Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know phantom...  Moderator
Full Name Rob Jones
Nickname phantom 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1945  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/15/2001 11:01:49 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/phantom/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
OpenGL Frame Buffer Object 101
OpenGL Frame Buffer Object 201
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
LCD TV Advice.. Having recently moved into a new place I find myself in need of a TV for the first time in.. well, years... however I'm somewhat lacking of knowledge in this area so I thought where better than gd.net to get some advice? [grin] I'm looking at some... 
Posted August 5, 2010 10:40:47 AM
Dynamic Buffers and Compute Shaders I'm currently working on a compute shader which is effectively a rehash of my final year degree project and I've hit a bit of a snag. I need to have a structured buffer which I can write to every frame (or maybe every couple of frames, but ce... 
Posted November 22, 2009 11:14:44 AM
Obtaining system information Does anyone know of a lib or classes, C++ or .Net based, which would allow me to obtain various system information? Mostly I'm after processor type, speed, number of physics and logical cores active and what level of SSE support they have and opti... 
Posted October 13, 2009 3:00:45 PM
Michael Jackson - RIP? The interwebs are a buzz with the new that Michael Jackson has died... Currently the major new sources, such as the BBC are only reporting he is in hospital, but a 'celebrity news site' has reported that here is dead. I dare say the truth... 
Posted June 25, 2009 5:42:12 PM
XNA3.1 Profiling tools I've had a bit of a google about but tbh this is all a dark area to me so as I'm off to bed I figured I'd throw this out there; Anyone know of any code profiling tools which work with C# and XNA3.1 in perticular? 
Posted June 13, 2009 9:51:27 PM
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Either I'm out of the loop or this has only just been announced for the 360 and PS3; Trailer. 3rd person Warhammer 40K game? DO WANT! 
Posted May 29, 2009 4:32:32 PM
Some Feedback would be nice :) hi So, I'm new around these parts, mostly hiding in the technical forums, however the other day I decided to get my head in the game, music wise, and try some stuff out. The following is something I've been working on for a couple of days,... 
Posted May 16, 2009 1:07:32 PM
[XNA] Downloadable content packs In my head i'm kicking around an idea for a game, however as part of this I'd like to be able to make the game 'extendable' so that myself, or a 3rd party, could add maps to it later. Now, on the PC side of things this would be no problem, ju... 
Posted November 28, 2008 6:11:32 PM
IRC Clients - What is it that sucks about them? The other weekend I woke up with an unholy urge, and once I'd slaughted a few goats and rolled around in the blood I decided to write an IRC client mostly so I could mess about with RegEx stuff in C#. However I figure that I might as well mak... 
Posted October 30, 2008 3:53:25 PM
DVD Transcoding type.. thing So, I've alot of DVDs with various films and TV programs laying about the place and getting to them isn't overly easy at times, I'd much rather just have direct access via my PC or other media streaming system. As such I'm looking for recommendati... 
Posted October 6, 2008 7:17:09 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
New Year's Resolution? 1080p on a monitor would just be too little for me; even my 17" laptop runs at 1920*1200, those extra few pixels make the world of difference. I keep toying with the idea of a 3rd monitor being a 30" monster, but then I remember I don't want... 
Posted January 6, 2011 6:49:06 PM
Asynchronous Scripting That's the kind of thing that co-routines are perfectly suited to. To be honest you DONT want scripts like that just 'working in the background' anyway; at each rendering/logic step you need to know where things are so having them perform operatio... 
Posted January 6, 2011 6:44:39 PM
Dynamic functions and variables.. Quote:Original post by rip-off I would advise you forget about assembler for the moment. I second this. Also, when you are ready for native/JIT support I wouldn't even consider doing it yourself, instead I'd look into using something like LL... 
Posted January 6, 2011 7:50:48 AM
What's a "Scene Graph"? Quote:Original post by Rubicon phantom, if that were true then all the 3rd party engines out there would be ditching them. I don't keep up to the minute on all the various engines so I shall go out on a limb here. Surely there are miles mo... 
Posted January 3, 2011 9:09:55 AM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Quote:Original post by CadetUmfer In C, rand() just isn't thread safe, and they're not babying you if you forget. Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear; the quoted bit was what I was simply pondering on. I'd never looked into what the C Run... 
Posted January 2, 2011 10:29:40 PM
What's a "Scene Graph"? Quote:Original post by Rubicon Therefore it's been totally replaced by "new thinking" to make data management harder and save perhaps a couple of nS on the fairly idle cpu. It's not been replaced by 'new thinking', it's been replaced by peop... 
Posted January 2, 2011 10:22:37 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Quote:Original post by CadetUmfer No one complains about calling rand() from anywhere, though of course it stores state. The state is static, it can only be touched in that module (local, not global). You know, this makes me wonder ho... 
Posted January 2, 2011 10:09:06 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Ugh.. I shouldn't, but sleep isn't calling me yet so... Quote:Original post by Rubicon What I'm really on about is to write some code to turn the wheels and make it a method called CCar::TurnWheels(float dt); As opposed to thinking about... 
Posted January 2, 2011 10:06:22 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Yeah, wasn't meant as an attack or anything, more to highlight the dangers of such mindsets in general [smile] 
Posted January 2, 2011 8:43:51 PM
Ways to avoid the needs and the musts of global variables?? Quote:Original post by TheTroll There is a huge difference between writing a game (in which much of the code will never be used again), and writing an application that is going to be maintained for many many years. The problem is if the game do... 
Posted January 2, 2011 8:38:04 PM
View All Replies Made By This User