Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Karl G...  
Full Name Karl G
Nickname Karl G 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.unseenstudios.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID engelbericus 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description Programmer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1043  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/15/2003 10:23:48 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Evidyon These are images from Evidyon, a fast-paced 3d isometric online role-playing game I programmed over the last few years. My brother Erich created almost all of the custom meshes for the game, and our friend Joe Muller was the main source of insp... 
Posted February 2, 2010 7:19:38 PM
Evidyon Goes Open Source! Get a free copy of everything behind my Diablo-like MORPG. Hi everyone, My name is Karl Gluck, and I have spent the last 10 years learning to program video games--and I owe a lot to GameDev.Net for providing great articles from which to learn along the way. It's my turn to give back: I have decided to... 
Posted January 26, 2010 7:43:43 PM
Straightforward C++ = ASM optimization question void do_something(const double variable) { ... } void call_do_something() { double dummy; do_something(dummy); } Does specifying "const" cause the compiler to avoid the normal assembler push/pop of 'dummy' that happens when invoking do_s... 
Posted November 26, 2008 6:11:52 PM
Bug: Lit, skinned animation with indexed vertex blending I would consider this an advanced topic. It might be a long shot, but I'd like to see if anyone else has encountered this bug. I am using the FF pipeline because I want this code to run on old hardware. I am using indexed blended vertex... 
Posted November 24, 2008 8:08:50 AM
Network Game Skeleton - free, well-commented source code! Download the Source (6 MB) View the Documentation Hello fellow developers! It's been quite a while since I have posted here, but I still check the boards often and finally believe I might have something you would be interested in. This is a bit... 
Posted March 27, 2007 5:18:02 PM
Single-Pass Multitexturing Hey guys. I know this topic has been addressed before, but the search is being dumb (sql timeout after blah blah seconds...etc) and I can't find any resources on it. Story is, I'm doing multitexturing in C++ using Direct3D 9.0c and I can't... 
Posted November 30, 2004 7:36:30 PM
Human Female Models... Hey all, We're having a tough time deciding which model shows more promise, and should therefore be worked on, between these two. One of them is anatomically correct, and the other is stylized. It's a bit of a heated debate so if you co... 
Posted October 17, 2004 5:17:23 PM
Is Winsock thread-safe? I remember reading somewhere that the basic Winsock 2 functions (not those Microsoft WSA-whatevers) are not thread safe. This doesn't make sense though, because Winsock 2 is a DLL file, and to be able to be accessed by multiple programs it must be a... 
Posted September 18, 2004 2:49:28 PM
Teaching Tips? I'm considering teaching an extracurricular class next year next year consisting of C++ with an emphasis on game programming with DirectX. The people learning would have a general knowledge of how to use C++ and the compiler, but would be com... 
Posted July 3, 2004 7:51:50 PM
VC6's inline assembler... Hey folks, I was just wondering if anyone's found a comprehensive reference of all of the assembler operations supported by MSVC++ 6, along with a description of them. The help files that come with it are pretty much worthless and my numerous goo... 
Posted June 29, 2004 9:55:43 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Straightforward C++ = ASM optimization question Quote:Why do you think "const" makes a difference here? The caller has to communicate information to the callee, and wether he treats that information as const or not doesn't really change anything for the caller, does it? If you specify a variabl... 
Posted November 26, 2008 10:44:34 PM
Bug: Lit, skinned animation with indexed vertex blending Ah! PIX, of course! I ran a very simple test scene through PIX, and thanks to your help I think I'm getting closer to an answer. There are 21 bone matrices in this mesh. Splitting up the draw calls into sets of 16 polygons, I traced backward... 
Posted November 26, 2008 9:40:46 AM
Bug: Lit, skinned animation with indexed vertex blending Thank you for your replies. As I said, there is nothing unusual being output from the debug runtime; just the usual occasional warning that a state change is being ignored because it is already set. Thanks for the tip J-Fox; however, I tried sp... 
Posted November 25, 2008 7:44:21 PM
Network Game Skeleton - free, well-commented source code! Ah! You found the one line of code I had to change to update to VC2005 (it was complaining that strncpy was deprecated). Your listing is what I originally had :) If you have any problems or need anything explained, let me know and I'll be h... 
Posted March 28, 2007 8:27:41 AM
Destructible terrain Look up the function D3DXIntersectSubset 
Posted September 10, 2005 3:58:12 PM
Single-Pass Multitexturing Name, you are amazing!!! It worked perfectly--thank you SO MUCH!! Karl 
Posted December 1, 2004 8:05:29 AM
will directX take an animated mesh with a 3DS biped in it? Simple answer, no it won't work. There aren't any exporters I know of that export biped animations correctly to .X format; you just need to rig and use FK the character normally. 
Posted November 23, 2004 3:53:40 PM
storing character data in a (M)MORPG Graveyard-- I don't think anyone mentioned this befure, but I wanted to let you know that using a MySQL database in your game either requires the entire game to be open source, or for you to purchase a license. 
Posted November 23, 2004 12:53:02 PM
MultiAnim sdk sample and the "Wave" anim To answer your question as it is phrased, there isn't a way NOT to. All aniumation controllers HAVE to share their frame hierarchy. To answer what I think you're trying to ask (how to get multiple animations to affect a single body), there is. L... 
Posted November 23, 2004 10:56:17 AM
Human Female Models... Yeah it would probably help to know the style. This is meant for a role-playing game, so think of this as your standard adventurer off for a quest in the woods. 
Posted October 17, 2004 5:58:13 PM
View All Replies Made By This User