Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Nairb...  
Full Name Brian Sowers
Nickname Nairb 
State/Province, Country NC   United States
GD Gathering City Durham, NC, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.theanimalfarmcreations.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Engineer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1111  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/10/2000 1:03:20 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
GBA Development from the Ground Up Series
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
2D Artists Wanted: "Abe Lincoln and the Velociraptor" Team name: The Animal Farm Project name: Abe Lincoln and the Velociraptor (title tentative) Brief description: I have written up a pitch document which can be found here: AbeAndTheVelociraptorPitch.pdf For those that don't want to follow th... 
Posted August 1, 2010 1:07:26 PM
See the Light These are images from See the Light, my first Android game (now in the market). It was a port of my game of the same name for Xbox Live Indie Games. The port actually has more features than the XBLIG version until I do an update. :-) The game is... 
Posted June 28, 2010 11:41:00 AM
Android Dev on 'Locked' Phone? This doesn't seem like appropriate Lounge conversation, but the other forums seemed less appropriate. ^^ I'm kicking off some Android development. I'd like to be able to test on a real phone without purchasing the $400 dev phone. But I don'... 
Posted May 29, 2010 6:43:11 PM
XBLIG Game Released: See the Light Hey guys, My first Xbox Live Indie Games game, See the Light, just became available on Xbox Live! Thought I'd share with my favorite game dev community. It's a small puzzle game about bending light using mirrors, lenses, disco balls, and ot... 
Posted December 22, 2009 4:04:21 PM
Destructible 3D Environments My current game idea is a cross between Worms, Smash Brothers, and Soldat - basically four people running around, blowing out holes in the environment so they can knock enemies through them, sending opponents plummeting to their death. The environme... 
Posted September 10, 2009 12:03:12 AM
2D Artist Wanted for XNA Sci-Fi Rogue-Like Team name: The Animal Farm Creations Project name: Monolith Brief description: Far in the future, a spaceship is drifting aimlessly through space. Caleb, sent on a mission to investigate the seemingly derelict vessel, finds the entire... 
Posted May 27, 2009 11:34:52 PM
Triangle/Frustum Intersection Using SAT I'm fairly new to using SAT. I think I understand the general principle, but in practice I'm not sure if I'm using it right (I think I might be overcalculating things). So I'm testing collision between a triangle and frustum. This is for doing a... 
Posted May 14, 2009 11:52:13 PM
Swept ellipsoid-ellipsoid collision Last collision question for a while, I promise. :-) Does anyone have a good resource for swept ellipsoid to ellipsoid collision? I'm already using swept ellipsoid-triangle collision for my general level collision, and I'd ideally like to use thos... 
Posted May 1, 2009 10:27:14 PM
Spatial partitions & bounding volumes Currently working out the collision intricacies for a game I'm working on and ran into this question: If I have a bounding ellipsoid with a velocity and I want to grab the potential colliding triangles from a spatial partition (let's say a qu... 
Posted April 23, 2009 12:50:51 AM
Good Books Asking this question for an artist pal of mine: She knows Maya but is new to game art. What are some good books to check out? Tutorials and videos are good, and she's definitely looking through those, but she'd like to pick up a handy book or tw... 
Posted April 24, 2009 8:25:28 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Android opengl app Questions: (1) What behavior are you observing? Is it that nothing at all is displaying? Or a white quad? (2) Are you setting the projection matrix anywhere? (3) Do you have face culling enabled? Have you tried disabling it? (4) Where are you c... 
Posted December 30, 2010 4:23:21 PM
[OpenGL] How to make my own version of glTranslate etc.? Translation, rotation, and scaling can be expressed entirely by matrices which you can multiply appropriately to get the same effect that OpenGL gets: Quick Reference I found in Google  
Posted December 27, 2010 11:55:56 AM
Using blender as a map building tool? Quote:Now I have to ask myself why not just use blender to build my game's maps? If it's doing everything you need it to do, do it. You can certainly build levels easily enough with Blender. I've worked in professional studios that used Maya for... 
Posted December 27, 2010 11:47:33 AM
Collision for non-tile-based side-scroller? For something non-tile based, you might make a separate tool to draw collision boundaries onto your scene (arbitrary polygons) or onto objects you place in the scene. Then collision detection becomes testing your character bounding volumes... 
Posted December 23, 2010 4:34:12 PM
Getting licensed to develop a PlayStation Network game for the PS3. Quote:In short, almost everything I read tells me that getting licensed for the PlayStation 3 is nearly impossible for a team with no experience. It's difficult even for a team *with* experience. Read everything frob said. It would be beneficial... 
Posted December 3, 2010 8:34:56 PM
Design Documents I'll write up a small bit before diving into the game and then continually modify/append/edit the document during development. How much I write initially depends on how many people I'm working with, but generally it conveys just enough informat... 
Posted November 2, 2010 3:18:22 PM
Research Papers Google Scholar. For a good number of the papers you'll either need to pay money or have some kind of account; if you're on a university, you may have access to the papers for free already. You'll be able to find free PDFs of some of the pape... 
Posted October 23, 2010 1:38:43 PM
Questions for Android Developers. Quote:Firstly is it difficulty making a cross compatible app for different screen sizes and those that have buttons/single touch/multi touch screens? Not especially difficult, no. Android can handle some of the scaling for you: http://developer.a... 
Posted October 15, 2010 1:41:02 PM
Un-named iPhone Game Quote:Does anyone know how to record video from the iphone? Or should I just capture video from my mac? You can get some video out cables for iPhone, but your app has to explicitly support video out, and I'm not sure how to do that (or whether you... 
Posted October 12, 2010 3:19:07 PM
get a message Quote:The problem is '*acRetData' only return '1' when the message is '13', return '2' when '21'. The question is is there a way to make *acRetData return a full message? Sounds like you want to read up on atoi, which converts a C-s... 
Posted August 3, 2010 1:53:48 AM
View All Replies Made By This User