried running it on a different PC. Unfortunately, that PC gives different results when rendering. - The first issue I noticed is that the same clear color giv... 
Posted January 11, 2009 3:06:53 PM
Pushing or pulling renderables? I'm considering how to refactor my renderer, and I'm wondering which of the following options to go with. Assuming all textures, materials and meshes are loaded and that the renderer can access them through a Renderable-object. 1. Pulling: Wheneve... 
Posted January 3, 2009 10:24:05 AM
PBuffer without a regular context? Is here a way to create a PBuffer context without needing to create a regular context first? I'm looking to create a non-visible rendering context to run some graphical tests with, but it seems I need to create a regular window first. If this is the... 
Posted January 2, 2009 6:07:08 AM
Converting to DDS on linux Does anyone know of a command-line tool in Linux that can convert images to DDS? (Preferably with support for SGI images). Something along the lines of nvDXT would be nice, but that's Windows only. The only thing I can find is a plugin f... 
Posted December 12, 2008 7:50:05 AM
Timing a C++ build in Visual Studio 2005 This used to be easy to do in 2003, but I can't find any options in 2005. The only thing I could find on the net is to set the MSBuild project build output to Normal or higher, but that didn't do anything for me. 
Posted December 9, 2008 1:06:58 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Web editor Thanks for your reply. I already know HTML/CSS, but using a graphical editor is much faster, hence my request. I did mention I also want to be able to add HTML/PHP manually. Kind regards, Rick 
Posted October 6, 2010 3:17:01 AM
Using Abstraction to Optimize Runtime Polymorphism Quote:Original post by no such user Quote:Original post by MrRowl The vtable is still stored per object, not per object type Not on any commercial C++ implementation that I'm aware of. Although the vtable is stored per object type, the poi... 
Posted July 12, 2010 2:25:59 PM
A better C++ IDE? Quote:Original post by Zipster About the only thing I use it for is quick F12 symbol look-up but it can't even do that right a lot of the time :/ At this point I should probably just disable it. I recall that Alt+G does that same thing in... 
Posted February 13, 2009 7:52:51 AM
Pushing or pulling renderables? Thank you all for your replies, they've made me consider exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the post. I'll expound on that first. I've never been a fan of a single hierarchy to represent the world for all systems. I've always felt that... 
Posted January 4, 2009 9:54:07 AM
PBuffer without a regular context? Thank you both Rob and Yann. That seems clear-cut then. I'll definately need a PBuffer instead of a non-visible window. I'm looking into creating some unit-tests for my renderers to make sure they keep working correctly as I refactor them. For thi... 
Posted January 3, 2009 3:11:07 AM
PBuffer without a regular context? Quote:Original post by Andrew Kabakwu I dont have an answer, but I'd like to recommend that you look into using Frame Buffer Objects instead of PBuffers. Thanks for your reply. However, it's quite unhelpful (as you already mentioned): 1. __WHY... 
Posted January 2, 2009 8:51:43 AM
Timing a C++ build in Visual Studio 2005 Or in other words, look better. I can't believe I missed that! Thanks a lot Josh, it's much appreciated. And the fact it even works with Make projects is awesome. 
Posted December 9, 2008 1:13:39 PM
Asset management A very interesting discussion here. I'm of the mind that all source should go into Source Control, both code and assets. After all, that is code other than an asset? Intermediary files (output from 3d editor export for example) should also go in.... 
Posted November 29, 2008 6:54:38 AM
Programmer Wanted for DS title I've sent you a PM. 
Posted November 14, 2008 2:58:12 AM
Boost.Test with multiple files Yep, that fixed it. I totally hadn't noticed I was including a different header than some examples. Thanks a lot! 
Posted October 27, 2008 2:57:27 PM
View All Replies Made By This User